Deep Space Nine Watch/Re-watch (No spoilers)

Corvinus85

I've been meaning to start this topic based on the discussion about the upcoming Trek series.

I'm watching DS9 for the first time, and I've recently started season 2. I liked season 1 for the most part, a good setup season for a relatively long lasting series, and lot less clunky as far as first seasons for SF episodic shows go. They gave plenty of exposure to most major characters (Dr. Bashir being the exception a bit). However, due to the stuff I've been watching in recent years on TV, I'm less in favor of long episodic SF series, and season 1 didn't even have a more encompassing story arc. So I can't wait to get to the meat of things.

Spoiler

I'm a little bit aware of the Dominion faction, and the major war that breaks out, so I'm excited for that.

So if you're watching for the 1st time, or re-watching, or just want to discuss, please do so, but use spoiler tags, please. :D

The story arc was the reason why I liked DS 9 better than TNG. I felt/feel it offers a better opportunity for character development than a monster/planet of the week kind of story telling. Voyager on the other hand was just awful in my book, because it contained the most annoying characters in the entire Star Trek universe (Neelix and Harry Kim)

As great as Sisko was, but there were characters I liked more. Garak comes to mind. 

15 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I've been meaning to start this topic based on the discussion about the upcoming Trek series.

I'm watching DS9 for the first time, and I've recently started season 2. I liked season 1 for the most part, a good setup season for a relatively long lasting series, and lot less clunky as far as first seasons for SF episodic shows go. They gave plenty of exposure to most major characters (Dr. Bashir being the exception a bit). However, due to the stuff I've been watching in recent years on TV, I'm less in favor of long episodic SF series, and season 1 didn't even have a more encompassing story arc. So I can't wait to get to the meat of things.

You lucky dog.  One of my favorite series.  I've probably watched it four times total, and I like it just as much (if not more) every time.  Although there are definitely episodes I would gladly avoid, when I get around to watching it again.  Season one is definitely the most episodic, so you are in for a treat with the upcoming season long story arcs (although they still mix in quite a few one off episodes because of the high number of episodes per season).  The character growth is tremendous, and depending on how quickly you go through it, I think it would probably be worth your time to go back and rewatch some of the early episodes right after you finish just to see how much they have grown by the end (maybe pick a favorite or two now).

Enjoy the ride :thumbsup: 

8 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

You lucky dog.  One of my favorite series.  I've probably watched it four times total, and I like it just as much (if not more) every time.  Although there are definitely episodes I would gladly avoid, when I get around to watching it again.  Season one is definitely the most episodic, so you are in for a treat with the upcoming season long story arcs (although they still mix in quite a few one off episodes because of the high number of episodes per season).  The character growth is tremendous, and depending on how quickly you go through it, I think it would probably be worth your time to go back and rewatch some of the early episodes right after you finish just to see how much they have grown by the end (maybe pick a favorite or two now).

Enjoy the ride :thumbsup: 

Thanks. Character development has been a strong aspect of season 1, so yeah, I'm excited. Season 2 has had an especially strong start.

From season 1, I think my favorite episode was Duet.

Where Kira interrogates a Cardassian who was pretending to have been a war criminal. Kira's growth in that episode was great to watch.

I adore DS9. My favorite Star Trek series. Bashir is absolutely amazing and I became a doctor because of him. Although, I have to say that of all the Star Trek captains, no one nails "battle stations" like Janeway.

I adore the first season because it just introduces us to two major components - Prophets and Dominion. I have to say that religious aspect of the story and handling it in sci-fi series was one of the most difficult tasks and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Lastly, Corvinus, it wouldn't be the worst idea of sending us schedule so we would know where you are and what we can discuss, so we wouldn't spoil you.

There is a bit of a story arc in Seasons 1 and 2, involving the Bajorans and their political and religious issues. It's not dominant, but it does peter along in the background quite nicely, occasionally rising to the fore.

22 minutes ago, Werthead said:

There is a bit of a story arc in Seasons 1 and 2, involving the Bajorans and their political and religious issues. It's not dominant, but it does peter along in the background quite nicely, occasionally rising to the fore.

