Moments of Foreshadowing v.11

Lost Melnibonean

First time I enter the re-read section...

during the first reading, I got only the main things:

- I got Jon wasn't Ned's son (but I thought he was Robert's bastard, thinking out of his love for Robert he agreed to pretend it was his, I didn't get it was Lyanna's... then when we got to know that Robert didn't care of hiding his bastards at all, I just thought 'I don't know who the mother is')

- the famous Arya/Needle quote; the various king/queen references, etc.

- the Tyrion / gargoyle analogy and the related quotes

- the passage where Daenerys places the dragon eggs in specific positions near Drogo's body, as foreshadowing of the 3 heads of the dragon (iin case you're interested y can read my opinion here)

etc.

then re-reading, wow there are SO many things!

Besides the Lady Stoneheart thing etc., I would add (just the first ones coming to my mind, not the only ones):

"hoooodor, said Hodor, swaying. Hoooooodor, Hooooodor, hoDOR, hoDOR, hoDOR. Sometimes he liked to do this, just saying his name different ways, over and over and hover" (A storm of swords). => Hold the Door

"I cannot die when Cersei lives - he told himself - We will die together as we were born together(A storm of swords)  => Jamie dying or committing suicide when he kills Cersei

- "Mance ... he had a passion for wilding music. And for their women as well (...). Why did he desert? For a wench, some day. For a crown, others would have it. .... Mance was the same, he never learned how to obey. <No more than me>, Jon said quietly" (A clash of kings) => Jon / Mance parallelism => Jon leaving the NW as a deserter (the vow is for life only because people are supposed to have just one life) to become King in the North.

"when Sansa had first beheld the Great Sept with its marble walls and seven crystal towers, she'd thought it was the most beautiful building in the world, but that had been before Jeoffrey beheaded her father on its steps. <I want it burned>. <Hush child, the gods will hear you>. <why should they? they never hear my prayers>. <yes they do>." (A clash of Kings) => IF it's gonna burn in the books too (which I think is likely to happen) the Great Sept burning;

- "Cersei was waiting for him. She would have need of him. And Tyrion, his little brother, who loved him for a lie." => this, said by Jamie before we knew Jamie lied about Tysha when he said she was a whore, foreshadows it.

When they emerged from Wat’s Wood, they found themselves well upstream of the dam. The waters had risen high enough for Dunk to take that soak he’d dreamed of. Deep enough to drown a man, he thought. 

The Sworn Sword

Foreshadows Ser Lucas Inchfield's fate.

This is a bit more detail than we need to tell the story...

Dawn came too soon. Outside the stables the smallest of the three horse litters stood ready, the cedarwood litter with the red silk draperies. The captain chose twenty spears to accompany it, out of the thirty who were posted at the Water Gardens; the rest would stay to guard the grounds and children, some of whom were the sons and daughters of great lords and wealthy merchants.

The Captain of the Guards, Feast 2

Only ten spears to guard the sons and daughters of great lords and wealthy merchants? I wonder whether that’s gonna come back and bite Doran in the behind?

“Tell me of the battle.” As keeper of Harrenhal’s ravens, Qyburn would have been the first to hear the news.
“Lord Stannis was caught between your father and the fire. It’s said the Imp set the river itself aflame.”
Jaime saw green flames reaching up into the sky higher than the tallest towers, as burning men screamed in the streets. I have dreamed this dream before.(ASoS, Ch.31 Jaime IV)

Well, I won't say you haven't Jaime, but there were no burning men in the streets of King's Landing - the burning men did not get through the gates to the city. Then.

“Tommen tells me that Lord Tyrell intends to rebuild the Tower of the Hand,” Cersei said.
Ser Kevan nodded. “The new tower will be twice as tall as the one you burned, he says.”(ADwD, Epilogue)

ETA

Will you come with me?”
“Where?”
“To speak with an archmaester.”
You must tell them, Sam, Maester Aemon had said. You must tell the archmaesters. “Very well.” He could always return to the Seneschal on the morrow, with a penny in his hand.(AFfC, Ch.45 Samwell V)

Sam isn't going to return to the Seneschal tommorrow. He isn't going to tell the archmaesters, the way Aemon intended.

The path divided where the statue of King Daeron the First sat astride his tall stone horse, his sword lifted toward Dorne... At the Weeping Dock, he watched two acolytes help an old man into a boat for the short voyage to the Bloody Isle. A young mother climbed in after him, a babe not much older than Gilly’s squalling in her arms. Beneath the dock, some cook’s boys waded in the shallows, gathering frogs. (AFfC, Ch.45 Samwell V)

He is headed for Dorne (him, or the faceless man that slays the slayer)

He had hoped to hear Lord Wyman say, And now I shall declare for King Stannis, but instead the fat man smiled an odd, twinkling smile and said, "And now I have a wedding to attend. I am too fat to sit a horse, as any man with eyes can plainly see. As a boy I loved to ride, and as a young man I handled a mount well enough to win some small acclaim in the lists, but those days are done. My body has become a prison more dire than the Wolf's Den

Davos IV - A Dance With Dragons

Could the bolded part be foreshadowing to confirm the theory Jon will be trapped in Ghost for a while after the stabbing, until his body is ressurected? What really stood out to me was using the word dire when he could easily had used another word

3 hours ago, The North Forgot said:

Davos IV - A Dance With Dragons

Could the bolded part be foreshadowing to confirm the theory Jon will be trapped in Ghost for a while after the stabbing, until his body is ressurected? What really stood out to me was using the word dire when he could easily had used another word

I seem to recall that suggestion before, so you are not alone. 

Arya is the Last Hero, and Sandor is her/his dog. The whole thing is about Arya, with Sandor.

"Now these were the days before the Andals came, and long before the women fled across the narrow sea from the cities of the Rhoyne, and the hundred kingdoms of those times were the kingdoms of the First Men, who had taken these lands from the children of the forest. Yet here and there in the fastness of the woods the children still lived in their wooden cities and hollow hills, and the faces in the trees kept watch. So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. For years he searched, until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities. One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. And the Others smelled the hot blood in him, and came silent on his trail, stalking him with packs of pale white spiders big as hounds—"

The door opened with a bang, and Bran's heart leapt up into his mouth in sudden fear, but it was only Maester Luwin, with Hodor looming in the stairway behind him. "Hodor!" the stableboy announced, as was his custom, smiling hugely at them all.

First bold is referencing Nymeria, obvious Arya connection and a parallel. It also puts a time frame to things. Eventually the narrow sea will run dry and Arya will lead the realm of men (or convince them) into the dried out seabed, as Nymeria lead her people to the sea to eventual salvation.

What she's doing, she's doing on Bran's orders. His whispers. She's going for a magical purpose related to the COTF.

Needle, whatever palfrey, Sandor and whoever else. (Sam will be one)

Everyone dies, including her dog, Sandor. Note the emphasis on the dog. And the horse, dead. Needle snapping.

Note hounds, then to huge smiling Hodor. We all know how Hodor is going down.

"Well," said Yoren, "maybe he will and maybe he won't. Good men have gone into those woods before, and never come out."

All Bran could think of was Old Nan's story of the Others and the last hero, hounded through the white woods by dead men and spiders big as hounds. He was afraid for a moment, until he remembered how that story ended. "The children will help him," he blurted, "the children of the forest!"

Hounded, hounds. Sandor is going to die, then he's going to become a wight, and hound her. But she'll make it, and the COTF will 'help her'. The magics that will win back what the armies of men have lost. Maybe, the help is that they can turn Sandor back, and everyone like him.

"The girl," she said. "A girl in grey on a dying horse. Jon Snow's sister." Who else could it be? She was racing to him for protection, that much Melisandre had seen clearly. "I have seen her in my flames, but only once. We must win the lord commander's trust, and the only way to do that is to save her."

"Me save her, you mean? The Lord o' Bones?" He laughed. "No one ever trusted Rattleshirt but fools. Snow's not that. If his sister needs saving, he'll send his crows. I would."

"He is not you. He made his vows and means to live by them. The Night's Watch takes no part. But you are not Night's Watch. You can do what he cannot."

"If your stiff-necked lord commander will allow it. Did your fires show you where to find this girl?"

"I saw water. Deep and blue and still, with a thin coat of ice just forming on it. It seemed to go on and on forever."

"Long Lake. What else did you see around this girl?"

"Hills. Fields. Trees. A deer, once. Stones. She is staying well away from villages. When she can she rides along the bed of little streams, to throw hunters off her trail."

He frowned. "That will make it difficult. She was coming north, you said. Was the lake to her east or to her west?"

Melisandre closed her eyes, remembering. "West."

A dying horse, headed North, hunted. The vision is of Arya and of her journey as foreshadowed by the Last Hero. They are the same thing. Jon looses Mance to find her on this occasion, I think that is foreshadowing for him loosing Sandor to go find/save her when he discovers she's left and for where.

ASOS Jaime II

Jaime was the first to spy the inn. The main building hugged the south shore where the river bent, its long low wings outstretched along the water as if to embrace travelers sailing downstream. The lower story was grey stone, the upper whitewashed wood, the roof slate. He could see stables as well, and an arbor heavy with vines. "No smoke from the chimneys," he pointed out as they approached. "Nor lights in the windows."

Lower story stone, up above is white wood. Slate is rock. Vines. This is foreshadowing Bran's cave.

A sallow man with a pocked doughy face stepped through the cellar door, holding a butcher's heavy cleaver. "Three, are you? We got horsemeat enough for three. The horse was old and tough, but the meat's still fresh."

"Is there bread?" asked Brienne.

"Hardbread and stale oatcakes."

Jaime grinned. "Now there's an honest innkeep. They'll all serve you stale bread and stringy meat, but most don't own up to it so freely."

"I'm no innkeep. I buried him out back, with his women."

"Did you kill them?"

"Would I tell you if I did?" The man spat.

Innkeeps don't generally own up to what they're feeding you. Would he admit to killing them if he did? Bank this, I'll return to it.

The hearth was cold, but Jaime picked the chair nearest the ashes and stretched out his long legs under the table. The clink of his chains accompanied his every movement. An irritating sound. Before this is done, I'll wrap these chains around the wench's throat, see how she likes them then.

A reference to cold and stretching legs, Jaime's legs here are chained.

Jojen's eyes were the color of moss, and sometimes when he looked at you he seemed to be seeing something else. Like now. "I dreamed of a winged wolf bound to earth with grey stone chains," he said. "It was a green dream, so I knew it was true. A crow was trying to peck through the chains, but the stone was too hard and his beak could only chip at them."

"You are the winged wolf, Bran," said Jojen. "I wasn't sure when we first came, but now I am. The crow sent us here to break your chains."

Bran, the cripple without use of his legs, the winged wolf, is bound by chains.

"There are horses here," Jaime pointed out. "I heard one in the stable."

"Aye, there are," said the innkeep, who wasn't an innkeep. "Three of them, as it happens, but they're not for sale."

Jaime had to laugh. "Of course not. But you'll show them to us anyway."

Brienne scowled, but the man who wasn't an innkeep met her eyes without blinking, and after a moment, reluctantly, she said, "Show me," and they all rose from the table.

The stables had not been mucked out in a long while, from the smell of them. Hundreds of fat black flies swarmed amongst the straw, buzzing from stall to stall and crawling over the mounds of horse dung that lay everywhere, but there were only the three horses to be seen. They made an unlikely trio; a lumbering brown plow horse, an ancient white gelding blind in one eye, and a knight's palfrey, dapple grey and spirited. "They're not for sale at any price," their alleged owner announced.

Lumbering, plow horse. A plow horse carries a plow. Hodor carried Bran.

Ancient, white, one eyed. Bloodraven.

Palfreys GRRM uses to foreshadow love interests. The knight's riding horse, the palfrey, is Meera, Bran who so wanted to be a knight's spirited love.

"How did you come by these horses?" Brienne wanted to know.

"The dray was stabled here when the wife and me come on the inn," the man said, "along with the one you just ate. The gelding come wandering up one night, and the boy caught the palfrey running free, still saddled and bridled. Here, I'll show you."

The dray, which is the lumbering plow horse, was stabled there. Hodor was a stable boy.

