Moments of Foreshadowing v.11

Lost Melnibonean

Coincidentally, I just read this possible foreshadowing of Jaime's going to the Wall...

Ser Brynden laughed again. "Much as I would welcome the chance to take that golden sword away from you and cut out your black heart, your promises are worthless. I would gain nothing from your death but the pleasure of killing you, and I will not risk my own life for that . . . as small a risk as that may be."

Jaime, Feast 38

Coincidentally, I just read this possible foreshadowing of Jaime's going to the Wall...

Nice catch! It goes along well with this.

Once a man had said the words his blood was black. Black as a bastard’s heart. - ADWD Jon

I think there's a quote in ASOS that also foreshadows Jaime joining the Watch. It is reminiscent of the oath they take. 

And then at last she saw him … only for an instant, framed between the branches of the trees as she looked down at the valley floor, yet she knew it was him. Even at a distance, Ser Jaime Lannister was unmistakable. The moonlight had silvered his armor and the gold of his hair, and turned his crimson cloak to black. He was not wearing a helm. - AGOT Catelyn

Ser Jaime Lannister was twin to Queen Cersei; tall and golden, with flashing green eyes and a smile that cut like a knife. He wore crimson silk, high black boots, a black satin cloak. On the breast of his tunic, the lion of his House was embroidered in gold thread, roaring its defiance. - AGOT Jon

Mallister freeriders had caught him red-handed in the Mallisters’ own woods, skinning one of the Mallisters’ own bucks, and it had been a choice of putting on the black or losing a hand. - AGOT Prologue

Jaime may actually have to go through both.

Ser Lucamore, another Kingsguard who committed similar crimes to Jaime, also joined the Night's Watch.

Ser Lucamore broke his vows and fathered sixteen children on three women. When his sworn brothers found out, they informed King Jaeherys who had him gelded and sent to the Wall to join the Night’s Watch.

There is some foreshadowing in Bran's AGOT chapters that Bran will turn evil or ally with the Others.

They set forth at daybreak to see a man beheaded, twenty in all, and Bran rode among them, nervous with excitement.

Nervous with excitement to see a man die? Not a good sign. 

The man had been taken outside a small holdfast in the hills. Robb thought he was a wildling, his sword sworn to Mance Rayder, the King-beyond-the-Wall. It made Bran’s skin prickle to think of it. He remembered the hearth tales Old Nan told them. The wildlings were cruel men, she said, slavers and slayers and thieves. They consorted with giants and ghouls, stole girl children in the dead of night, and drank blood from polished horns. And their women lay with the Others in the Long Night to sire terrible half- human children.

Perhaps Bran's skin prickles not because the thought fills him with dread, but because it excites him. (Not that I think it actually excites him, only that it could be a clue.)

Bran’s bastard brother Jon Snow moved closer. “Keep the pony well in hand,” he whispered. “And don’t look away. Father will know if you do.” 

Bran kept his pony well in hand, and did not look away.

His father took off the man’s head with a single sure stroke. Blood sprayed out across the snow, as red as summerwine. One of the horses reared and had to be restrained to keep from bolting. Bran could not take his eyes off the blood. The snows around the stump drank it eagerly, reddening as he watched.

He's eerily calm, isn't he? And there seems to be a certain hunger in the description of the beheading - in how Bran can't take his eyes off, in how he describes the snow drinking the blood, which he compares to summerwine of all things. I get the impression that he's not looking away because he's savouring it.

Half-buried in bloodstained snow, a huge dark shape slumped in death. Ice had formed in its shaggy grey fur, and the faint smell of corruption clung to it like a woman’s perfume. Bran glimpsed blind eyes crawling with maggots, a wide mouth full of yellowed teeth. But it was the size of it that made him gasp. It was bigger than his pony, twice the size of the largest hound in his father’s kennel.

It was the size that made him gasp, not the "eyes crawling with maggots". Interesting choice of words.

There are darker things beyond the Wall.” She glanced behind her at the heart tree, the pale bark and red eyes, watching, listening, thinking its long slow thoughts. - AGOT Catelyn

Bran is heavily associated with weirwood trees and that heart tree in particular. So I find it interesting that Catelyn glances at it when she says that there are darker things beyond the Wall. Could she be unknowingly talking about Bran?

