Isobel Harper

Wow, I Never Noticed That, v. 14

474 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Opened a new thread.

Could we close this one and pin the new one?

These threads have never been pinned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, thought they were.  :]

ETA: I guess you could say... I never noticed that. 

Edited by Isobel Harper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are always pinned in my mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Oh, thought they were.  :]

ETA: I guess you could say... I never noticed that. 

:D

5 minutes ago, The Egg said:

Why closing the last one?

We had passed the 400 posts (quite some time ago), which means it is time for a new thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Egg said:

Of course, Aurane has his purposes and driving Ser Loras into a suicide mission is part of it, but I considered that just part of his way of looking for the Queen's approval. I don't think he'd have fled if she hadn't been imprisoned, war galleys are not the best ships for a raider/pirate, as the Ironborn have proven.
Aurane is cunning, but I can't see him important (and strong) enough to have an agenda on his own, either he's someone's instrument or he just fled for fear of losing the power he'd gained under Cersei.

<snip>

Personally, I think he's under Varys' influence.  Aurane managed to clear Dragonstone and Storm's End of the Tyrells and Redwynes, clearing the way for Aegon's conquest in the Stormlands.  Too convenient to be a coincidence.  He's most likely in the Stepstones at the moment, where the other half of the GC curiously went missing. 

I'm currently on the fence as to whether Aurane is truly a pirate.

[Cersei] "Highgarden has gold as well. You have my leave to hire sellsails from beyond the narrow sea."
"Pirates out of Myr and Lys, you mean?" Loras said with contempt. "The scum of the Free Cities?"
 
Aurane was a sellsail in Stannis' fleet.  The rumor of Aurane being a pirate might simply be slander.  He could very well be taking up his old profession, more or less, defending Aegon from enemy fleets, who had been shadowing the GC and would have attempted to prevent Aegon from landing in Westeros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Personally, I think he's under Varys' influence.  Aurane managed to clear Dragonstone and Storm's End of the Tyrells and Redwynes, clearing the way for Aegon's conquest in the Stormlands.  Too convenient to be a coincidence.  He's most likely in the Stepstones at the moment, where the other half of the GC curiously went missing. 

I'm currently on the fence as to whether Aurane is truly a pirate.

[Cersei] "Highgarden has gold as well. You have my leave to hire sellsails from beyond the narrow sea."
"Pirates out of Myr and Lys, you mean?" Loras said with contempt. "The scum of the Free Cities?"
 
Aurane was a sellsail in Stannis' fleet.  The rumor of Aurane being a pirate might simply be slander.  He could very well be taking up his old profession, more or less, defending Aegon from enemy fleets, who had been shadowing the GC and would have attempted to prevent Aegon from landing in Westeros.

I agree Varys is the most likely to have "bought" him, given how good are Aurane's actions for Aegon. 

Whether he's really in contact with the GC we can't know, but for sure we'll see him back somewhere. I found weird that Kevan doesn't think he's a potential threat during the epilogue of Dance: I guess it's because he hasn't heard from him since he left and he assumes he's only hiding for now, but I think your explanation fits much better than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The waif and kindly man were not the only servants of the Many-Faced God. From time to time others would visit the House of Black and White. The fat fellow had fierce black eyes, a hook nose, and a wide mouth full of yellow teeth. The stern face never smiled; his eyes were pale, his lips full and dark. The handsome man had a beard of a different color every time she saw him, and a different nose, but he was never less than comely. Those three came most often, but there were others: the squinter, the lordling, the starved man. One time the fat fellow and the squinter came together. Umma sent Arya to pour for them. "When you are not pouring, you must stand as still as if you had been carved of stone," the kindly man told her. "Can you do that?"

"Yes." Before you can learn to move you must learn to be still, Syrio Forel had taught her long ago at King's Landing, and she had. She had served as Roose Bolton's cupbearer at Harrenhal, and he would flay you if you spilled his wine.

"Good," the kindly man said. "It would be best if you were blind and deaf as well. You may hear things, but you must let them pass in one ear and out the other. Do not listen."

Arya heard much and more that night, but almost all of it was in the tongue of Braavos, and she hardly understood one word in ten. Still as stone, she told herself. The hardest part was struggling not to yawn. Before the night was done, her wits were wandering. Standing there with the flagon in her hands, she dreamed she was a wolf, running free through a moonlit forest with a great pack howling at her heels.


Was Ilyrio meeting with the House of Black and White?

Is "stern face" Jon Connington perhaps?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

The waif and kindly man were not the only servants of the Many-Faced God. From time to time others would visit the House of Black and White. The fat fellow had fierce black eyes, a hook nose, and a wide mouth full of yellow teeth. The stern face never smiled; his eyes were pale, his lips full and dark. The handsome man had a beard of a different color every time she saw him, and a different nose, but he was never less than comely. Those three came most often, but there were others: the squinter, the lordling, the starved man. One time the fat fellow and the squinter came together. Umma sent Arya to pour for them. "When you are not pouring, you must stand as still as if you had been carved of stone," the kindly man told her. "Can you do that?"

"Yes." Before you can learn to move you must learn to be still, Syrio Forel had taught her long ago at King's Landing, and she had. She had served as Roose Bolton's cupbearer at Harrenhal, and he would flay you if you spilled his wine.

"Good," the kindly man said. "It would be best if you were blind and deaf as well. You may hear things, but you must let them pass in one ear and out the other. Do not listen."

Arya heard much and more that night, but almost all of it was in the tongue of Braavos, and she hardly understood one word in ten. Still as stone, she told herself. The hardest part was struggling not to yawn. Before the night was done, her wits were wandering. Standing there with the flagon in her hands, she dreamed she was a wolf, running free through a moonlit forest with a great pack howling at her heels.


