(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

13 hours ago, Ran said:

Because in every other episode of The Americans, they would have done what they always do: spend more time researching, breaking into the house if needs be, and looking for photo albums. 

Never thought about it while watching but yeah it is something they normally would have done. 

That was a rough watch, one of the most unsettling killings ever on the show. Elizabeth calling the woman a monster sheesh. 

19 hours ago, Triskan said:

I did think it was fascinating though to watch the progression where Elizabeth is pretty down to kill the whole way and Philip is having not just "do we know it's her" doubts but even "even if we know it's her does it matter?"  

And the killing was all the more brutal not just in seeing the life she had for herself at this point but also hearing the actual details of the killing back in the war (which I took the show to be implying to the viewer was to be believed but I don't know if y'all saw it that way too).

But then Philip was the first one to aim the gun at her. That was interesting. What does everyone think about that? What was going through both of their heads? And then Elizabeth looks at him, aims the gun and then shoots them both - the husband first. I'm not 100% sure how to interpret all of it.

On 5/14/2017 at 10:48 PM, Pliskin said:

Is he? I didn't know that and I don't think so. He's working for them and the Centre.

When I said "find Tuan", I meant when he disappeared to deal with his sick brother. One of their other assets found him (the lady who never speaks).

Tuan is not just working for them and the Centre. They are constantly referring to "his people".

On 19/05/2017 at 0:06 AM, Annara Snow said:

Tuan is not just working for them and the Centre. They are constantly referring to "his people".

I must have missed that then, thanks.

I never got the impression that they mentioned the Vietnamese intelligence, just Vietnam in general. But I may be biased in the sense that I would never have thought that there would be a Vietnamese intelligence operating in the US... It seems strange to me.

About the episode, the show certainly jumped the shark in that it's hard to reconcile the characters that we know and their actions. It was a memorable and powerful scene, but as often with these, it requires too much suspension of disbelief. The Philip and Elisabeth that I thought I knew would never do that. And by "that", I mean both trying to learn more without hiding their identity (where it becomes impossible to back down anyway even if she's innocent) and the outcome itself where they kill her and her husband despite her story.

Liz dropped a car on a civilian, so she had no qualms previously about straight up murdering people not in the game. And Phillip strangled a guy to death on a bus iirc. 

other than the occasional thousand-yard stare, there's no sense of remorse in their behavior to this point

Just got caught up on BCS, excellent. By the way the show is preceding, I think we might only have a season left after this one. I have no problem with the BB cameos. Jimmy utterly, viscously ruined Chuck and it was absolutely glorious. I can see the end of Jimmy and "sorry drawing a blanck, his partner and chick" is right there about to exolde. She was clearly taken aback about Jimmy's salesman advertisement. Its all gonna come to a head very, very soon.

12 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

It's been clear that Philip and Elizabeth's outlook as been changing over time so it's no surprise that they maybe, ya know, are questioning things and feeling less happy about their job.

They set up Philip as not being totally committed from the first episode, I still think he's going to flip by the end.

21 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

They set up Philip as not being totally committed from the first episode, I still think he's going to flip by the end.

I know. I was responding to commodore who was all "um, I'm so confused about why the jenningses are showing remorse because it's so strange that characters would evolve help me"

Just now, Dr. Pepper said:

I know. I was responding to commodore who was all "um, I'm so confused about why the jenningses are showing remorse because it's so strange that characters would evolve help me"

Sometimes I don't think some people actually watch the shows they comment on.

I'm now torn whether Oleg ends up dead or as a defector...

Mischa is back? What is Chekov up to with that gun that is just looking over in Moscow...?  Gotta be setting up for the final season, right?  

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I had a serious moment where I was sure Paige was going to hang herself.  I'm now wondering if that possibility is still on the table.  

I had that same thought, but I don't think its the direction she's going.  With tossing her cross necklace, and pursuing her physical training on her own it seems more like she's taking her personal physical and emotional security into her own hands.  I think Paige is really buying into the idealized narrative of what her parents are all about.   

Though, my other fear in that scene was that she was going to find a gun or something that shatters the sanitized version of what she's been told.  If that happens, and i think it will, then, ya, I don't know what to expect.

On 5/25/2017 at 10:55 PM, dooog said:

I'm pretty sure i'm not supposed to care more about Oleg than the central characters and plot, but I do. The latter has felt rather stale this season.

Oleg has had the more interesting story this season to me as well. That scene with him and his dad was the best of the episode imo. Dude who plays Oleg has a great presence about him. Really hope they don't kill him off. Hope he survives the fall of USSR and prospers.

Do yall think that is actually Phillips brother or some KGB plant? I was glad to see Mischa again. Him dropping off the show after he went to find Phillip in America and getting sent home was disappointing. 

So overall not the best season, The whole Tuan subplot didnt really land for me, but if they nail the final season I'm sure I will look at it more fondly no doubt. 

Stans gf has to be a spy right?

Marthas scene made me smile which is a nice change from saying 'poor Martha' eveytime I saw her. 

Missed Oleg. 

I think the "plot" of the season was just how spent Phillip is at this point. And Elizabeth too, to a lesser degree. Phillip is just worn completely thin. I felt terribly for him at the end of the episode last night. But overall, it was mostly a penultimate season. It's just set the stage for all the plot threads to come together next season.

Archived