Wow, I Never Noticed That, v. 14

Isobel Harper

1 hour ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Arya likes to mimick people when they are hurt (after hurting her friends).

Again in WoW

First CoK

Reveal hidden contents

From Mercy, WoW. Arya says the same thing to Raff.

App won't let me copy the text, sorry for that.

Sorry if it has been brought up before. 

This is the pertaining quote from TWoW

Spoiler

Walk?” His fingers were slick with blood. “Are you blind, girl? I'm bleeding like a stuck pig. I can't walk on this.”

“Well,” she said, “I don't know how you'll get there, then.”

“You'll need to carry me.”

See? thought Mercy. You know your line, and so do I.

“Think so?” asked Arya, sweetly.

Raff the Sweetling looked up sharply as the long thin blade came sliding from her sleeve. She slipped it through his throat beneath the chin, twisted, and ripped it back out sideways with a single smooth slash. A fine red rain followed, and in his eyes the light went out.

6 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Arya likes to mimick people when they are hurt (after hurting her friends).

Again in WoW

First CoK

Reveal hidden contents

From Mercy, WoW. Arya says the same thing to Raff.

App won't let me copy the text, sorry for that.

Sorry if it has been brought up before. 

A man the others called the Tickler asked the questions. His face was so ordinary and his garb so plain that Arya might have thought him one of the villagers before she had seen him at his work. "Tickler makes them howl so hard they piss themselves," old stoop-shoulder Chiswyck told them. He was the man she'd tried to bite, who'd called her a fierce little thing and smashed her head with a mailed fist. Sometimes he helped the Tickler. Sometimes others did that. Ser Gregor Clegane himself would stand motionless, watching and listening, until the victim died.

The questions were always the same. Was there gold hidden in the village? Silver, gems? Was there more food? Where was Lord Beric Dondarrion? Which of the village folk had aided him? When he rode off, where did he go? How many men were with them? How many knights, how many bowmen, how many men-at-arms? How were they armed? How many were horsed? How many were wounded? What other enemy had they seen? How many? When? What banners did they fly? Where did they go? Was there gold hidden in the village? Silver, gems? Where was Lord Beric Dondarrion? How many men were with him? By the third day, Arya could have asked the questions herself. ACOK, Arya VI

The Tickler backed away. Arya could smell his fear. The shortsword in his hand suddenly seemed almost a toy against the long blade the Hound was holding, and he wasn't armored either. He moved swiftly, light on his feet, never taking his eyes off Sandor Clegane. It was the easiest thing in the world for Arya to step up behind him and stab him.

"Is there gold hidden in the village?" she shouted as she drove the blade up through his back. "Is there silver? Gems?" She stabbed twice more. "Is there food? Where is Lord Beric?" She was on top of him by then, still stabbing. "Where did he go? How many men were with him? How many knights? How many bowmen? How many, how many, how many, how many, how many, how many? Is there gold in the village?" ASOS, Arya XIII

4 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Robert sat down again. "Damn you, Ned Stark. You and Jon Arryn, I loved you both. What have you done to me? You were the one should have been king, you or Jon."

Heh.  I see what you did there, Mr Martin.

Nice. 

In AGoT Bran VII, Bran dreams of meeting his father's ghost in the crypts.  Maester Luwin brings Bran down into  crypts and shows him his father's empty tomb to prove his father isn't there.  Then, Shaggydog leaps out of the shadows and attacks Luwin.  When Rickon appears, he says he dreamed of Ned as well.

Rickon nodded. "You leave him. You leave him be. He's coming home now, like he promised. He's coming home."

Bran had never seen Maester Luwin look so uncertain before. Blood dripped down his arm where Shaggydog had shredded the wool of his sleeve and the flesh beneath. "Osha, the torch," he said, biting through his pain, and she snatched it up before it went out. Soot stains blackened both legs of his uncle's likeness. "That … that beast," Luwin went on, "is supposed to be chained up in the kennels."

Rickon patted Shaggydog's muzzle, damp with blood. "I let him loose. He doesn't like chains." He licked at his fingers.

Rickon drinks Maester Luwin's blood!!! 

Skagos is really not a good place for this kid to grow up. 

>>Rickon patted Shaggydog's muzzle, damp with blood. "I let him loose. He doesn't like chains." He licked at his fingers.
>Rickon drinks Maester Luwin's blood!!!

no; shouldn't you interpret that line as Shaggydog licking Rickon's fingers? That is a rather normal response of a canine to being patted by the master...

51 minutes ago, WilliamDhalgren said:

>>Rickon patted Shaggydog's muzzle, damp with blood. "I let him loose. He doesn't like chains." He licked at his fingers.
>Rickon drinks Maester Luwin's blood!!!

no; shouldn't you interpret that line as Shaggydog licking Rickon's fingers? That is a rather normal response of a canine to being patted by the master...

Some have suggested that Rickon was licking his fingers. ;)

This has probably been caught before but in case it hasn't...

Catelyn VI, GoT:

“We learned that to our sorrow, Ser Donnel,” Catelyn said. Sometimes she felt as though her heart had turned to stone; six brave men had died to bring her this far, and she could not even find it in her to weep for them

Heehee :lol:

A Dance with Dragons - Jon X

...Satin was all grace, dancing with three serving girls in turn but never presuming to approach a highborn lady. Jon judged that wise. He did not like the way some of the queen's knights were looking at the steward, particularly Ser Patrek of King's Mountain. That one wants to shed a bit of blood, he thought. He is looking for some provocation.

...ya think?...

A Dance with Dragons - Jon XIII

Men poured from the surrounding keeps and towers. Northmen, free folk, queen's men … "Form a line," Jon Snow commanded them. "Keep them back. Everyone, but especially the queen's men." The dead man was Ser Patrek of King's Mountain; his head was largely gone, but his heraldry was as distinctive as his face. Jon did not want to risk Ser Malegorn or Ser Brus or any of the queen's other knights trying to avenge him.
Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun howled again and gave Ser Patrek's other arm a twist and pull. It tore loose from his shoulder with a spray of bright red blood. Like a child pulling petals off a daisy, thought Jon.

11 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

...Satin was all grace, dancing with three serving girls in turn but never presuming to approach a highborn lady. Jon judged that wise. He did not like the way some of the queen's knights were looking at the steward, particularly Ser Patrek of King's Mountain. That one wants to shed a bit of blood, he thought. He is looking for some provocation.

...ya think?...

Men poured from the surrounding keeps and towers. Northmen, free folk, queen's men … "Form a line," Jon Snow commanded them. "Keep them back. Everyone, but especially the queen's men." The dead man was Ser Patrek of King's Mountain; his head was largely gone, but his heraldry was as distinctive as his face. Jon did not want to risk Ser Malegorn or Ser Brus or any of the queen's other knights trying to avenge him.
Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun howled again and gave Ser Patrek's other arm a twist and pull. It tore loose from his shoulder with a spray of bright red blood. Like a child pulling petals off a daisy, thought Jon.

Now see, that's a nice Moment of Foreshadowing. :)

57 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

...ya think?...

You've been all over Ser Patrek lately! Im now considering you the foremost of knowledge regarding all things Ser Patrek. :D

From the very first post:

Assuming R+L=J, Sam and Jon are actually related to each other by marriage. Sam's mother is a Florent, Selyse Baratheon's first cousin, making Sam and Shireen Baratheon second cousins. Jon and Shireen would be third cousins; Rhaegar and Stannis are second cousins.

That sounds like something Sam would say to Jon after they find out about his heritage "Hey Jon, did you know we're actually related you and I? I read it in a book..."

Let's see, the things I noticed on my second read. After the execution of her father Sansa sees Janos Slynt, who had pushed Ned to his knees at the execution block, and she wishes a hero would chop of HIS head. Yep, a true hero :D

Also in the Sansa chapters, when The Mountain kills Ser Hugh in the jousting:

His armor was shiny new; a bright streak of fire ran down his outstretched arm, as the steel caught the light. Then the sun went behind a cloud, and it was gone. His cloak was blue, the color of the sky on a clear summer’s day, trimmed with a border of crescent moons, but as his blood seeped into it, the cloth darkened and the moons turned red, one by one.

This really makes me think about Lucifer's theories. A streak of fire, the Sun hides, the clear blue sky turns dark and red as well as the moon.

Then there was Jon telling Arya she would be "sowing" all through winter and when the spring comes they would find her all frozen with a "needle" in her hand. Eerie, too eerie :mellow:

There were many, many other little things that made me say to myself "George, you sneaky, cheeky bastard!".

EDIT: From other people:

Someone noticed that when Jon was climbing the steep mountain with Quorin Halfhand and his men he was told that he should see the mountain as his Mother, and cling to her to be safe while when Sansa was coming down from the Eyrie Mia told her she sees the mountain as her Father, she will not fall as long as she trusts in him. I think it was a you-tuber or a well-known poster.

Then there was that bit when Jon tells Mance about the time Lord Eddard had feasted King Robert in the great hall: “And did you see where I was seated, Mance?” He leaned forward. “Did you see where they put the bastard?”

But the biggest bastard in that room was Joffrey :rolleyes:. I think this was Schmendrik's observation because it implied that if Joff was the bastard then Jon was the Prince.

SECOND EDIT:

When Joff was attacked by Nymeria and Arya disarmed him and threw his sword into the river his sword was named "Lion's Tooth". Tywin's father was called "The Toothless Lion"  because he was the softest and weakest head of house Lannister in remembered history (we now know from the world book). Joffrey would have been Titos Lannister come again!

On 10/26/2016 at 8:36 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Now see, that's a nice Moment of Foreshadowing. :)

On 10/26/2016 at 9:24 PM, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

You've been all over Ser Patrek lately! Im now considering you the foremost of knowledge regarding all things Ser Patrek. :D

I know. It got kinda hot and steamy so I had to take my Ser Patrek talk to a different kind of forum ;)

On October 26, 2016 at 7:25 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

...ya think?...

This Easter Egg was my favorite in all the books. I spotted it on my third read and I giggled like a damn maniac.

"Why should I wager my feet for the chance to sweat in Winterfell in place of Harrenhal? You know old Ben Blackthumb? He came here as a boy. Smithed for Lady Whent and her father before her and his father before him, and even for Lord Lothston who held Harrenhal before the Whents. Now he smiths for Lord Tywin, and you know what he says? A sword's a sword, a helm's a helm, and if you reach in the fire you get burned, no matter who you're serving. Lucan's a fair enough master. I'll stay here."

I recall there being confusion amongst forum members concerning how long/how many generations the Whents held Harrenhal.  It appears I've found it.  Gendry lists Lady Whent, her father, his father, then Lothston.  Lady Whent's grandfather was awarded Harrenhal. 

On 10/29/2016 at 1:14 AM, Wat The Second said:

Someone noticed that when Jon was climbing the steep mountain with Quorin Halfhand and his men he was told that he should see the mountain as his Mother, and cling to her to be safe while when Sansa was coming down from the Eyrie Mia told her she sees the mountain as her Father, she will not fall as long as she trusts in him. I think it was a you-tuber or a well-known poster.

When Stonesnake says that to Jon, we get this:

Soon they were high enough so that looking down was best not considered. There was nothing below but yawning blackness, nothing above but moon and stars. "The mountain is your mother," Stonesnake had told him during an easier climb a few days past. "Cling to her, press your face up against her teats, and she won't drop you." Jon had made a joke of it, saying how he'd always wondered who his mother was, but never thought to find her in the Frostfangs. It did not seem nearly so amusing now. One step and then another, he thought, clinging tight. (Jon VI in Clash)

At the top of the mountain, Jon meets Ygritte (in a manner I believe to be similar to Rhaegar unmasking Lyanna as Knight of the Laughing Tree, but that's another story) and Ygritte tells him the story of Bael the Bard - who stole a Stark maiden; a maiden returned to her family a year later with a baby son.  So, Jon is told a story that correlates very closely to that of Lyanna and Rhaegar while in the Frostfangs.  He did find his mother there, just not in a way he expected and through a story that he does not realize the significance of. 

Archived