Moments of Foreshadowing v.11

Lost Melnibonean

Foreshadowing is a literary device in which a writer gives an advance hint of what is to come later in the story. 

After ten threads most of the low-hanging fruit has been discovered and discussed. But this forum gets new members all the time, so feel free to post and identify foreshadowing passages, even if the foreshadowed events have already happened. 

One through Nine...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/66352-moments-of-foreshadowing/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/73174-moments-of-foreshadowing-2/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/78727-moments-of-foreshadowing-3/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/81408-moments-of-foreshadowing-4/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/91766-moments-of-foreshadowing-5/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98189-moments-of-foreshadowing-6/#entry5040595

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/101984-moments-of-foreshadowing-7-tpatq-spoilers/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/104421-moments-of-foreshadowing-8-tpatq-spoilers/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110630-moments-of-foreshadowing-9/

Ten...

After spotting this, I'm surprised Lady Stoneheart didna have A Beauty! in a crow cage...

Steel rang, steel sang, steel screamed and sparked and scraped, and the woman started grunting like a sow at every crash, yet somehow he could not reach her. It was as if she had an iron cage around her that stopped every blow.

Perhaps she will? 

Storm 21

This is from the "swordplay" between Jaime and Brienne...

As he felt himself falling, he twisted the mischance into a diving lunge. His point scraped past her parry and bit into her upper thigh. A red flower blossomed, and Jaime had an instant to savor the sight of her blood before his knee slammed into a rock.

Compare Jaime savoring the sight of Brienne's blood on his sword from the blossoming red flower near her upper thigh to what Barbrey says about Brandon enjoying nothing more than the sight of blood on his "sword." 

Jaime and Brienne are totally gonna do it. 

Her dreams were red and savage. The Mummers were in them, four at least, a pale Lyseni and a dark brutal axeman from Ib, the scarred Dothraki horse lord called Iggo and a Dornishman whose name she never knew. On and on they came, riding through the rain in rusting mail and wet leather, swords and axe clanking against their saddles. They thought they were hunting her, she knew with all the strange sharp certainty of dreams, but they were wrong. She was hunting them.

She was no little girl in the dream; she was a wolf, huge and powerful, and when she emerged from beneath the trees in front of them and bared her teeth in a low rumbling growl, she could smell the rank stench of fear from horse and man alike. The Lyseni's mount reared and screamed in terror, and the others shouted at one another in mantalk, but before they could act the other wolves came hurtling from the darkness and the rain, a great pack of them, gaunt and wet and silent.

The fight was short but bloody. The hairy man went down as he unslung his axe, the dark one died stringing an arrow, and the pale man from Lys tried to bolt. Her brothers and sisters ran him down, turning him again and again, coming at him from all sides, snapping at the legs of his horse and tearing the throat from the rider when he came crashing to the earth.

Only the belled man stood his ground. His horse kicked in the head of one of her sisters, and he cut another almost in half with his curved silvery claw as his hair tinkled softly.

Filled with rage, she leapt onto his back, knocking him head-first from his saddle. Her jaws locked on his arm as they fell, her teeth sinking through the leather and wool and soft flesh. When they landed she gave a savage jerk with her head and ripped the limb loose from his shoulder. Exulting, she shook it back and forth in her mouth, scattering the warm red droplets amidst the cold black rain.

Arya I, Storm 3

The smallfolk hereabouts shunned the place, Tom told her; it was said to be haunted by the ghosts of the children of the forest who had died here when the Andal king named Erreg the Kinslayer had cut down their grove.
Arya IV, Storm 22

Sam made a whimpery sound. "It's not fair . . . "

"Fair." The raven landed on his shoulder. "Fair, far, fear." It flapped its wings, and screamed along with Gilly. The wights were almost on her. He heard the dark red leaves of the weirwood rustling, whispering to one another in a tongue he did not know. The starlight itself seemed to stir, and all around them the trees groaned and creaked. Sam Tarly turned the color of curdled milk, and his eyes went wide as plates. Ravens! They were in the weirwood, hundreds of them, thousands, perched on the bone-white branches, peering between the leaves. He saw their beaks open as they screamed, saw them spread their black wings. Shrieking, flapping, they descended on the wights in angry clouds. They swarmed round Chett's face and pecked at his blue eyes, they covered the Sisterman like flies, they plucked gobbets from inside Hake's shattered head. There were so many that when Sam looked up, he could not see the moon.

