(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

42 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Yeah I agree this season is the worst so far.

Agree with whom exactly?

I haven't seen anyone here criticize this season, and I personally think it's going to be one of the best, if not the best.

1 hour ago, Commodore said:

having trouble getting past the notion that the KGB would have any concern for Martha's welfare

Liz and Philip have straight up murdered plenty of civilians

They were going to send Gregory to Moscow in S1, even though Philip wanted him dead. They might kill their assets if absolutely necessary but I doubt they'd do it as a matter of course. Even if you think they are totally callous (which they aren't) it's not practical. I think there's a good chance Tatiana is setting her up to be killed, but I don't think it's a certainty.

The Russians brought back lots of spies.  They were given apartments in Moscow and pensions, and after a few years the Russians would even allow the occasional Western nation reporter to visit and interview them.  But we only heard about famous spies, who knows if they brought back little fish like secretaries.  Mind you, she was a secretary for an FBI department head, so maybe a big enough fish.

This has definitely been a top notch season of tv.  So many of these episodes are sticking with me long after watching.  The writers did such a great job in the last three season creating this emotional connection between the audience and these characters.  It's almost crept up on me without even realizing.  I feel so moved by these stories. 

11 hours ago, Commodore said:

having trouble getting past the notion that the KGB would have any concern for Martha's welfare

Liz and Philip have straight up murdered plenty of civilians

Martha isn't some random civilian.  She's been an asset for years, even if she was willfully ignorant of it.  More than that, the FBI is now on to her and lots of brass will be going down for this, making it that more likely that the public gets wind of it. It's a useful tool for the Russians to be able to trot out their assets and show them living the good life in Moscow.  Helps with recruiting and retaining assets and is just generally good PR.  If Martha winds up dead, they've lost all that potential capital.  It's just good business to take care of assets.  

Beyond that, they also need to keep the Jenningses happy.  Those assets are an extremely important and expensive investment.  It's a small price to pay to get Martha out of the country and set up if it means keeping their top spies are happy.  

This thing with Tatiana not including Martha in the flight order could complicate things.  It really depends on why she did it.  If it's because she intends to have Martha disposed of, then it's another potential way that the motherland alienates the Jenningses.  She could be intending to use Martha as a bargaining tool to defect.  Either way, it's yet another way that Philip and Elizabeth's world could come crumbling down.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

They've done a disservice this season to the Paige reveal from last season. If this season was going to focus Martha they should have waited on Paige.

This season has multiple storylines.  I think the arc that focuses on Paige knowing the truth has been excellent so far, though it may be too subtle for certain people.  They've touched on Paige knowing in every episode, even if for only a few moments.  We're watching how this knowledge of who her parents are and what they do is affecting and changing her.  Certainly one must be wondering what Paige was thinking as she sat between Henry and Matthew.  Does she wish they knew?  Does she wish she could return to a time of ignorance?  The immediate crisis of learning the truth has passed and now she's settling into life knowing the truth.  That loss of innocence and ignorance changes a lot for her and it's clear there's going to be a reflection on this fairly soon.  

I think it's been a great season.  And let's not complain about things too much, this entire season has comprised about a month of real time maybe? Less?  The last couple of episodes focusing on Martha have taken about three days it seems...

Another top notch episode. This season is shaping up to the best one yet. Loved the "back in my day" bit with Gabriel and Claudia, their scenes together are always goldKerri Russell was amazing last night. Her outburst at Paige was up there with Phillips from season two, just tremendous. 

I noticed Mathew Rhys directed the ep, he did a pretty good job.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this is the best drama series this year by not even a close margin. It does such wonderful job in conveying their emotions without it being forced while juggling brilliantly between what is the family and spy drama. I know we shouldn't be caring about awards, but this really needs to get some recognition.

3 hours ago, The Monkey said:

Lovely series. My one true complaint is that the man playing Stan's boss is an extremely poor actor. The guy playing Stan isn't great either, but he makes an effort.

Huh? I find him really good. The only poor actor is Stan, IMHO.

There was something tremendously satisfying about seeing Elizabeth scold Paige like that. Definitely the best episode of this season it was practically flawless.

Btw am I the only one who got worried for a moment that this was the season finale?! it felt like one

3 hours ago, dooog said:

There was something tremendously satisfying about seeing Elizabeth scold Paige like that. Definitely the best episode of this season it was practically flawless.

Btw am I the only one who got worried for a moment that this was the season finale?! it felt like one

I thought it was the finale too.  And was really glad it wasn't! 

It felt like they were wrapping up everyone's storylines for the time being.  I half expected the Jenningses to be shown touring Epcot. 

I wonder about the timeline. I think after the 7 months, the series must be closing in on Yuri Andropov's death in early 1984. Then it's only about a year until Chernenko dies too and is succeeded by Gorbachov, for the beginning of the end of the USSR.

If I had to guess, I'd say the showrunners' vision for the rest of the series would be to bring the Jenningses to that point and have them adapt to the transition. Perhaps a couple more seasons would do it (so far we have confirmation for the 5th).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived