Deep Space Nine Watch/Re-watch (No spoilers)

Corvinus85

Kira is probably one of my favorite characters, top 3 for sure, including Garak as well of course.  Her later stuff in some of the "non canon" or whatever books is excellent as well, really fleshes out how effective of a soldier she was, which I appreciated.   Kira was truly one of the first really, REALLY strong female characters that I found believable, so far as combat ability combined with brains went.

I've seen her at a convention once, and also in Vancouver when she worked on BSG for one ep - she is one of those women that's like wine IMO, she  must train and really eat well, because she's incredible really for her age.  I was impressed too when I saw her, and saw lot of guys giving her sideways looks frequently, and she knew it, hah. 

Her and Rene (Odo) are great together at cons, their real life relationship is as interesting as their on screen one to watch, very entertaining.

18 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

I think it's amazing that a major character on a television show is a former terrorist, something she's not ashamed to admit.

I did like that they never took the easy option of having her feeling she needed to be repentant about her past. While she may not exactly be proud of some of the things she did, she's also not apologising for it either (even when it would benefit her to do so).

5 hours ago, williamjm said:

I did like that they never took the easy option of having her feeling she needed to be repentant about her past. While she may not exactly be proud of some of the things she did, she's also not apologising for it either (even when it would benefit her to do so).

Exactly! And lest I spoil...

Spoiler

She goes after Tom Riker, when he steals the Defiant, by telling him that he's fighting like a soldier in a terrorist's war. It's so cool that a former terrorist gets to be a hero, something that would never have flown post-9/11.

2 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

Exactly! And lest I spoil...

Hide contents

She goes after Tom Riker, when he steals the Defiant, by telling him that he's fighting like a soldier in a terrorist's war. It's so cool that a former terrorist gets to be a hero, something that would never have flown post-9/11.

In the context of DS9 I think it might have.

Great minds thing alike - I've often considered how Kira's character would likely never have existed had 9/11 happened prior to DS9 launching.  So much of the dialogue would have been different as well regarding the Bajoran struggle for freedom.  It's perspective I guess, but "terrorists" never call themselves such, typically calling themselves partisans, freedom fighters, what have you, but the honesty of the Kira character, calling a spade a spade, and not shying away from referring to herself and her band as terrorists - I too always respected that, and the gumption it took to write those scripts.   Agreed, it never would have happened post 9/11.

I disagree. Most of the writers on DS9 went on to work on Battlestar Galactica, which not only had the main characters being terrorists but being suicide bombers and using the tractics of the Iraqi insurgency and the Taliban against the Cylons on New Caprica. It was quite blatant, and only a few years after 9/11.

6 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Great minds thing alike - I've often considered how Kira's character would likely never have existed had 9/11 happened prior to DS9 launching.  So much of the dialogue would have been different as well regarding the Bajoran struggle for freedom.  It's perspective I guess, but "terrorists" never call themselves such, typically calling themselves partisans, freedom fighters, what have you, but the honesty of the Kira character, calling a spade a spade, and not shying away from referring to herself and her band as terrorists - I too always respected that, and the gumption it took to write those scripts.   Agreed, it never would have happened post 9/11.

I often say that the Star Trek franchise grew more conservative after TOS, and I still believe that, but Kira's background is one way in which it did not. Ron Moore has said that, as time went on, Rick Berman focused his attention increasingly on Voyager, which left the DS9 writers freer to do things like...

Spoiler

...having Nog lose a leg in the Dominion War, although Moore notes there was a titanic battle with Berman to get that approved.

I finished it. I kept meaning to come here and express my thoughts in more detail, in particular about the last 3 seasons, but I just haven't had the time. I could tell you now that it's in my top 5 sci-fi series. I would like to explore Babylon 5 next, which I watched a bit of as a kid, but unfortunately it's not on Netflix and Amazon charges for it, and I don't know if it's worth it.

13 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I finished it. I kept meaning to come here and express my thoughts in more detail, in particular about the last 3 seasons, but I just haven't had the time. I could tell you now that it's in my top 5 sci-fi series. I would like to explore Babylon 5 next, which I watched a bit of as a kid, but unfortunately it's not on Netflix and Amazon charges for it, and I don't know if it's worth it.

What are your favorite episodes?

Not just Ron Moore. Michael Taylor, Jane Espenson, Bradley Thompson and David Weddle were all DS9 vets. I think Ron wanted Ira Steven Behr on board, but he was working on The 4400 at the same time so couldn't do it. Naren Shankar from DS9 was working on police dramas, although he recently came back to SF with The Expanse.

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I would like to explore Babylon 5 next, which I watched a bit of as a kid, but unfortunately it's not on Netflix and Amazon charges for it, and I don't know if it's worth it.

Definitely! It's just a pity it's not getting a TNG-style HD remaster. Make sure you watch it in order (but leave the movies for afterwards, aside from The Gathering, which was the actual pilot; in particular, the prequel In the Beginning should not be watched first).

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I think Babylon 5 is definitely worth watching as well. Comparing the two shows now, I'd say Babylon 5 has the better long-term story arc (although the DS9 story is still good, especially considering how it had far less pre-planning), while DS9 tends to do standalone episodes better. I think DS9 had a much higher per-episode budget and the difference is noticeable. The first season of B5 isn't all that great and has too many mediocre standalone episodes although it does have some high points. Seasons 2-4 are excellent, I think maybe the closest TV has come to making something that feels like a big Space Opera novel in TV format. There is also a season 5. 

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'm going to echo the others and say that B5 is definitely worth it. Personally, I think it outshines anything Star Trek ever did, although the acting is in general only so-so and the special effects are abysmal. (I don't get hung up on SE, but I know others care more.)

14 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

the special effects are abysmal. (I don't get hung up on SE, but I know others care more.)

Only by modern standards (and exacerbated by the conversion to widescreen). When it first aired, it looked phenomenal.

• 9 months later...

Ira Steven Behr has crowdfunded a new DS9 documentary.

Avery Brooks isn't taking part, although it's unclear if that's because he's unavailable or because he's gone a bit weird. But everyone else is on board.

As more than a few people have pointed out, if they raise a lot more money than they asked for, this might encourage CBS to look again at a HD remaster of the show.

Archived