Samwell III, Storm 46

The next day Ser Dermot of the Rainwood returned to the castle, empty-handed. When asked what he'd found, he answered, "Wolves. Hundreds of the bloody beggars." He'd lost two sentries to them. The wolves had come out of the dark to savage them. "Armed men in mail and boiled leather, and yet the beasts had no fear of them. Before he died, Jate said the pack was led by a she-wolf of monstrous size. A direwolf, to hear him tell it. The wolves got in amongst our horse lines too. The bloody bastards killed my favorite bay."

"A ring of fires round your camp might keep them off," said Jaime, though he wondered. Could Ser Dermot's direwolf be the same beast that had mauled Joffrey near the crossroads?

Jaime VII, Feast 44

"You will never walk again," the three-eyed crow had promised, "but you will fly."

. . .

A murder of ravens erupted from the hillside, screaming their sharp cries, black wings beating above a white world.

. . .

Slipping into Summer's skin had become as easy for him as slipping on a pair of breeches once had been, before his back was broken. Changing his own skin for a raven's night-black feathers had been harder, but not as hard as he had feared, not with these ravens. "A wild stallion will buck and kick when a man tries to mount him, and try to bite the hand that slips the bit between his teeth," Lord Brynden said, "but a horse that has known one rider will accept another. Young or old, these birds have all been ridden. Choose one now, and fly."

He chose one bird, and then another, without success, but the third raven looked at him with shrewd black eyes, tilted its head, and gave a quork, and quick as that he was not a boy looking at a raven but a raven looking at a boy. The song of the river suddenly grew louder, the torches burned a little brighter than before, and the air was full of strange smells. When he tried to speak it came out in a scream, and his first flight ended when he crashed into a wall and ended back inside his own broken body. The raven was unhurt. It flew to him and landed on his arm, and Bran stroked its feathers and slipped inside of it again. Before long he was flying around the cavern, weaving through the long stone teeth that hung down from the ceiling, even flapping out over the abyss and swooping down into its cold black depths. Then he realized he was not alone. "Someone else was in the raven," he told Lord Brynden, once he had returned to his own skin. "Some girl. I felt her."

. . .

As a raven he flew with the murder, circling the hill at sunset, watching for foes, feeling the icy touch of the air.

Bran III. Dance 34

Blackwood's solar was on the second floor of a cavernous timber keep. There was a fire burning in the hearth when they entered. The room was large and airy, with great beams of dark oak supporting the high ceiling. Woolen tapestries covered the walls, and a pair of wide latticework doors looked out upon the godswood. Through their thick, diamond-shaped panes of yellow glass Jaime glimpsed the gnarled limbs of the tree from which the castle took its name. It was a weirwood ancient and colossal, ten times the size of the one in the Stone Garden at Casterly Rock. This tree was bare and dead, though.

"The Brackens poisoned it," said his host. "For a thousand years it has not shown a leaf. In another thousand it will have turned to stone, the maesters say. Weirwoods never rot."

"And the ravens?" asked Jaime. "Where are they?"

"They come at dusk and roost all night. Hundreds of them. They cover the tree like black leaves, every limb and every branch. They have been coming for thousands of years. How or why, no man can say, yet the tree draws them every night." Blackwood settled in a high-backed chair.

Jaime, Dance 48

The great hill called High Heart was especially holy to the First Men, as it had been to the children of the forest before them. Crowned by a grove of giant weirwoods, ancient as any that had been seen in the Seven Kingdoms, High Heart was still the abode of the children and their greenseers. When the Andal king Erreg the Kinslayer surrounded the hill, the children emerged to defend it, calling down clouds of ravens and armies of wolves . . . or so the legend tells us. Yet neither tooth nor talon was a match for the steel axes of the Andals, who slaughtered the greenseers, the beasts, and the First Men alike, and raised beside the High Heart a hill of corpses half again as high . . . or so the singers would have us believe.
The World of Ice and Fire

Bran will lead the murder of ravens from Raventree, and Arya will dream as Nymeria’s pack attack some foe in the Riverlands, most likely against a kinslayer. Tyrion?

Tyrion Lannister looked up from his books and shivered, though the library was snug and warm. Something about the howling of a wolf took a man right out of his here and now and left him in a dark forest of the mind, running naked before the pack.
Tyrion I, Game 9

Tyrion could hear the rumble of the foemen's drums now. He remembered Robb Stark as he had last seen him, in his father's high seat in the Great Hall of Winterfell, a sword naked and shining in his hands. He remembered how the direwolves had come at him out of the shadows, and suddenly he could see them again, snarling and snapping, teeth bared in his face. Would the boy bring his wolves to war with him? The thought made him uneasy.
Tyrion VIII, Game 62

I suspect that The Second Dance of the Dragons will culminate at the Trident as armies led by Daenerys, Stannis, and Aegon meet. I expect Drogon the winged shadow will burn Stannis, and all his power will join Daenerys. But I also expect that Tyrion will betray Daenerys with Brown Ben and Viserion for Aegon's side, playing a role similar to the role played by Ulf the White in the First Dance of the Dragons. I could see Tyrion later wishing he hadn't alone in the woods. I could then see Nymeria picking up his sent. Somebody will find Tyrion a few chapters later...

