House of Cards Season 4: Life Without BBQ

ghosts in winterfell

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not me. Season 3 was a yawn inducing bore of bores that left me struggling to watch the entire season. Not excited for this at all, and if I'm not grabbed in the first couple of episodes I'll be dropping it.

Have to agree. Last season lost something for me. I will definitely watch a few but it could lose me.

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'll watch, but I was kinda getting tired of the behavior of these people. It was fun to watch when they were grasping for power, hopefully it will be fun to watch hurdle themselves into ruin.

Maybe that is what was wrong for me last season. The chase was gone and it wasn't the same. Plus some of my favorite characters are dead and gone.

31 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Maybe that is what was wrong for me last season. The chase was gone and it wasn't the same. Plus some of my favorite characters are dead and gone.

Spoiler

all that kept me going last season was Doug and Rachel. Gutted at the end

:crying: I had absolutely no interest in anything that was going on with Frank. I think if it wasn't for Doug and Kevin Spacey's acting I would have bowed out.

Although, best episode for me was probably the one with the prisoner in Russia who committed suicide. Only episode I actually felt some sort of emotion throughout

Yikes. A "bore" surprises me tbh.  To each their own, I guess. S3 was all about Claire, IMO. Overall it was definitely a little more understated/slow burny than the two prior, but it looks like things will be coming to a head in S4.  I think I remember some talk about a certain journalist coming back to haunt Frank!  

Also, should I edit the thread title for spoilers?  I was going to wait until the season actually airs for that.  Do discussions of previous seasons count?

5 hours ago, -Ghost- said:

I wish they spent more time/episodes/seasons on Frank rising to power. I don't want to see him sitting on the throne. I want more of what he had to do to get there.

Well that seems to be this season doesn't it? Last season he was only temporarily in power.

Wonder if they give Hilary Claire an email scandal? :) 

I'm still on the fence whether I'll be watching it. I was bored throughout three and didn't like two all that much either. This show lacks two things: a credible antagonist and more hammy evil from Kevin Spacey. It used to have the latter (remember that dog in the first episode), but since it moved away from that it has lost its appeal to me. 

It's one of the show I am most looking forward to this year.

I actually know people in "real life" who like this show as well.

Season 3 was somewhat disappointing compared to the first two, definitely agreed, but I don't see why that means season 4 will not be a great season again. 

Well, season 3 was a bit meh and there was times it didn't work as it should. I hated Claire and Frank falling apart. Entire season I waited for them to fix things, and when they didn't, I was like "OK, I had to wait this long for her to leave him". Also, entire thing with Claire's Russian catastrophe and her suddenly being stupider than one could imagine were truly pushing all the wrong buttons. 

I'll be watching.  The tension between Frank and Claire will prompt Frank to be his unpredictable self; much like he was in the first two seasons when he was seeking power.  Now he'll have to fight to keep his power.  He seemed safe in the third season, which was tame compared to S 1and 2.

I re-watched season 3 with a friend before Christmas and felt that it had actually aged really well. It's true that the "downfall" makes for a very different type of narrative, but I can only hope that season 4 offers an appropriately epic collapse (and having watched the UK original, I'm wondering how closely the end will track with it). 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived