Football: 4 is Kompany

Zoë Sumra

Yes of course you are right. Without the whole movement: the youth system, the mindset, and the money the german federation got from the WC to build the new stadiums and to finance the project, Guardiola couldn't do anything. Yet you can't deny Bayern was the backbone of that team, and the work of a club manager is way more effective than a national selection manager. Historically it has been the same for Italy and Juventus or Milan: when lot of players come from the same club the national team plays better. Another exemple would be Spain that won his world and euro cup thanks to Guardiola's Barcelona, or the amazing Netherland (to remember the legend Cruijff) and Ajax in the 70s both trained by Rinus Michels for a while, or the golden Hungary and Honved in the 50s.

Unlike Pep's Barca with Spain, Germany's style has quite little in common with his ideas (lots of passing yes, but far more high-risk and counter-attacky and less of a press) and they'd been playing said style long before he took over. Giving him the credit for their win is laughable.

2 hours ago, Lucailduca said:

I think the real responsible of the Germany renaissance is Guardiola.

Germany reached at least the semifinal in every major tournament since 2006. That's quite an impact Guardiola had since before he took over Barcelona B.

England's performance in comparison to both standard England and Germany today showed why picking young, hungry players who are doing well now is much superior to just selecting the same old names. Much more than the result was good about that performance.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Unlike Pep's Barca with Spain, Germany's style has quite little in common with his ideas (lots of passing yes, but far more high-risk and counter-attacky and less of a press) and they'd been playing said style long before he took over. Giving him the credit for their win is laughable.

If you say so... I've never seen Germany dominating a game like they did in 2014. They have always been the most consistent team in the world but they never played great football. They were one of the most boring team to watch. Actually in 2010 they were not bad, but they played a more phisical football, as expected from them, only with better players on the pitch.

Ofc analyzing football concepts it's more complicated than 3 lines on a fucking forum about dragons, so don't quote me to say it's laughable. It is if you don't consider the medium and the contest.

1 hour ago, Jon AS said:

Germany reached at least the semifinal in every major tournament since 2006. That's quite an impact Guardiola had since before he took over Barcelona B.

And they got to the quarter finals since forever. That's not the point as you brilliantly noticed...

13 minutes ago, Lucailduca said:

Ofc analyzing football concepts it's more complicated than 3 lines on a fucking forum about dragons, so don't quote me to say it's laughable. It is if you don't consider the medium and the contest.

Har har har. You're allowed to analyse but we can't answer back? Why is that?   

And if you think Germany were physical and dreary in 2010 then you simply weren't watching properly.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Har har har. You're allowed to analyse but we can't answer back? Why is that?   

And if you think Germany were physical and dreary in 2010 then you simply weren't watching properly.

It was not an analysis, that's the point, it was only a post. Of course you can answer back but since everytime you got only 3 words of what I'm saying, I have to waste time to explain the obvious. For example I said exactly the opposite: they were NOT dreary but they played MORE phisically than in 2014. 

46 minutes ago, Sept Sev said:

England's performance in comparison to both standard England and Germany today showed why picking young, hungry players who are doing well now is much superior to just selecting the same old names. Much more than the result was good about that performance.

I'll bet Woy is secretly praying for a Rooney setback. Then again, this is the man who said he is perfectly willing to take a midfielder who hasn't played a single match all season. As much as I love Wilshere, there's no way he should be anywhere near the Euros this summer.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I only just noticed the Copa America will be played in the US in June, with three group games and a semi-final here in Chicago. 

I'll sheepishly look into tickets and see what's still available.  The Argie game and semi-final would be my main picks, skip the US game and it depends on who are the two bottom seeds in Mexico's group. 

55 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I'll bet Woy is secretly praying for a Rooney setback. Then again, this is the man who said he is perfectly willing to take a midfielder who hasn't played a single match all season. As much as I love Wilshere, there's no way he should be anywhere near the Euros this summer.

But Hodgeson is clearly in love with Wilshere.  I like him, too, but not in the deep position Hodgeson wants him in.  I think both Dier and Drinkwater are more suited to that role.  And Mark Noble, of course, but that's just never going to happen. 

1 hour ago, Lucailduca said:

If you say so... I've never seen Germany dominating a game like they did in 2014. They have always been the most consistent team in the world but they never played great football. They were one of the most boring team to watch.

You clearly weren't paying particularly close attention then. Mid to late nineties Germany weren't great to watch, Germany from the time Klinsmann and Löw took over were focused on an entertaining style that ensured lots of goals (Germany were the top scoring team at the last three World Cups and second only to Spain at the last two Euros). The changes in style since 2006 can be mostly attributed to minor tweaks made over a longer period of time, partly brought on by having to adapt to the players available for selection (notably a glut of midfielders and a shortage of reliable strikers).

7 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I don't think I'd blame Klinsmann, who led very limited teams out of the group stage in two consecutive WCs.  Most US players don't grow up in a sufficiently competitive environment, don't play in sufficiently competitive leagues, and compete internationally in a soft conference.  The best US athletes are not playing soccer and the ones who are are not used to playing at the highest level.

What do you expect him to achieve?

To not get less than 2nd place at the Gold Cup.  To earn the US a spot in the Confederations Cup.  To win a WCQ in Trinidad and Tobago.  To get at least a draw in a WCQ in Guatamala (USMNT is notoriously bad on the road in Central America.). 

12 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

Can we just sack Klinsmann now, please? He continues to try to unlock something in our team but keeps falling short. 

Not sure who we could get as a better coach,  but his time should be over. 

My first thought is Jason Kreis.

10 hours ago, Lucailduca said:

It was not an analysis, that's the point, it was only a post. Of course you can answer back but since everytime you got only 3 words of what I'm saying, I have to waste time to explain the obvious. For example I said exactly the opposite: they were NOT dreary but they played MORE phisically than in 2014. 

What you said is that they played the same as the old Germany but with better players. As Jon said above, that just isn't true.

Archived