Ulf son of Umar laying in a pool of congealing blood, his arm gone at the elbow,
Tyrion VIII, Game 62

I don't agree with how you've pieced the forces and battle together but I do agree Tyrion is going down in the Riverlands.

"One of your northmen hit me with a Morningstar during the battle on the Green Fork. I escaped him by falling off my horse."

Think he's the dragon rider that's going to cop the weirwood arrow treatment, getting knocked off Viserion in a battle at the Gods Eye. Probably an arrow (likely weirwood from the Isle of faces) hits Viserion in the eye, given all the eye association and how Aemond (Kinslayer, mismatched eyes, said to be half the size of his brother on his birth) went down. Black Aly (Alysanne Blackwood turned Alysanne Stark) who I'm sure is an Arya parallel commanded the archers from the Riverlands (think BWB, Anguy) in the first Dance. Aemond caught Darksister through the eye when he died at the Gods Eye, Dark sister = Arya. I doubt Jon is going to leave it to one archer, likely they will all have weirwood arrows waiting for Tyrion and go all out on him.

Aemond fought his uncle Daemon at the God's Eye, assume A+J=T and you have a role reversal, as that makes Tyrion Jon's uncle.

A more out there theory, if someone can stick a dragon with a weirwood arrow perhaps Bran will then be able to warg it, or mess with it enough to take Tyrion out of the battle. There's also the possibility of flying ravens at Tyrion to distract/disorientate him and/or Bran could help 'guide' arrows if they're made from weirwood.

2 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

I don't agree with how you've pieced the forces and battle together but I do agree Tyrion is going down in the Riverlands.

Think he's the dragon rider that's going to cop the weirwood arrow treatment, getting knocked off Viserion in a battle at the Gods Eye. Probably an arrow (likely weirwood from the Isle of faces) hits Viserion in the eye, given all the eye association and how Aemond went down. Black Aly (Alysanne Blackwood turned Alysanne Stark) who I'm sure is an Arya parallel commanded the archers from the Riverlands in the first Dance. I doubt Jon is going to leave it to one archer, likely they will all have weirwood arrows waiting for Tyrion and go all out on him.

A more out there theory, if someone can stick a dragon with a weirwood arrow perhaps Bran will then be able to warg it, or mess with it enough to take Tyrion out of the battle. There's also the possibility of flying ravens at Tyrion to distract/disorientate him.

I like it...

On 3/7/2016 at 0:39 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

This is from the "swordplay" between Jaime and Brienne...

Compare Jaime savoring the sight of Brienne's blood on his sword from the blossoming red flower near her upper thigh to what Barbrey says about Brandon enjoying nothing more than the sight of blood on his "sword." 

Jaime and Brienne are totally gonna do it. 

I saw that too. Perhaps like Jaime's inspiration Lancelot, they'll conceive a son who will be the ASOIAF-version of Galahad who will be considered the best knight in the realm when he grows up, and serve in the KG like both his parents (Brienne was in Renly's Rainbow Guard).  

21 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Think he's the dragon rider that's going to cop the weirwood arrow treatment, getting knocked off Viserion in a battle at the Gods Eye. Probably an arrow (likely weirwood from the Isle of faces) hits Viserion in the eye, given all the eye association and how Aemond (Kinslayer, mismatched eyes, said to be half the size of his brother on his birth) went down. Black Aly (Alysanne Blackwood turned Alysanne Stark) who I'm sure is an Arya parallel commanded the archers from the Riverlands (think BWB, Anguy) in the first Dance. Aemond caught Darksister through the eye when he died at the Gods Eye, Dark sister = Arya. I doubt Jon is going to leave it to one archer, likely they will all have weirwood arrows waiting for Tyrion and go all out on him.

Aemond fought his uncle Daemon at the God's Eye, assume A+J=T and you have a role reversal, as that makes Tyrion Jon's uncle.

A more out there theory, if someone can stick a dragon with a weirwood arrow perhaps Bran will then be able to warg it, or mess with it enough to take Tyrion out of the battle. There's also the possibility of flying ravens at Tyrion to distract/disorientate him and/or Bran could help 'guide' arrows if they're made from weirwood.

