Beards

A True Kaniggit

The cultural history of beards is interesting. In Marx' generation it was a mark of the 1848 revolutionaries. In the early 19th century full beards were rare, men were clean shaven except for sideburns.

But apparently it became a broader fashion and almost all famous scientists, writers etc. of the second half of the 19th century sported impressive full beards (although not always in Marx's class), Freud was one of the last ones. The petit bourgeoisie emulated whatever beard the current emperor wore.

This ended only with WW I. Gas masks could not be worn with a full beard and Gillette invented the disposable razor blades. Until the 1960s the new century became clean shaven, a full beard was only for crazy artists.

I usually stay clean shaven because my beard has a lot of gray in it.  So, I guess it's just a bit of vanity but I think I look a younger without the beard.  However, I'm getting of an age where it's not going to matter much anymore and, besides, Mrs. PotN actually likes my beard so...I'll probably keep one for awhile in the not-too-distant future.  I do agree with those who've mentioned that they're not really much less work, though, because I would keep it trimmed and I'd still have to shave my neck on a regular basis anyway. 

I have a full beard.  A year ago I went on a trip for a few weeks and didn't shave at all which was enough to make me pretty scruffy.  When I came back my girlfriend decided she was into the beard so I kept it.  Truth be told, I also like it.  This is not the first time I have had a beard but probably the longest period of time I have had one.  

As others have said it only itches at first.  I have not had any problems with acne or anything like that.  For me maintenance is more relaxed than shaving every day but generally I do not keep mine trimmed very short.  I think if you were obsessive about shaping and maintaining it then it probably would be more work than just shaving each day but I've only trimmed mine with clippers and a guard twice over the past year.  Once because I was about to get a passport photo and I wanted the shape of my face to be visible in case I decide not to have a beard anymore sometime in the next 10 years.  Normally I just use scissors every few days to clip hairs that have gotten out of hand.  And probably once a week I trim up the mustache area 'cause I don't want hairs touching my lips.  I trimmed it significantly again recently but, in general, it is more of a mountain man variety beard than a short / sculpted one.

I basically made an ex-boyfriend grow a beard for most of our relationship. He had a fast growing beard, so after shaving in the morning he was really scratchy in the evening. I usually ended up with a bad beard rash. Shaving twice a day was bad for his skin and a full beard was softer ^_^

Anyone who isn't sure about beards just shouldn't ever have one.  Your beard must grow sincerely and without doubt, my friends, or it shouldn't grow at all. 

1 hour ago, Nasrudin's True Love said:

Anyone who isn't sure about beards just shouldn't ever have one.  Your beard must grow sincerely and without doubt, my friends, or it shouldn't grow at all. 

But what if you are challenged to a Beard-Off? Then don't you have to at least make the attempt or lose face?

21 hours ago, S John said:

As others have said it only itches at first.  I have not had any problems with acne or anything like that.  For me maintenance is more relaxed than shaving every day but generally I do not keep mine trimmed very short.  I think if you were obsessive about shaping and maintaining it then it probably would be more work than just shaving each day but I've only trimmed mine with clippers and a guard twice over the past year.  Once because I was about to get a passport photo and I wanted the shape of my face to be visible in case I decide not to have a beard anymore sometime in the next 10 years.  Normally I just use scissors every few days to clip hairs that have gotten out of hand.  And probably once a week I trim up the mustache area 'cause I don't want hairs touching my lips.  I trimmed it significantly again recently but, in general, it is more of a mountain man variety beard than a short / sculpted one.

As far as mine is concerned, I use the clippers once a week and shave my neck and sculpt usually daily, maybe every other day.  Its nothing tedious. But, I've seen guys who look like they spend and hour on their perfectly sculpted beards. I can't even understand how they do it. Keeping my jawline and cheek lines straight is small victories. And, usually once every couple of months i have to skip shaving for a week, so I can trim it all to one length and begin anew. My beard tends to get smaller and smaller while trimming it(shape of it). Only negative in the process. 

On 3/7/2016 at 10:07 PM, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

You mean Nas?

*WINKS IN RRL'S GENERAL DIRECTION*

*CLUMSILY LICKS LIPS*

*TRIES TO MAKE HAND INTO SEXY TIGER CLAW*

*STARTS TO FEEL EXPOSED AND SELF-CONSCIOUS*

*LAUGHS AS IF IT WAS ALL A JOKE AND HE WAS JUST PRETENDING TO BE AN IDIOT*

22 hours ago, Knute said:

I would love a beard though, even if I think blonde beards don't look the best.

All the colours in the Beard Rainbow are beautiful, my friend.

9 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

But what if you are challenged to a Beard-Off? Then don't you have to at least make the attempt or lose face?

No.  If someone challenges you to a Beard-Off, the appropriate response is to decline.  Beards should not be the subject nor the object of competition.  They are true expressions of our unique, individual spirits and, as such, they are as wondrous as are we!

I actually just got rid of mine about two weeks ago - still keep a goatee pretty much year round because I like not getting carded - but this was my beard at the peak of its powers about a month and a half ago (shortly after this I ended up trimming it, then regrowing it then trimming down the goat and cutting everything else).

1jZEp0V.jpg

Archived