(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

It's back in a week, Here's a trailer. 

I recently rewatched season 3 on Amazon binge style and liked it a lot more the second time. Only problem I had was I kinda felt like Ninas story should have finished at the end of season two. Not sure where they will go with her character now. 

The last thread was archived for some reason. 

Looking forward to this, but haven't read anything about the upcoming season at all yet. I also liked s 3 better than 2, although I feel now may be a good time to binge watch all three in preparation. :) 

I've enjoyed all the seasons so far - I liked the melodrama in season 1 but also enjoyed seeing how effective the couple are when working together which was most of season 2. We got bits of it in season 3 but the KGB had found a wedge to place between them.

I usually wait and binge the whole thing but I'm very tempted to try weekly as it's a show I've been looking forward to.

2 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Damn. So, it all comes crumbling down,huh? Wonder if they're planning it to be the final season?

It won't let me watch the trailer but I guess it will be hard to do further seasons once their cover is blown. They either flee the country or are captured with the choice of torture or turning. I feel like the show could easily go another 2 seasons though without feeling tired. I've always liked them toying with us that Phillip might voluntarily turn. Although some of the shit they've put him through, it would only take something happening to his family and he'd flip and become a bond villain.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Well, this was less 4x01 and more 3x14 , but still pretty great. There's really no character more complex or interesting than Phillip Jennings on TV right now, and this was a great show case for Matthew Rhys and for Alison Wright as well.

I thought Martha came off very hammy in that opening scene.

7 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Well, this was less 4x01 and more 3x14 , but still pretty great. There's really no character more complex or interesting than Phillip Jennings on TV right now, and this was a great show case for Matthew Rhys and for Alison Wright as well.

Yup couldn't agree more about Phillip. Best lead character on TV at the moment imo. 

Solid start to the season. Ninas story still feels detached from the rest but it was interesting to hear she has a husband? (I know she told her cellmate that last season but I assumed she was lying).

They better not mess with Arkady :( 

20 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

How is this performance constantly overlooked by so many people is completely beyond me. Rhys is truly tour-de-force as Phillip and beside the technical side of this (have you heard his actual accent?), the depth and immersion he displays on TV is outstanding. There was always something alluring about TV antiheroes, but he is like in the league of its own, especially when it comes to his marriages. 

I do agree with the fact that this felt more like the continuation of the last season, but I feel like this series never actually had some distinguished lines between seasons, which is why so easy to binge it. I have to say that at some point, I'd like to see this all going south. And I think this season may be the one where everything implodes.

11 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Does anyone know what year it's supposed to be in the series?  I know Reagan's in power, but I'm not sure who's in charge over in Russia right now - Chernenko or Gorbachev.

1983 I thought. I thought the file Martha pulled was March 83...

And I'm glad they picked right up where things ended last season. They couldn't leap forward without really digging deep into Paige's knowledge...

5 hours ago, Risto said:

I have to say that at some point, I'd like to see this all going south. And I think this season may be the one where everything implodes.

Yeah, and Pastor Tim will probably have something to do with this. He will be killed over his knowledge, the question will be who does this, if it's one of the couple or the KGB.

4 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

1983 I thought. I thought the file Martha pulled was March 83...

And I'm glad they picked right up where things ended last season. They couldn't leap forward without really digging deep into Paige's knowledge...

Certainly, but the lines are a bit too blurry. I don't mind it, though, since the overall story gets more cohesion that way, I would think.

Oh, and yeah. it was March 1983.

8 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Yeah, and Pastor Tim will probably have something to do with this. He will be killed over his knowledge, the question will be who does this, if it's one of the couple or the KGB.

Perhaps... I get some strange vibe about him... Either he is KGB, or CIA, or just some creep. Either way, it will be interesting to see not just what damage he can cause, but how long will Paige have the trust of her parents before they realize what she has done. The entire kitchen talk between her and Elizabeth was like Paige using a page from their very own spy book.

Pastor Tim's potential status as some sort of agent is still in the air for me...but Elizabeth and Phillip learning about agents having been in country longer than they have been certainly helps muddy the waters...

16 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I can't wait to see Philip kill Stan.

But then how will Stan be Phillip's handler when Phil turns double agent?  :huh:

15 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Pastor Tim's potential status as some sort of agent is still in the air for me...

It's certainly an interesting angle.  A pastor would be a good cover for an operative that was looking to recruit sympathizers and/or vet potential assets.  And he does seem like more of a peace/love sort of preacher than a fire/brimstone sermonizer that i would expect to be more ideologically nationalistic.  Which plays into the peaceful hippy = pinko/commie trope from that era.  

Also, I just want to say how much I love this show.  And not just for the leg-warmer references.  I binged the first 3 seasons this summer and have been dying for season 4 to start.  It fills the hole that Rubicon left in my heart.

4 hours ago, The Mance said:

Also, I just want to say how much I love this show.  And not just for the leg-warmer references.  I binged the first 3 seasons this summer and have been dying for season 4 to start.  It fills the hole that Rubicon left in my heart.

You too, huh?  :)   Although, this show has Rubicon beat, IMO.  That first season where Philip and Elizabeth are kidnapping that guy (with the other operative who gets dropped at the hospital) to the sounds of "Tusk" HAD me.  :leer: 

But to be fair, it's had more of a chance to prove itself than Rubicon did.

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

But to be fair, it's had more of a chance to prove itself than Rubicon did.

Yeah, Rubicon was better on the technical side of espionage, but tAs has a better balance of intrigue and action. 

Archived