I think I know who would fire the arrow. 

"Well, how long does a dragon live?" She looked up as Viserion swooped low over the ship, his wings beating slowly and stirring the limp sails.

Viseripon is mentioned right after she asks about dragons' lifespans. What's more, ship and sails are mentioned.  Do we know of any characters whose sigil is a ship? A certain onion knight who lost four of his eldest sons to Tyrion's wildfire plan. WOIAF provides a potential hint with a hero from the Stormlands: Davos the Dragonslayer. 

6 minutes ago, Fire Eater said:

I saw that too. Perhaps like Jaime's inspiration :Lancelot, they'll conceive a son who will be the ASOIAF-version of Galahad who will be considered the best knight in the realm when he grows up, and serve in the KG like both his parents (Brienne was in Renly's Rainbow Guard).  

I think I know who would fire the arrow. 

"Well, how long does a dragon live?" She looked up as Viserion swooped low over the ship, his wings beating slowly and stirring the limp sails.

Viseripon is mentioned right after she asks about dragons' lifespans. What's more, ship and sails are mentioned.  Do we know of any characters whose sigil is a ship? A certain onion knight who lost four of his eldest sons to Tyrion's wildfire plan. WOIAF provides a potential hint with a hero from the Stormlands: Davos the Dragonslayer. 

I like Arya to do the deed. She’s keen on learning archery, and she's gonna side with Daenerys vs Aegon. Maybe Davos and Rickon will be with her after Drogon melts Stannis's face. 

Nah it's Jon he's going to be fighting, when he comes South like his hero the Young Dragon and his brother the Young Wolf, Jon is both a young wolf and dragon, and Jon doesn't dance, he's coming down in the aftermath like Cregan.

And I don't think Tyrion will die, that's why it's going to happen over the Gods Eye, he's going to fall into it and get fished out onto the Isle of faces like he did at the sorrows. He gets dragged before Jon and there they'll make the new pact like they did the old, foreshadowed by Jon and Tyrion's friend conversation and handshake.

Anyway some foreshadowing for Tyrion at the Gods Eye.

A full moon floated above the mast. It is following me downriver, watching me like some great eye. Despite the warmth of the musty skins that covered him, a shiver went through the little man.

A great eye instead of a gods, probably didn't want to be too on the nose.

And some dragon riding foreshadowing.

On the Shy Maid, he made his bed atop the roof of the cabin, with a coil of hempen rope for a pillow. He liked it better up here than in the boat's cramped hold. The air was fresher, and the river sounds were sweeter than Duck's snoring. There was a price to be paid for such joys, though; the deck was hard, and he woke stiff and sore, his legs cramped and aching.

He likes it up high, the world is better up there with the coil of rope for a pillow, as the dragons are often described as coiling. He will pay for it though, riding makes him sore, cramps his legs, dragon riding will do the same.

1 hour ago, chrisdaw said:

Nah it's Jon he's going to be fighting, when he comes South like his hero the Young Dragon and his brother the Young Wolf, Jon is both a young wolf and dragon, and Jon doesn't dance, he's coming down in the aftermath like Cregan.

And I don't think Tyrion will die, that's why it's going to happen over the Gods Eye, he's going to fall into it and get fished out onto the Isle of faces like he did at the sorrows. He gets dragged before Jon and there they'll make the new pact like they did the old, foreshadowed by Jon and Tyrion's friend conversation and handshake.

Anyway some foreshadowing for Tyrion at the Gods Eye.

A great eye instead of a gods, probably didn't want to be too on the nose.

And some dragon riding foreshadowing.

He likes it up high, the world is better up there with the coil of rope for a pillow, as the dragons are often described as coiling. He will pay for it though, riding makes him sore, cramps his legs, dragon riding will do the same.

Good stuff. I think Jon stays up north, though, and Stannis plays Cregan's role. 

On Tyrion surviving drowning there's the Sorrows and the Blackwater. I'm not sure the text explicitly says Tyrion ended up in the Blackwater, if it does I couldn't find it. But it's a pretty safe assumption, elsewise he wouldn't get separated from Pod and end up unaccounted for with the dead and dying before someone realises it's him. Most like he went down with those ships and got spat ashore, where the people collecting the dead and dying found him.

While Hugor Hill Tyrion also makes up the story that his father tried to drown him in a well.

Circumstances make it seem like there's a hidden hand trying to get rid of Tyrion, resulting in him nearly drowning that he keeps surviving. Or another hidden hand working against the first to keep him alive.

Not foreshadowing but I'll put this here as it relates. Now I don't believe BR skinchanges people, but... The overriding description of Tyrion's would be assassin Mandon Moore is dead, even when he wasn't.

In the chilly white raiment of the Kingsguard, Ser Mandon Moore looked like a corpse in a shroud.

Chilly white, corpse in a shroud.

"Her Grace does not wish to be disturbed," Ser Mandon repeated slowly, as if Tyrion was a dullard who had not heard him the first time.

Jaime had told him once that Moore was the most dangerous of the Kingsguard - excepting himself, always - because his face gave no hint as to what he might do next.

Tyrion thinks he thinks he's a dullard, but maybe he talks like someone talking through him.

"I know the man." Ser Mandon's eyes were pale grey, oddly flat and lifeless.

"Knew," Bronn corrected, with a thin smile.

Ser Mandon did not deign to show that he heard.

Not just pale grey lifeless eyes, odd eyes. No emotion for the death of someone of an age with him also from the Vale who it'd be assumed he was acquainted.

Joffrey was galloping at his side, whey-faced, with Ser Mandon Moore a white shadow on his left.

Just a shadow reference.

Ser Mandon Moore rode at his side, white steel icy bright.

Before was chilly white, this icy white.

Ser Mandon Moore took the place to his right, flames shimmering against the white enamel of his armor, his dead eyes shining passionlessly through his helm.

More dead.

Barristan says he has no life outside of duty, he has no friends in the KG. It's almost like the guy is on cruise control, he only shows a bit a life when he tries to kill Tyrion. It doesn't really make sense for BR to be skinchanging a person, as he has much to watch and if he was living a person's life he'd have little time to do much else. For it to work there'd need to be a sort of auto-pilot, he'd need to be able to leave that person and have them continue to function on some level, with him jumping in when the situation demands.

Further out there, there was an NFL Jets player (GRRM's team) named Brandon Moore. His position was guard. Mandon - Brandon - Brynden?

I wouldn't contemplate this only there's the Sorrows. BR has often been tossed around as possibly having something to do with that obviously supernatural occurrence. I don't have much to add to what has already been written about that, only that the Stone Men generally having lost their minds would be more suitably candidates for being skinchanged, as Hodor is for Bran and the normal Thistle wasn't for Varamyr.

So perhaps the Sorrows was the second time BR had a bite at Tyrion, resulting in him almost drowning, and the second time Tyrion defied him.

Viserion hunting above the river.

There was no sign of Viserion, but when she went to the parapet and scanned the horizon she saw pale wings in the far distance, sweeping above the river. He is hunting.

Tyrion hunting in the Riverlands.

I'll try and piece together the broad strokes with foreshadowing of Jon, Tyrion, Dany and Bran without straying into Jaime, Sansa, Arya, Theon and the like, concentrating on Jon coming South and why.

Aegon takes KL and is loved by the people and Faith.

If we are seen to be going against the gods, it will only drive the pious into the arms of one or the other of these would-be usurpers."

A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd. . . mother of dragons, slayer of lies

Dany arrives and slays Aegon the cloth dragon lie in the second dance.

Drogon moved quicker than a striking cobra. Flame roared from his mouth, orange and scarlet and black, searing the meat before it began to fall. As his sharp black teeth snapped shut around it, Rhaegal's head darted close, as if to steal the prize from his brother's jaws, but Drogon swallowed and screamed, and the smaller green dragon could only hiss in frustration.
"Stop that, Rhaegal," Dany said in annoyance, giving his head a swat. "You had the last one. I'll have no greedy dragons."

As per Wouter's find, Dany on Drogon the black dragon defeats Aegon on Rhaegal the green in the Dance. Dany takes the throne.

Dany is hated for many reasons including destroying the beloved Aegon.

. . three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love

She is betrayed and forced out of KL by way of riot like the first unpopular dragon queen Rhaenyra.

Tyrion becomes king, Sansa queen, beating out Cersei for the throne. This is paralleled and foreshadowed to hell and back but I'm trying to keep it brief and anyway people aren't ready to get behind this, maybe after TWOW.

Sansa wanted revenge for her brother and Tyrion wanted the throne.

Sansa said, feeding a piece of bacon to Lady under the table. The direwolf took it from her hand, as delicate as a queen.

Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear.

When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king.

"I never liked you, Cersei, but you were my own sister, so I never did you harm. You've ended that. I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."

Tyion recited from memory, "and one by one he set them on the brow of Hugor of the Hill to make a glowing crown."

To Aegon. What a fortunate fellow. Two sisters, two wives, and three big dragons, what more could a man ask for?

Cersei and Dany, Tysha and Sansa, the dragons (if they all still live at this stage) will all be in the pit, Dany will have to flee without Drogon.

Dany will go North, don't know why she does particularly but the foreshadowing says she has to slay the Stannis is AA lie if he is still there.

Glowing like a sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow.

And meet Jon.

A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.

By now, in the North Jon is coming into his strength and the Others will be bearing down. Bran will have a plan to save Westeros, that's his role, Jon's is to carry it out.

He needs everyone working together, realm wide, but particularly he needs

"Jon Snow's dragonglass, then. If dragonglass daggers are what we need, why do we have only two of them? Every man on the Wall should be armed with one the day he says his words."

We need to find dragonglass someplace else."

"On Dragonstone, where I had my seat there is much of this obsidian to be seen in the old tunnels beneath the mountain," the king told Sam...

I have sent word to Ser Rolland my castellan to begin mining it.

He will need Dragonstone mined and the obsidian turned to weapons and given to him.

"So if I can just convince the lords of the Seven Kingdoms to give us their Valyrian blades, all is saved? That won't be hard."

He will need all the Valyrian blades in the land.

And

It was a futile thought. He might as well wish for another thousand men, and maybe a dragon or three.

Mostly he needs the dragons from Tyrion for Bran's plan.

"I don't know what message to send to Bran. Help him, Tyrion."
"What help could I give him? I am no maester, to ease his pain. I have no spells to give him back his legs."
"You gave me help when I needed it," Jon Snow said.
"I gave you nothing," Tyrion said. "Words."
"Then give your words to Bran too."
"You're asking a lame man to teach a cripple how to dance," Tyrion said.rom Tyrion for Bran.

Dany is with him at this stage and on board, he has a dragon rider, but no dragon, Drogon is South in the pit. Most like Bran's plan requires someone going North to the heart of winter, and a dragon is the only way.

North and north and north he looked, to the curtain of light at the end of the world, and then beyond that curtain. He looked deep intot he heart of winter, and then he cried out, afraid, and the heat of the tears burned on his cheeks.

So Dany is in the position whereby

"To go north, you must go south.

South to get Drogon, so she can go North to fight the Others or into the heart of winter.

This is all the things Jon will need, what the NW will need, so he'll demand it of the South. Only Tyrion will not listen, the demands seem ridiculous, and Tyrion ignored the NW before when he was in KL, too concerned with playing power games.

But Tyrion will have a very specific reason for rejecting Jon other than the demands seem stupid. Dany will be with Jon. Tyrion will have been given the crown in large part because he's a dragon rider and so is best positioned to protect the realm and faith from the return of Dany. Like Jaehaerys (Tyrion parallel), he will have promised to protect the Faith. Giving Dany back her dragon is not something he's going to consider.

So South Jon goes, like his brother the Young Wolf and hero the Young Dragon, Jon is both a young wolf and young dragon. He marches in force ready to take from Tyrion what he needs to save the realm after Tyrion rejects his terms.

"The Young Wolf has sent us terms, you see. Unnacceptable terms, to be sure,

Moving South in itself will be an act of war. Moving south with Dany will especially be an act of war. But South he must go, and straight down the middle to get three dragons, where eventually he must cross the Ruby Ford where his father was defeated.

The Ruby Ford flanked first by the Harroway ferry.

"For three draons I should own the bloody ferry."

And the Quiet Isle where they wait for Rhaegar's seventh Ruby. Eventually fighting his way to the God's Eye.

"The Young Wolf and Lord Stannis have swords and they don't scare you."

How little you know sweetling.

And finally Tyrion will fly North to meet Jon in battle, again as foreshadowed by Jaehaerys.

and told the twins the story of how their great-great-grandsire and namesake Jaehaerys the Old King had flown his dragon north to the Wall to defeat a vast host of wildlings, giants and wargs.

Jon's army will be wildlings, giants and wargs, and many others, but it won't be the Wall Tyrion flies to but the Gods Eye as per the previous posts in this thread.

"One of your northmen hit me with a Morningstar during the battle on the Green Fork. I escaped him by falling off my horse."

Jon wins, as the Young Wolf and Young Dragon never lost a battle. Tyrion is knocked off Viserion and dragged to the Isle of Faces, there at Jon's mercy he will be forced to listen to the what Jon wants and why, and they'll make common cause.

