Football: 4 is Kompany

Zoë Sumra

Liverpool effectively had five first teamers missing today through injury and one suspension - Firmino, Hendo, Milner, Moreno and Lovren - and although MMH aren't setting the world on fire at the moment it was very disruptive to have so many changes to a winning team and it meant there were no options on the bench as we tired because the back-ups were already playing. 

CL spots look impossible now and at this point I would prefer we miss out on the EL too.  With the FA Cup potentially won by a team outside the top 6, only 5th and 6th would qualify for the EL.  We can swerve that and have more time next season for coaching and to integrate new players. 

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I didn't catch the full match,but someone please explain why Klopp brought on a striker when we're 2-0 up and that too Benteke! :bang: Why not shore up the midfield and/or add someone more defensive minded and basically park the bus and hit Southampton on the counter ? We had a 2 goal cushion FFS!! :bang:

ETA: why was Lovren subbed with Skrtel ?

You were up by 1 goal when he brought on Benteke. I can roughly guess what Klopp's reasoning might have been there. He probably hoped that Benteke offered him a chance to hit Southampton on the counter, or at the very least ease off some pressure, if Southampton starts to push. And Benteke replaced surridge, so it's not like he sacrificed a denfender for him.

Important win which puts us right back in the hunt for a top four finish. Still think that top four is a bit of a long shot for us because, given how our season has gone, I get the feeling that a run of mediocre performances is just around the corner. The Martial-Rashford partnership looks really promising though.

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Liverpool effectively had five first teamers missing today through injury and one suspension - Firmino, Hendo, Milner, Moreno and Lovren - and although MMH aren't setting the world on fire at the moment it was very disruptive to have so many changes to a winning team and it meant there were no options on the bench as we tired because the back-ups were already playing. 

Lovren was playing. Klopp pulled him after the first half, because he was worried about him getting a second yellow. I don't think that can be characterized as "missing through injury or suspension".

It would be gloriously ironic if Van Gaal saved his job by getting United into 4th, and Guardiola arrived to the Etihad to find he doesn't have any Champions League football.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

The Martial-Rashford partnership looks really promising though.

It really does.They need to hone their final passes a little- there were a few occasions where one was in the wrong place in the six-yard box for the cross or cutback the other played- but in general their movement and interchanging is excellent.

13 minutes ago, Jeor said:

It would be gloriously ironic if Van Gaal saved his job by getting United into 4th, and Guardiola arrived to the Etihad to find he doesn't have any Champions League football.

I think I might actually wet myself with glee if that happens.

58 minutes ago, Jeor said:

This scenario is quite possible. If I were either of these clubs, though, I'd be fairly concerned that West Ham currently looks quite a bit better than we do. 

So does the winner of EL go into champions league next year? I thought that was brought in last season. In that case if by some miracle liverpool get passed dortmund and win the thing what happens to the places alotted to the english teams for CL?

2 minutes ago, lmanion said:

So does the winner of EL go into champions league next year? I thought that was brought in last season. In that case if by some miracle liverpool get passed dortmund and win the thing what happens to the places alotted to the english teams for CL?

If that miracle happened there would be five English teams in CL next year.

4 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Lovren was playing. Klopp pulled him after the first half, because he was worried about him getting a second yellow. I don't think that can be characterized as "missing through injury or suspension".

Yes, I heard that since.  I thought he must have been injured at half time but Klopp said it was because the ref looked like he was bowing to the home crowd, especially after the penalty he denied. 

3 hours ago, Nasrudin's True Love said:

This scenario is quite possible. If I were either of these clubs, though, I'd be fairly concerned that West Ham currently looks quite a bit better than we do. 

Despite how I dismissed the Hammers early in the season, I'd love to see them take a CL place ahead of both Mancs and let them toil on Thursdays instead.  The only problem is that Leicester and West Ham could jeopardize the PL's fourth CL place if they aren't ready for the extra games and higher caliber opposition. 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

If that miracle happened there would be five English teams in CL next year.

I thought that was the case although i did wonder if it counted as the 4th english team as well. I will admit its pretty wishful thinking at this stage

Yes, West Ham and Leicester in the CL next year could ultimately spell doom for the EPL's fourth-place slot. For all their good form this year, I can't see them making it out of the group stages. And if Arsenal happens to be one of the four teams, we'll not do much better and get knocked out in the Round of 16. Won't be good for the EPL's standing in Europe.

I would find it funny if Guardiola arrives at City without CL football after all that fanfare. It just seems so strange given the obvious strength of their squad. A lot of big English teams will be missing from the European stage next year - it would have been unthinkable for City to be one of them a couple of months ago.

35 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Yes, West Ham and Leicester in the CL next year could ultimately spell doom for the EPL's fourth-place slot. For all their good form this year, I can't see them making it out of the group stages. 

I can totally see a vastly underestimated Leicester making it through the group stage. Quite willing to bet that they will pull down the pants of at least one European giant next season.

Archived