Moments of Foreshadowing v.11

Lost Melnibonean

Should Jon be wary of Devan?

The yard outside the armory was empty, but inside Jon found the king's squire awaiting him. Devan was a skinny lad of some twelve years, brown of hair and eye. They found him frozen by the forge, hardly daring to move as Ghost sniffed him up and down. "He won't hurt you,"

Jon said, but the boy flinched at the sound of his voice, and that sudden motion made the direwolf bare his teeth. "No!" Jon said. "Ghost, leave him be. Away. " The wolf slunk back to his ox bone, silence on four feet. Devan looked as pale as Ghost, his face damp with perspiration.

Dance 17

8 hours ago, Joy Hill said:

Good catch.

Speaking of Pycelle, in ASOS Tyrion 9, during Tyrion's trial, he speaks of a certain poison. 

"Widow's blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man's bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons."

I wonder if Oberyn used this poison on Tywin.

I always believed this.

12 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

D&D adaptation philosophy:

Always keep your fans confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to change next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make changes that have no purpose, or even seem to work against the show.

:D

22 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Ghost never growls. He barred his teeth though. 

I missed that part at first.

The yard outside the armory was empty, but inside Jon found the king's squire awaiting him. Devan was a skinny lad of some twelve years, brown of hair and eye. They found him frozen by the forge, hardly daring to move as Ghost sniffed him up and down. "He won't hurt you,"

Jon said, but the boy flinched at the sound of his voice, and that sudden motion made the direwolf bare his teeth. "No!" Jon said. "Ghost, leave him be. Away. " The wolf slunk back to his ox bone, silence on four feet. Devan looked as pale as Ghost, his face damp with perspiration.

I got a better read this time. 

Frozen, forge, ox, and perspiration.  I'm thinking a LB hint/Jon's resurrection foreshadowing.  Frozen, like a corpse.  Forge, where swords are made.  An ox or bull is a symbol of sacrifice.  (Ref: Mithras)  Perhaps Devan helps with this fire magic ritual, hence his face being covered in perspiration.

The Last Storm foreshadows Jon Connington defeating Mace Tyrell between Storm’s End and Bronzegate, and that Randyll Tarly and his heir, Dickon, will be killed. At the end of Arianne II, Winds, 

Spoiler

Haldon Halfmaester informs Arianne that Aegon has taken Storm’s End, and that Jon Connington wishes her to meet him there. Haldon proposes that she travel by ship across Shipbreaker Bay, to which Daemon Sand protests, noting that the safer journey is overland. Haldon responds that recent rains (not snows) have turned the roads to mud, so that the overland route would take two to three days, while it would take less than half a day to cross the bay. Haldon adds that there is an army descending on Storm’s End from King’s Landing, and that Aegon intends to meet them in the field. Since Daemon Sand understands that to mean that Jon Connington and Mace Tyrell will meet in battle, I suppose we should too. 

Across the Blackwater from King's Landing, the Kingsroad runs southeast through the Kingswood, across the Wendwater and emerges from the great forest at Bronzegate, which stands in the proximity of several small towns, northeast of where the Dornish Marches end. To the northeast stands Haystack Hall, and to the southwest stands Fellwood. To the east and south of bronzegate, we see relatively easy coastal terrain with some hills, as the Kingsroad turns more to the south to Storm's End on the northern shore of Breakwater Bay. The distance between Bronzegate and Storm’s End appears to be close to 120 miles or so, so about five to six days of marching. 

Spoiler

Upon Arianne’s arrival at Grffin’s Roost, Haldon wants Arianne inside Storm’s End before the coming battle, suggesting that Mace has already reached Bronzegate, and is likely approachin Storm's End. Otherwise, there would be no need to reject the safer road overland from Griffin’s Roost to Storm’s End. That puts Mace’s army right about where Orys Baratheon's army was during his subjugation of the Stormlands for Aegon the Conqueror. 

From The Conquest...

Within days of his coronation, Aegon’s armies were on the march again. The greater part of his host crossed the Blackwater Rush, making south for Storm’s End under the command of Orys Baratheon. 

In our coming battle, we know from Arianne II, Winds

Spoiler

that the field will be reversed, with Aegon's Hand marching north from Storm's End and the opposition force marching south from Bronzegate. 

We could read about the coming battle as it happens from Jon Connington's POV, or perhaps we will read an account of it reported to Cersei in King’s Landing or to Arianne at Storm’s End. I expect we will learn that Golden Company outriders will have harrassed Mace’s van which will surely be led by Randyll Tarly. From The Conquest...

Lords Errol, Fell, and Buckler, bannermen to Storm’s End, surprised the advance elements of Orys Baratheon’s host as they were crossing the Wendwater, cutting down more than a thousand men before fading back into the trees.

We don't know whether Lord Errol is back at Haystack Hall, or with Stannis, or it's possible he fell on the Blackwater. Lord Fell fell in the Wolfswood. Lord Buckler is at Bronzegate. Perhaps we will learn that Lord Buckler and levies from Haystack Hall and Fellwood will join with Jon Connington and Aegon. 

From The Conquest...

Aegon’s foes also found themselves plagued by other enemies. As Argilac the Arrogant gathered his swords at Storm’s End, pirates from the Stepstones descended on the shores of Cape Wrath to take advantage of their absence, and Dornish raiding parties came boiling out of the Red Mountains to sweep across the marches. 

So, perhaps the Lord of the Waters will join the fight for Aegon as well, or maybe the Lord of the Waters and Dorne will join Aegon in the aftermath of the battle. 

During the Conquest, "Dickon Morrigen and the Bastard of Blackhaven, commanding the vanguard, were" both killed, suggesting that Randyll, the leader of Mace’s van, and his son Dickon will die in our coming battle. Other than Argilac, Dickon and the leader of the van were the only named casualties. 

Aegon's Hand in the Conquest slew the enemy commander in single combat after offering him the chance to yield, suggesting that Jon Connington might offer Mace the same chance. Unlike Argilac, I suspect Mace might take Jon Connington's offer. 

Wow, I never knew that a leviathan was originally understood to be a giant sea serpent, not a whale. And we have seen the author refer to dragoms as snakes. So, that scene depicted in the Merman's Court of a kraken and grey leviathan could foreshadow the anticipated fight between a Greyjoy and a Targaryen or Blackfyre. 

On 2/24/2017 at 4:34 PM, PCK said:

From Davos second or third Clash chapter

"When a pirate grows rich enough, they make him a prince."

Greyjoy marriage to the nobility coming?

More likely Sallador Saan or Aurane Waters.

5 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Wow, I never knew that a leviathan was originally understood to be a giant sea serpent, not a whale. And we have seen the author refer to dragoms as snakes. So, that scene depicted in the Merman's Court of a kraken and grey leviathan could foreshadow the anticipated fight between a Greyjoy and a Targaryen or Blackfyre. 

Also Sea Dragon Point and that dragon egg Euron threw into the sea... if we don't see a giant sea serpent/dragon I will be a little disappointed, or and a Kraken. Hopefullt they would fight.

Archived