I will give Bran whatever small help is in my power."
"Thank you, my lord of Lannister."
He pulled off his glove and offered his bare hand. "Friend."
Tyrion found himself oddly touched. "Most of my kin are bastards," he said with a wry smile, "but you're the first I've had to friend." He pulled a glove off with his teeth and clasped Snow by the hand, flesh against flesh. The boy's grip was firm and strong.

The new pact, Ice and Fire, North and South, Old gods and new is formed like the old.

Finally, the wise of both races prevailed, and the chiefs and heroes of the First Men met the greenseers and wood dancers amidst the weirwood groves of a small island in the great lake called Gods Eye.

"There they forged the Pact.

Hostages will be taken and marriages made and promised as before. Unfortunately for Arya.

Drogon returns to Dany, as prophesised.

And Tyrion will help Bran to ride, again.

There's more to it, the hour of the wolf and the prophesised return of Drogon to Dany will be more complicated and epic, but those are sideways from here.

"We are the ones who are lost, ser. Drogon has no taste for this wet creeping, no more than I do." Bolder than the other two, her black dragon had been the first to try his wings above the water, the first to flutter from ship to ship, the first to lose himself in a passing cloud . . . and the first to kill. The flying fish no sooner broke the surface of the water than they were enveloped in a lance of flame, snatched up, and swallowed. "How big will he grow?" Dany asked curiously. "Do you know?"

Perhaps foreshadowing that Drogon or Daenerys will kill Aurane Waters, or some other Velaryon should they be reintroduced to the story, whose sigil is a winged seahorse.  Seahorses are fish.

2 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

I'll try and piece together the broad strokes with foreshadowing of Jon, Tyrion, Dany and Bran without straying into Jaime, Sansa, Arya, Theon and the like, concentrating on Jon coming South and why.

Aegon takes KL and is loved by the people and Faith.

Dany arrives and slays Aegon the cloth dragon lie in the second dance.

As per Wouter's find, Dany on Drogon the black dragon defeats Aegon on Rhaegal the green in the Dance. Dany takes the throne.

Dany is hated for many reasons including destroying the beloved Aegon.

She is betrayed and forced out of KL by way of riot like the first unpopular dragon queen Rhaenyra.

Tyrion becomes king, Sansa queen, beating out Cersei for the throne. This is paralleled and foreshadowed to hell and back but I'm trying to keep it brief and anyway people aren't ready to get behind this, maybe after TWOW.

Cersei and Dany, Tysha and Sansa, the dragons (if they all still live at this stage) will all be in the pit, Dany will have to flee without Drogon.

Dany will go North, don't know why she does particularly but the foreshadowing says she has to slay the Stannis is AA lie if he is still there.

And meet Jon.

By now, in the North Jon is coming into his strength and the Others will be bearing down. Bran will have a plan to save Westeros, that's his role, Jon's is to carry it out.

He needs everyone working together, realm wide, but particularly he needs

He will need Dragonstone mined and the obsidian turned to weapons and given to him.

He will need all the Valyrian blades in the land.

And

Mostly he needs the dragons from Tyrion for Bran's plan.

Dany is with him at this stage and on board, he has a dragon rider, but no dragon, Drogon is South in the pit. Most like Bran's plan requires someone going North to the heart of winter, and a dragon is the only way.

So Dany is in the position whereby

South to get Drogon, so she can go North to fight the Others or into the heart of winter.

This is all the things Jon will need, what the NW will need, so he'll demand it of the South. Only Tyrion will not listen, the demands seem ridiculous, and Tyrion ignored the NW before when he was in KL, too concerned with playing power games.

But Tyrion will have a very specific reason for rejecting Jon other than the demands seem stupid. Dany will be with Jon. Tyrion will have been given the crown in large part because he's a dragon rider and so is best positioned to protect the realm and faith from the return of Dany. Like Jaehaerys (Tyrion parallel), he will have promised to protect the Faith. Giving Dany back her dragon is not something he's going to consider.

So South Jon goes, like his brother the Young Wolf and hero the Young Dragon, Jon is both a young wolf and young dragon. He marches in force ready to take from Tyrion what he needs to save the realm after Tyrion rejects his terms.

Moving South in itself will be an act of war. Moving south with Dany will especially be an act of war. But South he must go, and straight down the middle to get three dragons, where eventually he must cross the Ruby Ford where his father was defeated.

The Ruby Ford flanked first by the Harroway ferry.

And the Quiet Isle where they wait for Rhaegar's seventh Ruby. Eventually fighting his way to the God's Eye.

And finally Tyrion will fly North to meet Jon in battle, again as foreshadowed by Jaehaerys.

Jon's army will be wildlings, giants and wargs, and many others, but it won't be the Wall Tyrion flies to but the Gods Eye as per the previous posts in this thread.