One horse is Hodor, one is Meera, one is Bloodraven, and there was another, that they just ate. Who'd that be?

Jaime grinned. "Now there's an honest innkeep. They'll all serve you stale bread and stringy meat, but most don't own up to it so freely."

"I'm no innkeep. I buried him out back, with his women."

"Did you kill them?"

"Would I tell you if I did?" The man spat.
Is Bloodraven an honest inkeep? Would he tell you if he did kill them?

The gelding come wandering up one night, and the boy caught the palfrey running free, still saddled and bridled. Here, I'll show you.

"The saddle he showed them was decorated with silver inlay. The saddlecloth had originally been checkered pink and black, but now it was mostly brown. Jaime did not recognize the original colors, but he recognized bloodstains easily enough. "Well, her owner won't be coming to claim her anytime soon." He examined the palfrey's legs, counted the gelding's teeth. "Give him a gold piece for the grey, if he'll include the saddle," he advised Brienne. "A silver for the plow horse. He ought to pay us for taking the white off his hands."

Now shit gets icky. The palfrey is Meera, and here there's much reference to a riding saddle. And blood. Is that where the foreshadowing is? The riding saddle and the blood of a torn maidenhead? Or is it in the line that her owner won't be coming to claim her anytime soon the foreshadowing? Will Meera's maidenhead not be claimed by Bran, as he is unable? Or does the pink saddle, turned brown and bloodstained, suggest something sinister?

Give him a gold for the palfrey, Meera, but only with the saddle. That's a worrying thought. Hodor is worth a silver. Bloodraven not worth a thing, in fact they should be paid for taking him off their hands. Hands, a reference to Bloodraven's once title, his value being naught, foreshadowing for his character, his plan, his intentions.

Brienne knows better than to stay the night here, but before they go they strike the chains from Jaime's legs. And they take the path contrary to the inn keep's advice.

Bran will be taught, the winged wolf unshackled, but he should not stay in the cave, he should not follow Bloodraven's path. And he won't.

17 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Arya is the Last Hero, and Sandor is her/his dog. The whole thing is about Arya, with Sandor.

First bold is referencing Nymeria, obvious Arya connection and a parallel. It also puts a time frame to things. Eventually the narrow sea will run dry and Arya will lead the realm of men (or convince them) into the dried out seabed, as Nymeria lead her people to the sea to eventual salvation.

What she's doing, she's doing on Bran's orders. His whispers. She's going for a magical purpose related to the COTF.

Needle, whatever palfrey, Sandor and whoever else. (Sam will be one)

Everyone dies, including her dog, Sandor. Note the emphasis on the dog. And the horse, dead. Needle snapping.

Note hounds, then to huge smiling Hodor. We all know how Hodor is going down.

Hounded, hounds. Sandor is going to die, then he's going to become a wight, and hound her. But she'll make it, and the COTF will 'help her'. The magics that will win back what the armies of men have lost. Maybe, the help is that they can turn Sandor back, and everyone like him.

A dying horse, headed North, hunted. The vision is of Arya and of her journey as foreshadowed by the Last Hero. They are the same thing. Jon looses Mance to find her on this occasion, I think that is foreshadowing for him loosing Sandor to go find/save her when he discovers she's left and for where.

Great analysis!

Needle breaking really stuck out to me. In the description, grrm uses the word "snapped" hinting at a smaller blade rather than a bigger full sized sword that would *break* in similar cold circumstances. 

The Hound is oft repeated. An emphasis that is deliberate. Very interesting!

---

Arya travelling with the Hound after the Red Wedding: 

So she stayed with the Hound.

They rode every day, never sleeping twice in the same place, avoiding towns and villages and castles as best they could.

[...]

Besides, it wasn't safe to be seen. From time to time columns of horsemen passed down the winding farm roads, the twin towers of Frey flying before them. "Hunting for stray northmen," the Hound said when they had passed. "Any time you hear hooves, get your head down fast, it's not like to be a friend."

When she looked behind her, the harbor and lagoon were lost to sight. Ahead, a row of mighty statues stood along both sides of the channel, solemn stone men in long bronze robes, spattered with the droppings of the seabirds. Some held books, some daggers, some hammers. One clutched a golden star in his upraised hand. Another was upending a stone flagon to send an endless stream of water splashing down into the canal. "Are they gods?" asked Arya.

"Sealords," said Yorko.

Arya I, Feast

If Tyrion is carrying greyscale, and if he does venture into the Happy Port to sample the belles, this could foreshadow a gift he might leave behind for the mighty and humble, alike, of Braavos. 

ETA

This is from Arya's first chapter in Feast...

They opened inward all in silence, with no human hand to move them. Arya took a step forward, and another. The doors closed behind her, and for a moment she was blind. Needle was in her hand, though she did not remember drawing it.

And this is from her last chapter in Feast...

When she woke the next morning, she was blind.

Greyscale will halt the advance of the Others, to some part, but it will not be an end all solution, it will be the cowards way out or merely serve to postpone the inevitable. I've explained the logic behind this elsewhere and will only do so here as far as I have to for the Arya point I want to make.

Arya, like a lot of the realm, will get Greyscale. The first pointer is Mel's vision of the grey girl and most strongly foreshadowed in this description.

The girl. I must find the girl again, the grey girl on the dying horse. Jon Snow would expect that of her, and soon. It would not be enough to say the girl was fleeing. He would want more, he would want the when and where, and she did not have that for him. She had seen the girl only once. A girl as grey as ash, and even as I watched she crumbled and blew away.

The connecting imagery, grey and crumbling plain. But also recall what the lone rider on a dying horse symbolises.

Grey Worm began the tale. "He came out of the morning mists, a rider on a pale horse, dying. His mare was staggering as she approached the city gates, her sides pink with blood and lather, her eyes rolling with terror. Her rider called out, 'She is burning, she is burning,' and fell from the saddle. This one was sent for, and gave orders that the rider be brought to the Blue Graces. When your servants carried him inside the gates, he cried out again, 'She is burning.' Under his tokar he was a skeleton, all bones and fevered flesh."

I have no more help to give, Dany thought, despairing. The Astapori had no place to go. Thousands remained outside Meereen's thick walls—men and women and children, old men and little girls and newborn babes. Many were sick, most were starved, and all were doomed to die. Daenerys dare not open her gates to let them in. She had tried to do what she could for them. She had sent them healers, Blue Graces and spell-singers and barber-surgeons, but some of those had sickened as well, and none of their arts had slowed the galloping progression of the flux that had come on the pale mare. Separating the healthy from the sick had proved impractical as well. Her Stalwart Shields had tried, pulling husbands away from wives and children from their mothers, even as the Astapori wept and kicked and pelted them with stones. A few days later, the sick were dead and the healthy ones were sick. Dividing the one from the other had accomplished nothing.

It symbolises plague.

What should put Arya getting greyscale beyond doubt is this line.

Only Princess Nymeria of Ny Sar spoke against him. "This is a war we cannot hope to win," she warned, but the other princes shouted her down and pledged their swords to Garin. Even the warriors of her own Ny Sar were eager to fight, and Nymeria had no choice but to join the great alliance.

Garin is of course symbolic of greyscale, if Garin's Curse is not direct greyscale it is a very similar strand. Either way, it foreshadows the disease that will plague Westeros (spread by the shadow flame of the great stone beast) and will seem a false saviour at first, like Garin's war efforts, before proving a fatal mistake (a false saviour, hence a lie Dany must slay). Nymeria foreshadows Arya obviously.

The wording is interesting, Nymeria had no choice but to join the great alliance.

Why greyscale will be an effective defence against the Others is in the cold. The text says greyscale turns flesh cold. It doesn't explicitly say it turns people cold blooded but I believe it is a fairly logical step. Greyscale is also not painful, and while it's not explicitly true cold blooded things don't feel pain it is partially true and commonly thought. Also Greyscale sufferers are thought to be dead by some, such as with Val's insistence Shireen is a dead girl.

The Othes hunt by warm blood according to Old Nan's story.

