Knife found at OJ Simpson's old house

Fez

On the stranger side of the news...

Apparently, at some point in the past, a construction worker working at the site of OJ Simpson's old house, found a knife buried there. Its not clear when this happened, whether it was 1998 when the house was demolished or some other time. It almost certainly happened well after OJ was found not guilty though.

The construction worker turned the knife over to a cop, who decided to keep the knife for himself. The only reason its now known about is that sometime in the past month or two, this cop was getting ready to retire and decided he wanted to get the knife engraved; so he asked someone in the homicide division for the LAPD case number assigned to the Brown/Goldman murders. That cop got suspicious and told his superiors, and the LAPD demanded that the knife be turned over, which it was, and now they are investigating it for forensic evidence. It is still an active case, after all.

OJ cannot be tried again for the murders, but if the knife ends up having his fingerprints and Brown and Goldman's blood, or something like that, I wonder if there's any sort of perjury charge from the original case that could be brought against him. Or maybe the knife will actually point to someone else! (ha!)

Either way, just a really strange story.

8 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Heard something about this on the radio this morning. What a weird story. If all that is true (and it's hard to swallow the whole tale) that retired cop ought to be in a lot of trouble.

Press conference by the LAPD now http://www.cbsnews.com/live/?linkId=21928300

They've confirmed that the knife was in the hands of an LAPD officer and had been since "the 1990s." 

ETA: And actually the cop has been retired since the 1990s as well. 

I'm not a criminal law attorney, but I would imagine that the "chain of custody" issues with this particular piece of evidence would prohibit it from ever being admitted in a Court proceeding. But, if it was tested and it had Simpsons' fingerprint and the blood of the victims, it would pretty much convince me. 

12 minutes ago, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

I'm not a criminal law attorney, but I would imagine that the "chain of custody" issues with this particular piece of evidence would prohibit it from ever being admitted in a Court proceeding. But, if it was tested and it had Simpsons' fingerprint and the blood of the victims, it would pretty much convince me. 

It is not like they can recharge OJ for the murders.  Admissibility is a moot point in this time.

I am in the camp of why does a former LAPD officer have this important evidence from a crime scene.  

37 minutes ago, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

You mean you aren't convinced yet?  :stunned:   

As to why the ex-cop had the knife, there was NOTHING about this case that was typical.  The popularity and fame of Simpson, the shocking nature of the killings, the bizarro way he conducted himself immediately afterwards all combined to make this case something that the media pounced on and spewed out at us for months.  ANYTHING from this case (or even thought to be - it could easily be something just planted there by a "jokester") could go for big bucks on Ebay. 

Unfortunately, many of the police in this matter acted irresponsibly, if not reprehensibly.  Not in somehow "framing" the Juice, but in coddling and kissing his ass for YEARS, all through the 911 calls Nicole made, pleading for help. 

31 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I am in the camp of why does a former LAPD officer have this important evidence from a crime scene.  

Here's another fun fact, per the LAPD spokesperson, the officer in question ended up with the knife because he was working off-duty for a movie that was filming on the street outside the house when whoever found the knife (LAPD hasn't confirmed that it was a construction worker) came up and gave it to him.

The more I hear about this story the more I love it; if only because it harkens back to a simpler time in our national discourse.

1 minute ago, Tears of Lys said:

You mean you aren't convinced yet?  :stunned:   

I do think OJ probably killed them, but I would not say that I am firm in my conviction. I think it is most likely what happened, but being "convinced" speaks to a certain level of conviction beyond what I currently have. 

6 minutes ago, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

I do think OJ probably killed them, but I would not say that I am firm in my conviction. I think it is most likely what happened, but being "convinced" speaks to a certain level of conviction beyond what I currently have. 

Fair enough.  I assume, then, you aren't familiar with the evidence that was gathered. 

4 minutes ago, Kay Fury said:

Another really strange aspect of the case is his defense team had his house redecorated to be "more black"

Well, that's not entirely untrue, but it is kind of misleading. OJ's defense team did redecorate his house to make him seem more relate-able to the jury, which was majority African American. Most of what they did I would charitably describe as "sanitizing" -  removing pictures of OJ with white women and removing a nude picture of one of his white girlfriends and replacing them with pictures of his family and other black people. 

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not so strange if that occurred before or during the trial. Pretty much a cornerstone of the defenses tactics was appealing to a mostly black jury.

It was but that just seems like an odd way to go about appealing to the jury. Acquittal through home decor

Just now, Kay Fury said:

It was but that just seems like an odd way to go about appealing to the jury. Acquittal through home decor

Criminal defense attorneys always want their clients to be relate-able and to put on a certain appearance for the jury. They're always putting on a show. It's just not in every case that the jury gets to walk through a client's house. But in principle, this is no different than the idea of dressing up the client in a jacket and slacks for the trial when their normal apparel is t-shirts and jeans. 

Archived