the dragon riders

So almost everyone believes r+l=j, therefore jon is likely going to be a dragon rider, my question is which dragon is he going to ride? (excluding the ice dragon because it is not part of the same universe) I was thinking drogon because of the whole black NW cloak and drogon being black thing, also we are not 100% that dany has tamed him. What are your thoughts on the whole dragon riders thing?  

If Dany's babies act according to known dragonlore, Jon cannot ride Drogon unless Dany is dead. A dragon takes one rider at a time, and a rider can only have one dragon at a time to ride. No telling if those rules might be broken though. If anyone CAN ride more than one dragon, it will be Dany, their mother.

That said, assuming Dany is not dead at the time Jon gets on a dragon (if he does), there's a good case to be made that he will ride Rhaegal, the one named for his father. But then there's an equally valid case to be made for his riding the white/cream dragon, because he got the white direwolf. Viserion seems a bit closer to Ghost in temperament than Rhaegal does, but Jon might like a challenge. 

Basically I have no clue, but I lean toward Rhaegal for sentimental reasons. If Jon shares Targ blood the dragons may be able to sense that, and it might give him an edge with dragon-crankypants. Viserion, by comparison should be easier for someone to claim, particularly if Targ blood is helpful but not actually necessary.

I do expect to see more than just Dany riding. Who else rides is entirely speculation but I have this head-canon of Cersei looking out her tower window to see Tyrion buzzing the Red Keep on a flying fire-machine. :lol: That alone would be worth it.

Tyrion will design the saddles, whether he rides or not.  And do remember, the riders can take a passenger along on occasion, as Visenya did, so we may see some people riding along who are not dragonriders.

I think Drogon is out. I think Drogon is Dany's and that seems pretty apparent to me. She seems closest to him since the eggs hatched. And she's already ridden him. And IMO that bond was solidified at the end of Dance. I don't remember where it's stated but I'm pretty sure it says somewhere that a dragon only has one rider at a time. And Dany is Drogon's rider. So unless she dies Jon won't be riding Drogon. So that leaves Rhaegel & Viserion. I can't remember which is which. But I know one of them is constantly described as having molten gold coloring. As much as I despise the idea I feel like that points toward one of the Lannisters especially since that dragons coloring is talked about a lot with those specific words. So that leaves the green dragon for Jon. Of course this all assumes Jon gets a dragon.

I don't think there's an ice dragon. Dany's 3 dragons are going to be the only ones of consequence to the story. I personally think the ice dragon is just Jon.

1 minute ago, Maxxine said:

I think Drogon is out. I think Drogon is Dany's and that seems pretty apparent to me. She seems closest to him since the eggs hatched. And she's already ridden him. And IMO that bond was solidified at the end of Dance. I don't remember where it's stated but I'm pretty sure it says somewhere that a dragon only has one rider at a time. And Dany is Drogon's rider. So unless she dies Jon won't be riding Drogon. So that leaves Rhaegel & Viserion. I can't remember which is which. But I know one of them is constantly described as having molten gold coloring. As much as I despise the idea I feel like that points toward one of the Lannisters especially since that dragons coloring is talked about a lot with those specific words. So that leaves the green dragon for Jon. Of course this all assumes Jon gets a dragon.

I don't think there's an ice dragon. Dany's 3 dragons are going to be the only ones of consequence to the story. I personally think the ice dragon is just Jon.

Viserion is cream/white and gold. Rhaegal is green and bronze. 

To be a Lannister dragon it would have to be red and gold. Drogon however is perfectly attired for a Targ rider. :D

3 hours ago, The Unburnt Martell said:

So almost everyone believes r+l=j, therefore jon is likely going to be a dragon rider, my question is which dragon is he going to ride? (excluding the ice dragon because it is not part of the same universe) I was thinking drogon because of the whole black NW cloak and drogon being black thing, also we are not 100% that dany has tamed him. What are your thoughts on the whole dragon riders thing?  

I agree. Black always was his color. But that means Daeneryshas to die, or no dragon for the special snowflake. Aegon will ride the green one. Brown Ben and/or Tyrion will ride the white one. So will Timett. 