Was Ilyrio meeting with the House of Black and White?

Is "stern face" Jon Connington perhaps?

 

 

I think those were Faceless Men. I think the plague victim may have been everybody's favorite--the Faceless Man who paid Arya's debt to Red Rahloo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I think those were Faceless Men. I think the plague victim may have been everybody's favorite--the Faceless Man who paid Arya's debt to Red Rahloo. 

Which plaque victim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Which plaque victim?

He's the Faceless Man who took Arya aside after the meeting and gave her her first hit. There is sufficient time between Samwell V, Feast and The Ugly Little Girl for the Faceless Man who paid Arya's debt to the Red God to get from Oldtown to Braavos by sea and assume the identity of the plague "victim," whom Arya meets after serving at table for the large gathering of Faceless Men in the House of Black and White, when Arya gets her first contract assignment. I'm thinking (just speculating really) that he did his business and got outta Dodge after doing whatever (or whomever--there's always someone needing mortality) needed doing in Oldtown... Perhaps we'll see some clues in Samwell's chapters or in Daenerys's or Barristan's chapters after Marwyn arrives in the east...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:
3 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

He's the Faceless Man who took Arya aside after the meeting and gave her her first hit. There is sufficient time between Samwell V, Feast and The Ugly Little Girl for the Faceless Man who paid Arya's debt to the Red God to get from Oldtown to Braavos by sea and assume the identity of the plague "victim," whom Arya meets after serving at table for the large gathering of Faceless Men in the House of Black and White, when Arya gets her first contract assignment. I'm thinking (just speculating really) that he did his business and got outta Dodge after doing whatever (or whomever--there's always someone needing mortality) needed doing in Oldtown... Perhaps we'll see some clues in Samwell's chapters or in Daenerys's or Barristan's chapters after Marwyn arrives in the east...

 

I'm currently doing a reread of Feast.  Well, certain chapters: all chapters outside the Sam, Greyjoy, and Dornish arc.  It started as a quick "Cersei" reread, then turned into a "not so quick chapters I also don't wanna pass up" reread.  :/

Anywho, I'll hit that Arya chapter pretty soon I think.  I'll look at that chapter closely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wyman isn't the only Manderly to cannibalize. 

No one wanted to tell him. Finally, Shitmouth lowered his eyes, and muttered, "Rotted, ser. And et."

"One of the captives was always begging food," Rafford admitted, "so Ser said to give him roast goat. The Qohorik didn't have much meat on him, though. Ser took his hands and feet first, then his arms and legs."

"The fat bugger got most, m'lord," Shitmouth offered, "but Ser, he said to see that all the captives had a taste. And Hoat too, his own self. That whoreson 'ud slobber when we fed him, and the grease'd run down into that skinny beard o' his."

I wonder if the "Frey pies" were also a sort of revenge for making his son Wylis eat human meat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Wyman isn't the only Manderly to cannibalize. 

No one wanted to tell him. Finally, Shitmouth lowered his eyes, and muttered, "Rotted, ser. And et."

"One of the captives was always begging food," Rafford admitted, "so Ser said to give him roast goat. The Qohorik didn't have much meat on him, though. Ser took his hands and feet first, then his arms and legs."

"The fat bugger got most, m'lord," Shitmouth offered, "but Ser, he said to see that all the captives had a taste. And Hoat too, his own self. That whoreson 'ud slobber when we fed him, and the grease'd run down into that skinny beard o' his."

I wonder if the "Frey pies" were also a sort of revenge for making his son Wylis eat human meat.

Absolutely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

Wyman isn't the only Manderly to cannibalize. 

No one wanted to tell him. Finally, Shitmouth lowered his eyes, and muttered, "Rotted, ser. And et."

"One of the captives was always begging food," Rafford admitted, "so Ser said to give him roast goat. The Qohorik didn't have much meat on him, though. Ser took his hands and feet first, then his arms and legs."

"The fat bugger got most, m'lord," Shitmouth offered, "but Ser, he said to see that all the captives had a taste. And Hoat too, his own self. That whoreson 'ud slobber when we fed him, and the grease'd run down into that skinny beard o' his."

I wonder if the "Frey pies" were also a sort of revenge for making his son Wylis eat human meat.

I'd imagine so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Aurane Waters and Petyr Baelish have grey-green eyes and I think they are the only two characters with that eye color. Coincidence or connection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Wyman isn't the only Manderly to cannibalize. 

No one wanted to tell him. Finally, Shitmouth lowered his eyes, and muttered, "Rotted, ser. And et."

"One of the captives was always begging food," Rafford admitted, "so Ser said to give him roast goat. The Qohorik didn't have much meat on him, though. Ser took his hands and feet first, then his arms and legs."

"The fat bugger got most, m'lord," Shitmouth offered, "but Ser, he said to see that all the captives had a taste. And Hoat too, his own self. That whoreson 'ud slobber when we fed him, and the grease'd run down into that skinny beard o' his."

I wonder if the "Frey pies" were also a sort of revenge for making his son Wylis eat human meat.

Did Wylis even know?

And it weren't the Frey's who made him eat human flesh, but Gregor. Wyman would be punishing people who had nothing to with the incident...

 

1 hour ago, Lord Wraith said:

Both Aurane Waters and Petyr Baelish have grey-green eyes and I think they are the only two characters with that eye color. Coincidence or connection?

As far as we know, yes, they seem to be the only ones.

http://weirwood-net.com/physical-data

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Oh this site is new to me. Bookmarked. 

:) The site launched almost a month ago! Extremely useful for searches like that one, and lots of other stuff besides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.