Old Nan nodded. “In that darkness, the Others came for the first time,” she said as her needles went click click click. “They were cold things, dead things, that hated iron and fire and the touch of the sun, and every creature with hot blood in its veins. They swept over holdfasts and cities and kingdoms, felled heroes and armies by the score, riding their pale dead horses and leading hosts of the slain. All the swords of men could not stay their advance, and even maidens and suckling babes found no pity in them. They hunted the maids through frozen forests, and fed their dead servants on the flesh of human children.” - AGOT Bran

Yet as one smell drew them onward, others warned them back. He sniffed at the drifting smoke. Men, many men, many horses, and fire, fire, fire. No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff of man-claws and hard skin. The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone. Behind the cliffs tall fires were eating up the stars. - ACOK Bran

The Others and Bran, while skinchanging Summer, both hate iron, fire, and creatures with hot blood in their veins (dragons in Bran's case). 

Dark wings, dark words,” Ned murmured. It was a proverb Old Nan had taught him as a boy.

“So the fishwives say,” Grand Maester Pycelle agreed, “but we know it is not always so. When Maester Luwin’s bird brought the word about your Bran, the message lifted every true heart in the castle, did it not?"

“As you say, Maester.” - AGOT Eddard 

Since the news of Bran's recovery was brought by a bird with dark wings, it could actually have been bad news. Like, mankind would be better off if he'd died, because he will one day commit horrible atrocities. Note that Ned's response is skeptical, which further suggests that it was bad news. A few paragraphs later, we get this:

“He was going to be a knight,” Arya was saying now. “A knight of the Kingsguard. Can he still be a knight?”

“No,” Ned said. He saw no use in lying to her. “Yet someday he may be the lord of a great holdfast and sit on the king’s council. He might raise castles like Brandon the Builder, or sail a ship across the Sunset Sea, or enter your mother’s Faith and become the High Septon.” But he will never run beside his wolf again, he thought with a sadness too deep for words, or lie with a woman, or hold his own son in his arms. 

Ned says that he sees in no use in lying to Arya. The way it's phrased leaves open the possibility that he is lying. He tells her Bran might sail a ship across the Sunset Sea or become the High Septon, but we know this is never going to happen. So, for elegance's sake, we can reasonably assume Bran will also never raise castles like Brandon the Builder, as many fans believe. Bran further rejects the possibility of following in Brandon the Builder's footsteps in a conversation with Old Nan. 

“I could tell you the story about Brandon the Builder,” Old Nan said. “That was always your favorite.”

That’s not my favorite,” he said. “My favorites were the scary ones.” He heard some sort of commotion outside and turned back to the window. Rickon was running across the yard toward the gatehouse, the wolves following him, but the tower faced the wrong way for Bran to see what was happening. He smashed a fist on his thigh in frustration and felt nothing.

Instead of becoming Brandon the Rebuilder, he will choose to become a bad guy, the kind you find in scary stories. Look at his reaction to not being able to see what's happening in the yard. It's not very reassuring. Bran's interruptions of Old Nan's tale about the Long Night suggest his interests will align with that of the Others. 

“You mean the Others,” Bran said querulously.

This is the sort of story you like?” “Well,” Bran said reluctantly, “yes, only . . . "

Her voice had dropped very low, almost to a whisper, and Bran found himself leaning forward to listen.

He seems to be really excited about her tale, doesn't he?

“Mance be damned,” the big man cursed. “You want to go back there, Osha? More fool you. Think the white walkers will care if you have a hostage?” He turned back to Bran and slashed at the strap around his thigh. The leather parted with a sigh. 

Well, I would think so.

Death reached for him, screaming.

Bran spread his arms and flew.

Wings unseen drank the wind and filled and pulled him upward. The terrible needles of ice receded below him. The sky opened up above. Bran soared. It was better than climbing. It was better than anything. The world grew small beneath him.

“I’m flying!” he cried out in delight.

I’ve noticed, said the three-eyed crow. It took to the air, flapping its wings in his face, slowing him, blinding him. He faltered in the air as its pinions beat against his cheeks. Its beak stabbed at him fiercely, and Bran felt a sudden blinding pain in the middle of his forehead, between his eyes.

“What are you doing?” he shrieked.

The crow opened its beak and cawed at him, a shrill scream of fear, and the grey mists shuddered and swirled around him and ripped away like a veil...

Flying in this scene could be a metaphor for allying with the Others and the power they afford him. "A shrill scream of fear" suggests that Bloodraven will fear the monster he becomes. So this scene could foreshadow Bloodraven (or even the Old Gods) turning against Bran after he allies with the Others, perhaps to preserve his life.

I forget to mention this:

“One day, Bran, you will be Robb’s bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother and your king, and justice will fall to you. When that day comes, you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away. A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.”

But Bran uses others (Hodor) to do his killing for him.  Bran has completely ignored Ned's words, and never even thinks of them at any point in his POV chapters.

I'm curious what you guys think about the foreshadowing that Bran will turn evil. Is any of it reasonable?

1 hour ago, TyrionTLannister said:

I forget to mention this:

But Bran uses others (Hodor) to do his killing for him.  Bran has completely ignored Ned's words, and never even thinks of them at any point in his POV chapters.

I'm curious what you guys think about the foreshadowing that Bran will turn evil. Is any of it reasonable?

It depends on how you define evil. It seems that Bran's powers require human sacrifice, but Bran's powers may be necessary to save humanity. It's a pickle. 

It depends on how you define evil. It seems that Bran's powers require human sacrifice, but Bran's powers may be necessary to save humanity. It's a pickle. 

But why assume Bran will use his powers to save humanity?

Also, check this out:

He sniffed at the bark, smelled wolf and tree and boy, but behind that there were other scents, the rich brown smell of warm earth and the hard grey smell of stone and something else, something terrible. Death, he knew. He was smelling death. He cringed back, his hair bristling, and bared his fangs. - ACOK Jon

Bran is described as smelling like death. Earlier in the book, we get this:

The forester sucked on his spoon a moment. He had taken out his teeth. His face was leathery and wrinkled, his hands gnarled as old roots. “Seems to me like it smells... well... cold. “

“Your head’s as wooden as your teeth,” Hake told him. “There’s no smell to cold.”

There is, thought Jon, remembering the night in the Lord Commander’s chambers. It smells like death. Suddenly he was not hungry anymore. He gave his stew to Grenn, who looked in need of an extra supper to warm him against the night. - ACOK Jon

5 minutes ago, TyrionTLannister said:

But why assume Bran will use his powers to save humanity?

Somebody has to do it. 

Also, check this out:

The earth, stone, and death were a hint that Bran was not killed by Theon but was hiding down in the Winterfell crypts.

Bran is described as smelling like death. Earlier in the book, we get this:

The winds blow cold when the Others come. The Other bring the cold, and the cold allows them to come. That's why the cold smells like death. 

Somebody has to do it. 

How about Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, etc.?

The winds blow cold when the Others come. The Other bring the cold, and the cold allows them to come. That's why the cold smells like death. 

My point is that it foreshadows that Bran and the Others will be allies because they're both described as smelling like death.

Also, can anyone help me compile all the instances of foreshadowing for Cleganebowl? Here are a few that I've seen mentioned around:

The notion seemed to delight the prince. “Send a dog to kill a dog!” he exclaimed. “Winterfell is so infested with wolves, the Starks would never miss one.” - AGOT Tyrion

Near the kennels a group of men-at-arms were fighting a pair of dogs. Tyrion stopped long enough to see the smaller dog tear half the face off the larger one, and earned a few coarse laughs by observing that the loser now resembled Sandor Clegane. - ASOS Tyrion

Qyburn says this of Robert Strong:

"He will protect your son, kill your enemies, and keep your secrets, and no living man will be able to withstand him." - AFFC Cersei

But, according to the elder brother of the Quiet Isle, Sandor Clegane (the Gravedigger) is "dead".

11 minutes ago, TyrionTLannister said:

How about Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, etc.?

Jon and Bran will be working together in some way I suspect. Daenerys needs to die so Jon can ride Drogon. Tyrion isn't going to survive the second Dance of the dragons. Arya will last longer, but I am not confident that she will survive the series. In fact, Bran is the only character of this group, that I think will survive the series. 

Bran is the only character of this group, that I think will survive the series. 

I disagree. The evidence points to Jon being the only character to survive the series. 

Tyrion shared around his skin of wine until even Yoren grew mellow. One by one the company drifted off to their shelters and to sleep, all but Jon Snow, who had drawn the night’s first watch. Tyrion was the last to retire, as always. As he stepped into the shelter his men had built for him, he paused and looked back at Jon Snow. The boy stood near the fire, his face still and hard, looking deep into the flames. Tyrion Lannister smiled sadly and went to bed. - AGOT Tyrion

This scene could evoke ASOIAF's final scene. I think sleep is a metaphor for death in this scene. Recall Tyrion's joke about dying in bed at the age of 80. So Tyrion and Jon will outlive most of the other main characters and live to an old age, and Tyrion will die in the last scene.

“An albino,” Theon Greyjoy said with wry amusement. “This one will die even faster than the others.” Jon Snow gave his father’s ward a long, chilling look. “I think not, Greyjoy,” he said. “This one belongs to me.” - AGOT Bran

I think this points to Jon in fact outliving his siblings and the characters mentioned in the chapter. This quote comes at the end of the first chapter GRRM wrote, so it would make sense for it to contain clues as to how ASOIAF will end. 

The Red Keep was full of cats: lazy old cats dozing in the sun, cold-eyed mousers twitching their tails, quick little kittens with claws like needles, ladies’ cats all combed and trusting, ragged shadows prowling the midden heaps. One by one Arya had chased them down and snatched them up and brought them proudly to Syrio Forel . . . all but this one, this one-eared black devil of a tomcat. “That’s the real king of this castle right there,” one of the gold cloaks had told her. “Older than sin and twice as mean. One time, the king was feasting the queen’s father, and that black bastard hopped up on the table and snatched a roast quail right out of Lord Tywin’s fingers. Robert laughed so hard he like to burst. You stay away from that one, child.” - AGOT Arya

The black tomcat represents Jon, because Jon is also a black bastard and the real king of the castle, due to R+L=J. Then the other 5 types of cats represent the Stark children. "Quick little kittens with claws like needles" is Arya, "ladies' cats all combed and trusting" is Sansa, etc. And Arya represents Death. One by one Death comes to all the Stark children, and only after they all die does it come to Jon.

Robert shook his head. “I have never seen a man sicken so quickly. We gave a tourney on my son’s name day. If you had seen Jon then, you would have sworn he would live forever. A fortnight later he was dead. The sickness was like a fire in his gut. It burned right through him.” He paused beside a pillar, before the tomb of a long-dead Stark. “I loved that old man.” - AGOT Eddard

Once he swore his vow, the Wall would be his home until he was old as Maester Aemon. “I have not sworn yet,” he muttered. He was no outlaw, bound to take the black or pay the penalty for his crimes. He had come here freely, and he might leave freely . . . until he said the words. He need only ride on, and he could leave it all behind. By the time the moon was full again, he would be back in Winterfell with his brothers. - AGOT Jon

This could be even more significant if it turns out that Jon's true name is Aemon.

Jon took off his helm as the other boys were pulling Grenn to his feet. The frosty morning air felt good on his face. He leaned on his sword, drew a deep breath, and allowed himself a moment to savor the victory. “That is a longsword, not an old man’s cane,” Ser Alliser said sharply. “Are your legs hurting, Lord Snow?” - AGOT Jon 

It was too late for such misgivings, though. Every choice had its risks, every choice its consequences. He would play the game to its conclusion. - ADWD Jon

He was awake when Owen came to him, lying restless under a pile of furs on the floor of the warming shed. “Lord Snow,” said Owen, shaking his shoulder, “the dawn.” - ASOS Jon

This might mean he will live long enough to at least see the end of the War for the Dawn. 

All this means that Bran will have to die at some point or another.

In an interview about TWOIAF, Elio and Linda mentioned that Daniel Abraham, who adapted “A Game of Thrones” into a graphic novel, knows what the final scene is going to be:

We know Martin’s first intention was to write a trilogy, so do we have to assume that a third of the clues that can lead us towards the end are in the first book?

Elio M. García Jr: When he was finishing the first book, he realized it wasn’t a trilogy, but a four-book series, so even part of A Clash of Kings was originally written for A Game of Thrones, but when he started the second book he said “Wait, this is getting even longer!”, so he stopped for a moment and visualized the whole story before deciding there will finally be six books, although now, for a very long time, he has said seven. Nonetheless, you are right. A good portion of the clues about various things that will happen in the very end are in the first book. For example, Daniel Abraham did a comic series adapting A Game of Thrones and there’s one interesting thing that George told him: “You have to keep this line because this line is important for what it happens in the end.

Linda Antonsson: The very last scene… So there’s something in the very first book that will be echoed there.

In another interview, Anne Groell, George R. R. Martin’s editor, said that Daniel Abraham knows Tyrion’s ultimate fate:

Anne Groell: I do know the endpoint of Bran’s story line—and Daniel Abraham, who has been adapting the graphic novel of AGOT for me, knows where Tyrion ends up. (I am jealous of that!)

So we can gather that Tyrion will have the final chapter. So he can't die in the second Dance of the Dragons. I think he's too important for that, anyway. 