"Now these were the days before the Andals came, and long before the women fled across the narrow sea from the cities of the Rhoyne, and the hundred kingdoms of those times were the kingdoms of the First Men, who had taken these lands from the children of the forest. Yet here and there in the fastness of the woods the children still lived in their wooden cities and hollow hills, and the faces in the trees kept watch. So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. For years he searched, until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities. One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. And the Others smelled the hot blood in him, and came silent on his trail, stalking him with packs of pale white spiders big as hounds—"

And thus I believe will the beneficial side effect of greyscale. The Others will not be able to sense the whereabouts of people with greyscale, and given their hatred of those with warm blood and their desire to drink warm blood in other stories, perhaps won't even care to hunt or kill greyscale carriers. And in this I think is why Arya is going to get greyscale.

Note how the above ends, isolated, hunted, the Others closing on her, all seems lost, then before what comes next the story is cut off.

Nymeria had no choice but to join the great alliance.

With no other hope, I think Arya is going to give herself greyscale to prevent the Others from being able to hunt her. And it will prove successful, and she'll make it to wherever she has to go to get her COTF magics and turn the tide of the war.

Greyscale isn't going to kill her, as Dany is going to eventually cure greyscale.

Haldon nodded. "Benerro has sent forth the word from Volantis. Her coming is the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy. From smoke and salt was she born to make the world anew. She is Azor Ahai returned … and her triumph over darkness will bring a summer that will never end … death itself will bend its knee, and all those who die fighting in her cause shall be reborn …"

That's what this is. Garin's curse is a curse, curses are cured in fantasy by killing the source, when Dany slays the lie that is the great stone beast the curse will lift, and those afflicted with greyscale, those thought dead, will be cured, reborn.

"When I came on Rossart, he was dressed as a common man-at-arms, hurrying to a postern gate. I slew him first. Then I slew Aerys, before he could find someone else to carry his message to the pyromancers. Days later, I hunted down the others and slew them as well. Belis offered me gold, and Garigus wept for mercy. Well, a sword's more merciful than fire, but I don't think Garigus much appreciated the kindness I showed him."

Jaime in the WFTD? A white lion hunting in the ghost grass?

The stench of death was growing stronger, despite the scented candles. The smell reminded Jaime Lannister of the pass below the Golden Tooth, where he had won a glorious victory in the first days of the war. On the morning after the battle, the crows had feasted on victors and vanquished alike, as once they had feasted on Rhaegar Targaryen after the Trident. How much can a crown be worth, when a crow can dine upon a king?

Jaime I, Feast 8

Perhaps Euron Crow's Eye will arrive in King’s Landing before Aegon. Poor, plump, little Tommen...

On 9/14/2016 at 0:29 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Jaime I, Feast 8

Perhaps Euron Crow's Eye will arrive in King’s Landing before Aegon. Poor, plump, little Tommen...

Could be Tommen or Aegon. Possibly Tommen because the POV is a Lannister, at a Lannister's funeral, but also Aegon because Rhaegar (another Targaryen/dragon) is mentioned just before the piece of foreshadowing.

2 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Could be Tommen or Aegon. Possibly Tommen because the POV is a Lannister, at a Lannister's funeral, but also Aegon because Rhaegar (another Targaryen/dragon) is mentioned just before the piece of foreshadowing.

Daenerys will slay the lie that is the mummer's dragon. ;)

Tyrion second lifing?

Tyrion replied with a shrug that accentuated the twist of his shoulders. "Speaking for the grotesques," he said, "I beg to differ. Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities."

Death is not so final in ASOIAF.

Haldon nodded. "Benerro has sent forth the word from Volantis. Her coming is the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy. From smoke and salt was she born to make the world anew. She is Azor Ahai returned … and her triumph over darkness will bring a summer that will never end … death itself will bend its knee, and all those who die fighting in her cause shall be reborn …" 

"Do I have to be reborn in this same body?" asked Tyrion. The crowd was growing thicker. He could feel them pressing in around them. "Who is Benerro?"

Interesting he should ask that.

7 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Tyrion second lifing?

Death is not so final in ASOIAF.

Interesting he should ask that.

So, he never makes it of Slaver's Bay, living his second life in one of Victarion's monkey demons on the Isle of Cedars...

Archived