Vikings IX: The Bear Necessities [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

20 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

That was a terrific scene... the burning ships.... the chain... the carnage.... Rollo fucked up Ragnar & co bigtime

I liked him doing his war song. That opening 20 or so minutes was the best bit of season four so far. I thought Ragnar saving Floki was a great moment.

So Floki = seer. Didn't the seer kiss his hand a couple eps back now he is having visions of what's happening on kattegat? 

Rollo must have seen the Battle of Blackwater Bay episode of GOT :)  It doesn't take much to defeat an enemy that doesn't scout. Lagertha walk right into the Marais. If only they arrived centuries later after it was drained. That battle was a disaster for Ragnar. They sailed right into that trap. Ragnar's men will start turning on him soon if this keeps up. Bjorn needs to step up while dad kicks his habit.  I'm a bit tired of the proliferation of crossbows. My favorite part of the battle was Ragnar saving Floki. That and Gisla going fanboy on Lagertha afterwards. Even her enemies love her.

And they leave all the women and children behind with just Ubbe and Hvitserk to protect them. What could possibly go wrong? I hope Helga survives. I'm not sure what to think of Floki's vision. Were the gods revealing Aslaug's infidelity to him?

Haha, Aslaug asked Harbard the question we were all asking ourselves. Turns out he's just a  gigolo and shows up when all the men are gone. Turns out Sigurd wasn't blessed by the gods with foresight, he's just a perv peeping tom. Snake-in-the-eye, eh? In all honesty Harbard's little arc had me laughing. The ladies of Kattegatt love him and I'm not sure if Sigurd hates him or wants to be just like him.

Wessex was no surprise. Maybe it will be more interesting once he swallows up Mercia. And the prince wants to kill the rest of family and then make a pilgrimage to Rome to ask forgiveness. Gotta love the Middle Ages.

Those forts were pretty unimpressive.  They looked like they had 12 guys that somehow shot a 100 bolts per second each.  Seems like they could just beach their ships and attack the tiny forts with a larger force overcoming them easily. 

The crossbowmen on the ground without support were pretty stupid.  The whole advantage of having a crossbow is you can kill from a distance.  So, not only did Rollo anticipate them attacking from land, which his brother who knows him really well did not expect, he also knew exactly where they would be so he could ambush them from behind?  When did he become a clairvoyant tactical genius? If they simply attack 50 yards the other way they run into his weeny crossbowmen in the woods and slaughter them.  Why wouldn't they have used the trees as cover to get closer anyway? 

I do think this episode was better than many this season though.  Probably since there was so little of England and none of the French court.

Enjoyed the opening River fight. Thought Lagertha was great. The rest was mediocre to awful. 

Inch-high Snake in the Eye spying on Harbard the Gigilo. Yawn.

Aslaug. And Floki. WTF was that scene and why did it go on so long?

Bjorn still hasnt killed Erlendur. Ffs.

If one of Hirst's daughgers had to be taken out of comission WHY was it not Torvi?

Gisla asking if she would ever meet Lagertha felt a bit stupid. So far as we've seen the French arent taking prisoners. How the hell does Gisla plan to meet her?

Not enjoying drugged up Ragnar.

Is that Floki at the very end?

So Ragnar saves Floki and now they are BFFs again. :angry: Athelstan is apparently forgotten.

I have no clue how Gisla and Lagertha could meet, but I am sure it would be glorious.

I think Sigurd hates Harbard and is going to tell it all to dad and the older brothers once they come back. I am rather liking Sigurd, though he does not really speak much for now.

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Aslaug. And Floki. WTF was that scene and why did it go on so long?

Bjorn still hasnt killed Erlendur. Ffs.

The scene with Floki showed him as the new seer, probably. But it felt super weird being that long, and having the ''vision'' right after tending to his wife... like EXTRA weird.

At this point, I expect Erlendur to die from some random arrow in an anti-climatic way right before Bjorn decides to kill him.

2 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

So Ragnar saves Floki and now they are BFFs again. :angry: Athelstan is apparently forgotten.

I didn't get that at all. Did they even say one word to each other after Ragnar saved him? And Athelstan being forgotten would be a blessing :P 

1 minute ago, The Unborn said:

The scene with Floki showed him as the new seer, probably. But it felt super weird being that long, and having the ''vision'' right after tending to his wife... like EXTRA weird.

Yeah I think Floki on path to being the new seer is a interesting development but that scene was bad. 

I agree, it was weird and too long.

Do you people think that it might have been the near-death experience during the drowning that brought him closer to the gods so he can now be Seer?

Still, it was a good episode. Only the England parts were unncecessary.

1 minute ago, Mark Antony said:

I didn't get that at all. Did they even say one word to each other after Ragnar saved him? And Athelstan being forgotten would be a blessing :P 

Pffffft. You people just do not recognise how horrible a loss Athelstan's death was. :angry:

4 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

At this point, I expect Erlendur to die from some random arrow in an anti-climatic way right before Bjorn decides to kill him.

Ugh. So many better ways to do that than...this. The scene was just completely stupid for me, as well as far too long, and as you see, especially weird after having just been by his wife.

Also, had he been blinded (like the other Seer) at the end there? It's kind of difficult for me to tell because I watch on my iPad

Did anyone else notice in the scene where Ragnar goes to the river to cry in the rain after the battle that he rubs his scalp tattoos off? At least it looked like it to me. I'll have to watch that scene again.

I liked the battle, though I agree about the crossbows are overused. And Lagertha should have been captured, to give a better dynamic of the whole thing. Too many of these leaders manage to escape despite being in the thick of things.

The rest was OK. 

Whose head was that at the end?

Others here also are wondering how Lagertha wouldn't have scouted before leading an attack on the back of the -- what? fort? I dunno what they call that thing that looks like a piece of stage scenery left over from The Tudors' masques from the early seasons.

Gisela asking if she might one day meet Lagertha seemed to be a foreshadowing of her capture by Rollo, which would surely lead to all sorts of shenanigans, if such a thing takes place.

How was the camp left without guards or at least look-outs?  Though that slick-haired horseman overseeing the massacre of women and children -- hey, buddy this deed hasn't won you any accoaldes either in life or in the ballads and poems hereafter.

How much more icky could Hirst get than Floki, just rescued by Ragnar, having sex with Aslaug whether it was fantasy, seer vision or whatever? Admitting here I was wondering when that licking of Floki's palm by the Seer was ever going to kick in -- but why, this way?  O, yes, sex, we need some sex, some more meaningless sex. Sigurd -- creepy kid.  He and Ivar, o boy, the future has some serious nasty in it.

We figured that sending off Aethelwulf on a meaningless journey to Rome meant that Eckbert was free and clear to take over Mercia and rid himself of that obstacle of Queen Kwenthrith.  Have to say this turn was out of nowhere but rather nice.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I liked the battle, though I agree about the crossbows are overused. And Lagertha should have been captured, to give a better dynamic of the whole thing. Too many of these leaders manage to escape despite being in the thick of things.

The rest was OK. 

Whose head was that at the end?

Yah -- It's not as though Lagertha has had anything to do this entire season so far so she may as well be a prisoner.

Nor do I know who that head is supposed to belong to, or if it even was there.

Too many frackin' visions by too many people in one episode for my taste.

Ragnar's not doing anything either since he became an addict.  Get rid of him already.

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Ugh. So many better ways to do that than...this. The scene was just completely stupid for me, as well as far too long, and as you see, especially weird after having just been by his wife.

Yup. I am so over these ridiculously long sex scenes. Christ knows what they're trying to do. It's not sexy. It's not arty. It's just shit. As is mostly everything this season.

I would say the battle was awesome, except the Northmen's tactics were so stupid it basically ruined it for me.

Archived