The entire Bajorans/Cardassians/Federation thing from first two seasons is quite close to my neck of the woods (Balkans). I have to say that the way Kira sees Sisko and entire Federation at the beginning represent rather natural reaction to how many would react on the new benefactors. The mistrust and political tensions just pointed out how these things are not as smooth as one would ideally want. 

42 minutes ago, Risto said:

I adore DS9. My favorite Star Trek series. Bashir is absolutely amazing and I became a doctor because of him. Although, I have to say that of all the Star Trek captains, no one nails "battle stations" like Janeway.

I adore the first season because it just introduces us to two major components - Prophets and Dominion. I have to say that religious aspect of the story and handling it in sci-fi series was one of the most difficult tasks and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Lastly, Corvinus, it wouldn't be the worst idea of sending us schedule so we would know where you are and what we can discuss, so we wouldn't spoil you.

I didn't catch any Dominion stuff in season 1, but I did skip a couple of episodes because "the problem of the week" was becoming a bit too much. Just my luck that I skipped a Dominion reference. :P

47 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I didn't catch any Dominion stuff in season 1, but I did skip a couple of episodes because "the problem of the week" was becoming a bit too much. Just my luck that I skipped a Dominion reference. :P

All there is in season one about the Dominion are hints and innuendos, they are not explicitly mentioned until season two

episode seven

I don't think there is a single mention of the Dominion in Season 1.

There was going to be one, that the Tosk would turn out to be creations of the Dominion, but they never got round to confirming it.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Yeap, my mistake... I always binge DS9 and lose any direction to what happens when. Although, I do know that my first sci-fi nerdgasm was at the end of 5th season.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I don't think there is a single mention of the Dominion in Season 1.

Spoiler

Jem Hadars appear in the last episode of Season 2/first one of Season 3, right? 

4 hours ago, Risto said:

I adore DS9. My favorite Star Trek series. Bashir is absolutely amazing and I became a doctor because of him.

I think one of the more (medically) inspirational episodes is "The Quickening" where Bashir tries to cure a genetically-engineered plague ravaging a planet. 

20 hours ago, Corvinus said:

stuff

Care to comment on the whole religious plot lines involving Bajor, the 'wormhole gods', and Sisko's role in all that? Is that a plot line that interests you?

The Dominion is first mentioned in season 2, in some Ferengi episode whose title I don't remember. It all is very low key in the beginning.

My favorite as well.  I have also been doing a rewatch over the last few months (slowed my the fact that my wife hates sci-fi so I only watch it while on the road or late night).  But after two failed attempts over the years or watching every episode I have started using this guide of 82 episodes.  Not because I think this guy has the definitive guide (he loves O'Brian episodes way more than me) but because I just don't care about all the fluff episodes.  It is the overall arc that I love.

Garak is my favorite but that is hardly an original position to take.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Care to comment on the whole religious plot lines involving Bajor, the 'wormhole gods', and Sisko's role in all that? Is that a plot line that interests you?

Yeah, so I just finished ep. 4 of season 2. The first 3 episodes, which were one arc, was a really good start to the season. Star Trek has always striven to show the problems our society faces, and how they can be resolved. 

Spoiler

The civil war on Bajor is a prime example of this, and the Bajoran society as a whole is perhaps the best example that DS9 has offered up to this point. I really liked Li Nalas, how he was able to carry on despite wishing to run. Sisko and Kira were both great, they've really grown on me, so far.

On Sisko, I admit that I didn't like him at first, but it had to do with the acting - it seemed off, weird. But eventually I started liking his style. And in this latest episode he

Spoiler

kicked a Klingon's ass in hand-to-hand, so that wins him major points.

But Quark and Odo are still the most entertaining so far.

I'm not really sure what to say about the wormhole beings, "the Prophets". I find the show quite crisply written so far, which leaves me with few puzzlements, but this one might be one. I understand that they were impressed by Sisko and promised that they would allow passage to all ships, but surely they must be monitoring the ships. And considering how many undesirables tend to pass through there, I would think they may call on Sisko for an explanation, at least.

One thing that I miss from other Trek shows is seeing ships at warp. For some reason, they skip over that even when someone travels to another planet. Almost makes me think that all those planets are in close range.

Archived