(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

6 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

The worst part about what happened to Oleg was that they made it seem like it was Stan's idea. The BASTARDS!

In fairness, they told Stan that was what they were going to do.  If the CIA had simply run their op and told Stan nothing it would have been the same, except Stan wouldn't be thinking about it and likely to get into trouble over it.

There was a pretty poignant scene where Philip asks why the USSR can't grow enough wheat to feed its people despite having so much land, the scene was bookended by silence.  So yeah, commodore is making shit up again.  

Also, Martha sighting!

42 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

There was a pretty poignant scene where Philip asks why the USSR can't grow enough wheat to feed its people despite having so much land, the scene was bookended by silence.  So yeah, commodore is making shit up again.  

Also, Martha sighting!

the writers crafted a plot where the United States is attempting to starve millions of people (it's possible Phil/Liz are mistaken about this, otherwise it's absurd)

1 minute ago, Commodore said:

the writers crafted a plot where the United States is attempting to starve millions of people (it's possible Stan/Liz are mistaken about this, otherwise it's absurd)

Except the entire plot also involves the fact that the USSR already can't feed their people.  There are two things here - a plot where a biological weapon is being created (nothing absurd about that, the US has a long and storied history with using such weapons of mass destruction) and another part where tons of time is being used to point out that the suspected victim country of this WMD would be a country that already can't feed itself.  

1 hour ago, Commodore said:

the writers crafted a plot where the United States is attempting to starve millions of people (it's possible Phil/Liz are mistaken about this, otherwise it's absurd)

In a world where the CIA were resorting to programs such as MK Ultra, as well as a host of other batshit schemes, you can bet your bollocks they were screwing with the Soviet food supply.

Still solid as ever.

Cowboy Phillip.

It also seems telling that Phillip and Elizabeth have specific memories about the Soviet Union. Phillip in particular with his childhood.  They've not been there for many years and can't know exactly what is going on, so their reactions to the defector they're working is interesting. 

On 3/22/2017 at 6:50 PM, Commodore said:

Of course they're mistaken, they are obviously testing pesticides.

Also I think deep in his heart Philip agrees with the guy they're working.  

Does anyone know what year they're in?... The Berlin Wall came down in '89, at which point their gigs would be kind of over...  I  was trying to estimate by the size of Paige's shoulder pads.... but alas, I get lost  somewhere between Sony Walkman's and Miami Vice

18 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Yeah. There was obviously a jump of a few months from the end of last season to now. 

I was briefly confused when watching the Olympics was mentioned and I thought it was still 83. Plus they were in winter gear.  Then I remembered that the Olympics winter and summer used to be in the same year back then...

Great ep. Mathew Rhys was as incredible as ever. When Elizabeth told him about what they were using the pests for he just looked broken. 

The Mishca scene with Gabriel pissed me off, Can't wait for Phillip to find out that they didnt even tell him his son came all the way to America to see him. Think that will finally break his loyalty. 

AMAZING... This show really shows no sign of weakening or slowing down when it comes to true personal drama intertwined with the problems of world politics.

What is the amazing thing about this show is how good they are in doing entire "antihero" storyarc with both Phillip and Elizabeth. This is not what some shows do with heroes doing not-so-questionable things and presenting them as quazi-antiheroes. With these two, it boils down to that grey area where you can't call them either good or evil. In one moment he is killing for his country and in the next, Phillip is broken by the mistake they made. They connect with their "missions" on such a deep level, but even though they create the semblance of profound relationship, when it has to be done, they pull the trigger or go ballistic on their targets.

One can hope that this is the year when Matthew Rhys is awarded for his absolutely masterful performance.

On 3/28/2017 at 10:55 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

One has to wonder whether they will dip a bit into the Orwellian 1984.

Also, seeing Martha in that grocery store was heartbreaking. A good spinoff can be made of her life in Moscow.

On 3/8/2017 at 0:32 AM, Martini Sigil said:

I wonder if --considering the timeline of this show-- whether it will end with the berlin wall coming down... it would add to the irony should they get caught or killed .... or even if they don't, and Elizabeth winds up having to remain in the great evil America

Unlikely, unless the last season does a time jump. It's 1984, and season 6 is supposed to be the last. But the next season should see Gorbachev become the General Secretary after Chernenko's death. 
The question is, will Philip and Elizabeth last until then? Philip seems at the point of breaking emotionally (though, to be fair, he was already there in season 2 after he had to murder some innocent people, and almost there in season 3 because of Kimmy). The two of them have both become more and more uncomfortable with the things they have to do in their line of work.

Is the show setting up some drama with Henry, the neglected child? They and the audience both have been focusing on Paige, what if Henry ends up doing something important?

2 hours ago, Risto said:

AMAZING... This show really shows no sign of weakening or slowing down when it comes to true personal drama intertwined with the problems of world politics.What is the amazing thing about this show is how good they are in doing entire "antihero" storyarc with both Phillip and Elizabeth. This is not what some shows do with heroes doing not-so-questionable things and presenting them as quazi-antiheroes. With these two, it boils down to that grey area where you can't call them either good or evil.

Which shows do you mean and what actions are you referring to?

One can hope that this is the year when Matthew Rhys is awarded for his absolutely masterful performance.

One can hope that and also that they will finally give The Americans an Emmy for Best Drama and Best Writing, which it had deserved for years. But they'll probably just suck up to HBO and GoT and shower it with more undeserved Emmys for terrible seasons and terrible writing. I can't even be excited about the shows I love getting recognition when Emmys are such a joke.

Archived