54 minutes ago, TyrionTLannister said:

I disagree. The evidence points to Jon being the only character to survive the series. 

As long as Bran stays on that weirwood throne he'll be fine. Especially if Hodor holds the door. But I could see Jon having to sacrifice himself to save humanity at the very end. Daenerys will die, but first she will birth Aegon's, who will be crowned...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/143198-daeneryss-fate-and-the-fire-she-must-light-to-love/

...reminiscent of Aegon III succeeding Aegon II. 

Daenerys will die, but first she will birth Aegon's, who will be crowned...

I agree that Dany will give birth again, and that she will die. But why should Aegon be the father of her child? The evidence you give could just as easily be applied to Jon.

"I told you, I know our little queen. Let her hear that her brother Rhaegar's murdered son is still alive, that this brave boy has raised the dragon standard of her forebears in Westeros once more, that he is fighting a desperate war to avenge his father and reclaim the Iron Throne for House Targaryen, hard-pressed on every side … and she will fly to your side as fast as wind and water can carry her. You are the last of her line, and this Mother of Dragons, this Breaker of Chains, is above all a rescuer. The girl who drowned the slaver cities in blood rather than leave strangers to their chains can scarcely abandon her own brother's son in his hour of peril. And when she reaches Westeros, and meets you for the first time, you will meet as equals, man and woman, not queen and supplicant. How can she help but love you then, I ask you?"

This fits Jon better. For one thing, he is actually Rhaegar's son.

This scene could evoke ASOIAF's final scene. I think sleep is a metaphor for death in this scene. Recall Tyrion's joke about dying in bed at the age of 80. So Tyrion and Jon will outlive most of the other main characters and live to an old age, and Tyrion will die in the last scene.

I see what you're saying, but I am looking at this...

Tyrion Lannister looked up from his books and shivered, though the library was snug and warm. Something about the howling of a wolf took a man right out of his here and now and left him in a dark forest of the mind, running naked before the pack.

Tyrion I, Game IX

Nymeria is going to rip his arm off. when Daenerys returns to the Seven Kingdoms it will be as Tyrion described it (enter Euron)...

"I told you, I know our little queen. Let her hear that her brother Rhaegar's murdered son is still alive, that this brave boy has raised the dragon standard of her forebears in Westeros once more, that he is fighting a desperate war to avenge his father and reclaim the Iron Throne for House Targaryen, hard-pressed on every side and she will fly to your side as fast as wind and water can carry her. You are the last of her line, and this Mother of Dragons, this Breaker of Chains, is above all a rescuer. The girl who drowned the slaver cities in blood rather than leave strangers to their chains can scarcely abandon her own brother's son in his hour of peril. And when she reaches Westeros, and meets you for the first time, you will meet as equals, man and woman, not queen and supplicant. How can she help but love you then, I ask you?"

Tyrion VI, Dance 22

Aegon will get the green dragon and Tyrion or Brown Ben will have the white one. When Aegon and Daenerys begin to dance, Tyrion with betray her for Aegon.

In The Princess and the Queen, we learned that Ulf the White got his name from his pale blond hair.

Then he saw the other one, waddling along half-hidden by his brother's side. Tyrion Lannister, the youngest of Lord Tywin's brood and by far the ugliest. All that the gods had given to Cersei and Jaime, they had denied Tyrion. He was a dwarf, half his brother's height, struggling to keep pace on stunted legs. His head was too large for his body, with a brute's squashed-in face beneath a swollen shelf of brow. One green eye and one black one peered out from under a lank fall of hair so blond it seemed white. Jon watched him with fascination.

Jon I, Game 5

Ulf the White slept through the second battle of Tumbleton.

Tyrion went to sleep smiling . . .. . . and woke in darkness to the blare of trumpets. Shae was shaking him by the shoulder. "M'lord," she whispered. "Wake up, m'lord. I'm frightened."Groggy, he sat up and threw back the blanket. The horns called through the night, wild and urgent, a cry that said hurry hurry hurry. He heard shouts, the clatter of spears, the whicker of horses, though nothing yet that spoke to him of fighting. "My lord father's trumpets," he said. "Battle assembly. I thought Stark was yet a day's march away."Shae shook her head, lost. Her eyes were wide and white.Groaning, Tyrion lurched to his feet and pushed his way outside, shouting for his squire.

Tyrion VIII, Game 62

Ok, ok, so Tyrion did not sleep through the fighting but he had to be roused by a whore.

Ulf the White was a drunkard who enjoyed diddling whores.

"Do you need a woman so badly, Yollo?" "A man grows weary of having no lovers but his fingers."

He needed wine. A lot of wine. He seized the flagon with both hands and raised it to his lips. The wine ran red. Down his throat, down his chin. It dripped from his beard and soaked the feather bed. In the candlelight it looked as dark as the wine that had poisoned Joffrey. When he was done he tossed the empty flagon aside and half-rolled and half-staggered to the floor, groping for a chamber pot. There was none to be found. His stomach heaved, and he found himself on his knees, retching on the carpet, that wonderful thick Myrish carpet, as comforting as lies.

Tyrion VI, Dance 22

Here is a very, very early hint that Tyrion would be riding or exerting influence over Viserion, with his sellsword, in the Vale...

They had taken shelter beneath a copse of aspens just off the high road. 

Tyrion VI, Game 42

The bark of Aspens, of course, is white. 

So if you accept other foreshadowing that the white dragon is headed toward Tyrion (or his agent, Brown Ben Plumm), perhaps Ulf the White's actions foreshadow that Tyrion will betray Dany in Dance v.2.0. Somebody has to betray Dany for gold. Why not for all the gold of Casterly Rock?

He dipped his quill in the inkpot. Tyrion of House Lannister, he scratched out, promising to pay the bearer of the note one hundred golden dragons. Every stroke of the quill leaves me a little poorer … or would, if I were not a beggar to begin with. One day he might rue these signatures. But not this day. He blew on the wet ink, slid the parchment to the paymaster, and signed the one beneath. And again. And again. And again.

Tyrion XII, Dance 66

And this...

"It was your blade I needed," Tyrion said, "not your love." He dumped his armful of wood on the ground.

Bronn grinned. "You're bold as any sellsword, I'll give you that."

Tyrion VI, Game 42

And this...

"There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but no old bold sellswords."

Brown Ben to Daenerys, Daenerys V, Storm 57

Foreshadow Tyrion gambling in battle and losing, leading to his death. He got lucky on the Blackwater. His time is due. 

Theon's Ulf went "down with a crossbow bolt through the belly." Tyrion's buddy Ulf from the Moon Brothers met a slightly different fate...

Ulf son of Umar laying a pool of congealing blood, his arm gone at the elbow,

Tyrion VIII, Game 62

See? Nymeria's gonna rip off Tyrion's arm. 

22 minutes ago, TyrionTLannister said:

I agree that Dany will give birth again, and that she will die. But why should Aegon be the father of her child? The evidence you give could just as easily be applied to Jon.

This fits Jon better. For one thing, he is actually Rhaegar's son.

Did you follow the link to where I laid out the foreshadowing for Daenerys's fate? If not, no worries. I just didn't want rehash everything here. 

The black tomcat represents Jon, because Jon is also a black bastard and the real king of the castle, due to R+L=J. Then the other 5 types of cats represent the Stark children. "Quick little kittens with claws like needles" is Arya, "ladies' cats all combed and trusting" is Sansa, etc. And Arya represents Death. One by one Death comes to all the Stark children, and only after they all die does it come to Jon.

The black tom is connected to wee Rhaenys and/or Bloodraven...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/62435-the-black-cat-warg-of-rhaenys/

So if you accept other foreshadowing that the white dragon is headed toward Tyrion (or his agent, Brown Ben Plumm), perhaps Ulf the White's actions foreshadow that Tyrion will betray Dany in Dance v.2.0. Somebody has to betray Dany for gold. Why not for all the gold of Casterly Rock?

Perhaps this time it'll be the opposite. Tyrion will betray the greens for the blacks, Aegon for Dany. The parallel works both ways. 

Theon's Ulf went "down with a crossbow bolt through the belly." Tyrion's buddy Ulf from the Moon Brothers met a slightly different fate...

Maybe. These quotes could serve as foreshadowing:

“I wish I had a good mean dog,” said Arya wistfully. “A lion-killing dog.” She’d had a direwolf once, Nymeria, but she’d thrown rocks at her until she fled, to keep the queen from killing her. Could a direwolf kill a lion? she wondered.

These are not dogs to beg for treats and slink off at a kick. A direwolf will rip a man’s arm off his shoulder as easily as a dog will kill a rat. 

Since this quote comes from the first chapter, it would make sense for it to be echoed in a major event way down the line.

But still, I don't think this will happen. Tyrion is far too important a character to die like this. If he's going die at all, it'll be near the end of the series during the conflict with the Others.

Archived