My stance on the three dragon riders is that the name of the dragon is significant.  Drogon is named after Drogo so it only makes sense for Dany, Drogo's wife, to ride him.  Rhaegal is named after Rhaegar so it would make sense for one of his children to ride Rhaegal.  My bet is on Aegon, since I believe (perhaps falsely) that Aegon is Aegon VI and that Jon is dead.  Viserion is named after Viserys so his rider is a bit harder to peg.  My current bet is on Jorah since he is one of the few important characters to actually interact with Viserys, but it could potentially be someone like Arianne who was betrothed to Viserys even if neither realized it.  Since Viserion seems the mildest of the three I don't think Targaryen blood will be a prerequisite for him, like it will be for the other two.

No one. Sick and tired of the whole infamous dragon riders theory that involved Jon and Tyrion riding a dragon that will essentially demote them to bad storytelling. And does it have to be Tyrion and Jon just cuz they have Targ blood? Why not Aegon or Euron? I prefer no one riding Dany's dragons except Dany herself, unless circumstance became problematic (like Euron with the dragonbinder).

3 hours ago, Maxxine said:

Oh good idea! Better than having a literal ice dragon exist and Jon riding on it. I can somehow see a potential prophecy or vision that will involve an ice dragon, whom that ice dragon is actually Jon metaphorically.

giphy.gif

Drogon is Dany's dragon. They're bonded together  (have been since before she ever even rode him), I don't understand why that's so hard to understand. :bang:

Jon is going to have to settle for one of the other two perfectly good dragons that don't already have riders. The idea that he will ride Drogon because he's black is ridiculous. I think it's more about people wanting him to have the biggest dragon. Why not Rhaegal,  who's named for his father? Makes much more sense to me than him riding a dragon named after Dany's husband. To whom he has no connection. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

giphy.gif

Drogon is Dany's dragon. They're bonded together  (have been since before she ever even rode him), I don't understand why that's so hard to understand. :bang:

Jon is going to have to settle for one of the other two perfectly good dragons that don't already have riders. The idea that he will ride Drogon because he's black is ridiculous. I think it's more about people wanting him to have the biggest dragon. Why not Rhaegal,  who's named for his father? Makes much more sense to me than him riding a dragon named after Dany's husband. To whom he has no connection. 

You cracked me up. I know you are totally invested in Daenerys, and I don't want to piss you off. (I get the same reaction from lemon cake fans.) I'm not a big Jon fan, but I think he's the principal protagonist in The George's story. I think Daenerys is a red herring for the smoked and salted prince that was promised, and I think the lemon tree that The George packed up and shipped from Tyrosh to Braavos with Daenerys's back story signal that her arc will end with bitterness and disappointment, perhaps even futility and death. However, I do prefer the hot chick on the dragon to the special snowflake. 

9 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Let's all remember too that if any of the dragonriders die and their dragon lives, we could have more than three dragonriders in the series. Example: Aegon rides Rhaegal...Aegon is killed...Jon rides Rhaegal.

While I don't disagree with that theory, I would be dissapointed if Aegon gets to ride a dragon. A character introduced in the 5th book, who barely has interacted with any of the major characters or has barely affected the course of events, all of a sudden becomes a dragon rider?

I always regarded Aegon to be a character, whose aim is to divert the attention of the westerosi from really important events. 

12 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Tyrion will design the saddles, whether he rides or not.  And do remember, the riders can take a passenger along on occasion, as Visenya did, so we may see some people riding along who are not dragonriders.

I've never thought about this but didn't Visenya take young Lord Arryn for a ride on Vhaegar? Interesting to think that others might be on dragonback even if they aren't the actual rider. 

1 minute ago, Danelle said:

While I don't disagree with that theory, I would be dissapointed if Aegon gets to ride a dragon. A character introduced in the 5th book, who barely has interacted with any of the major characters or has barely affected the course of events, all of a sudden becomes a dragon rider?

I always regarded Aegon to be a character, whose aim is to divert the attention of the westerosi from really important events. 

Aegon is the antagonist to Daenerys as the protagonist in the second of ASOIAF's three parts. 

1 minute ago, sarah.jenice said:

I've never thought about this but didn't Visenya take young Lord Arryn for a ride on Vhaegar? Interesting to think that others might be on dragonback even if they aren't the actual rider. 

I have a feeling Brown Ben will give Tyrion a ride. 

Archived