Jon wins, as the Young Wolf and Young Dragon never lost a battle. Tyrion is knocked off Viserion and dragged to the Isle of Faces, there at Jon's mercy he will be forced to listen to the what Jon wants and why, and they'll make common cause.

The new pact, Ice and Fire, North and South, Old gods and new is formed like the old.

Hostages will be taken and marriages made and promised as before. Unfortunately for Arya.

Drogon returns to Dany, as prophesised.

And Tyrion will help Bran to ride, again.

There's more to it, the hour of the wolf and the prophesised return of Drogon to Dany will be more complicated and epic, but those are sideways from here.

Well argued. I'm not buying it, though. I can't see Tyrion becoming king, even if he can command Viserion and lock up Drogon and kill or lock up Rhaegal. 

2 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

"We are the ones who are lost, ser. Drogon has no taste for this wet creeping, no more than I do." Bolder than the other two, her black dragon had been the first to try his wings above the water, the first to flutter from ship to ship, the first to lose himself in a passing cloud . . . and the first to kill. The flying fish no sooner broke the surface of the water than they were enveloped in a lance of flame, snatched up, and swallowed. "How big will he grow?" Dany asked curiously. "Do you know?"

Perhaps foreshadowing that Drogon or Daenerys will kill Aurane Waters, or some other Velaryon should they be reintroduced to the story, whose sigil is a winged seahorse.  Seahorses are fish.

Where is it stated that Velaryon seahorse are winged? 

Meereen will burn:

“It is good that you have come,” she told the Astapori. “You will be safe in Meereen.”

The cobbler thanked her for that, and the old brickmaker kissed her foot, but the weaver looked at her with eyes as hard as slate. She knows I lie, the queen thought. She knows I cannot keep them safe. Astapor is burning, and Meereen is next.

He took his last shuddering breath in the bleak black dawn, as cold rain hissed from a dark sky to turn the brick streets of the old city into rivers. The rain had drowned the worst of the fires, but wisps of smoke still rose from the smoldering ruin that had been the pyramid of Hazkar, and the great black pyramid of Yherizan where Rhaegal had made his lair hulked in the gloom like a fat woman bedecked with glowing orange jewels.

Perhaps the gods are not deaf after all, Ser Barristan Selmy reflected as he watched those distant embers. If not for the rain, the fires might have consumed all of Meereen by now.

30 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Where is it stated that Velaryon seahorse are winged? 

The wiki's depiction of House Velaryon's arms appear to have wings, and I could've sworn that their arms were described as a winged seahorse.  However, a flying fish could still depict a dragonriding Velaryon (or rather Waters).  (Otherwise, maybe I made a boo-boo.)

I don't know that house Velaryon was an official winged seahorse (but I want one in real life!). The sigil description is arms that, "depict a silver seahorse on sea green." And in text we have the sigil description twice and both say just about the same thing, "Handsome Lord Velaryon chose sea-green silk, the white gold seahorse at his throat matching his long fair hair."

But then Davos thinks this: "In time my little black ship will fly as high as Velaryon's seahorse or Celtigar's red crabs."

Now, in the Princess story, we do get this:

"Addam Velaryon remained aloft, flying Seasmoke around the city walls, the beat of his dragon’s wide leathern wings a caution to those below that any defiance would be met with fire."

Adding: I Know not everyone thinks of the wiki as official or canon, but the picture of the house sigil is a horse body with a fin tail and webbed hooves??? http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/File:House_Velaryon.PNG

Also adding: if you scroll down on that page a little, you will see the sigil change slightly over editing time, but only once was it an actual seahorse in terms of what is normally thought of.

2 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

The wiki's depiction of House Velaryon's arms appear to have wings, and I could've sworn that their arms were described as a winged seahorse.  However, a flying fish could still depict a dragonriding Velaryon (or rather Waters).  (Otherwise, maybe I made a boo-boo.)

If it were a winged seahorse, I would look for a connection to Bittersteel. 

Just now, Lost Melnibonean said:

If it were a winged seahorse, I would look for a connection to Bittersteel. 

Well, the text says "flying fish."  Connecting the imagery to a seahorse, then to a horse is stretching it too thin.

Although I feel far less certain about it, I was also considering the possibility of the "flying fish" representing a Tully.  Perhaps Edmure?  Or Sweetrobin?  The latter has an Arryn (flying falcon) father and a Tully (fish) mother.  Let's say, some sort of Visenya/Ronnel Arynn 2.0 occurs, but SR somehow accidentally getting killed instead riding?

Archived