(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

On 29.3.2018. at 5:40 AM, Mark Antony said:

Awesome to have it back. Thought it was a really good opening ep. Stakes have finally been raised. This season is gonna be so intense. 

Loved seeing Arkady. The whole plot line introduced by him with the divides in the Soviet Union and using Oleg to get to Phillip and then using Phillip to get information from (or even stop) Elizabeth was/is going to be stupidly entertaining. 

Elizabeth looks so worn out. Shouldn’t be surprised by how brutal she is and especially by what lengths she would go to protect Paige but her stabbing the navy dude still caught me off guard. 

Time jump worked for me though I do wonder how the Kimmy situation from last season played out. Her dad had just got promoted to head of Soviet division and that was what made them stay in America iirc. 

I wasn't surprised at all by her killing the naval dude.

Elizabeth looked shocked and frozen during the General's speech. It must be really confusing for her - it's the first time ever KGB has asked her to go against the leadership of the USSR. What is loyalty to her country and what is treason now? What's worse is that she can't even talk to Philip about it - she was told she mustn't. And she's already worn out - since she's been working without Philip as partner and emotional support, which was foreshadowed in the season 5 finale, when she told Tuan he would break if he doesn't find a partner.

The way she was constantly looking at and clutching that necklace with a suicide pill doesn't bode well.

This premiere had more tension in it than most of season 5.

15 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Man the premiere to the final season of what I consider one of prestige dramas of the last ten years and only two comments on it since it aired. Criminally under watched this show. 

I concur. I have watched the episode last night and it was truly superb. 

14 hours ago, Ran said:

Excellent opening, really covering an amazing amount of ground. It’s so tightly-written. Also, fantastic soundtrack as usual, from Crowded House to Fleetwood Mac.

I felt it was so "blink it and you'll miss something". The world is getting smaller and smaller and the time has come for it to collide. Also, yes, the soundtrack. I especially liked how "Don't Dream It's Over" sounded so eerie within the context of the show.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

This premiere had more tension in it than most of season 5.

I think the tension in Season 5 was mostly internalized and with less talented actors it would be such a flop. Luckily, Matthew Rhys and Keri Russel managed to keep it as tense as possible.

I especially like how divided they are now. I doubt anyone could have harmed them from outside, but them, separated... They are both in rough place now, especially Elizabeth. They should have listened to Ned Stark... "Lone Russian dies, but the union survives" :D 

6 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I wasn't surprised at all by her killing the naval dude.

Well as I said, I shouldn’t have been. There was really no other option once she approached him. 

How do you guys think Oleg will react once he finds out that Phillip is Stans neighbor/friend? 

20 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Man the premiere to the final season of what I consider one of prestige dramas of the last ten years and only two comments on it since it aired. Criminally under watched this show. 

We're watching. Some of us just have nothing to say and enjoy reading other people's analyses.

On 3/31/2018 at 3:01 AM, Risto said:

Also, yes, the soundtrack. I especially liked how "Don't Dream It's Over" sounded so eerie within the context of the show.

One gets the impression the showrunners have been waiting a few years to use that particular song...

Fantastic premiere...forget Ready Player One...this show reaches so many cultural touchstones, it rather striking.  I'm 98% certain my mother had that Tupperware set Elizabeth was carrying...

As to Phillip being selfish?  I think that's natural. He's gone from spy to yuppie.  The time jump worked well.

26 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

One gets the impression the showrunners have been waiting a few years to use that particular song...

The general impression is that they have been holding back the past two years. Fireworks can start now. I don't think they need to build the hype or anything, this will be as tense and dynamic as it gets. And if this gets satisfying end, it will go down as one of the great products of TV's Golden Age. And probably, as the most underappreciated one. 

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Fantastic premiere...forget Ready Player One...this show reaches so many cultural touchstones, it rather striking.  I'm 98% certain my mother had that Tupperware set Elizabeth was carrying...

Hell, I confirm that my mom still has a couple pieces of Tupperware just like that in her cabinet right now

This show has been so consistently great. I hope they go back and (briefly) revisit/resolve some of the ancillary characters that have been introduced like Kimmie, Tuan, the Mary Kay saleswoman, etc. 

As to Phillip being selfish?  I think that's natural. He's gone from spy to yuppie.  The time jump worked well.

I'm shocked it took so long for him to get out of the game. We saw from the first episode that his heart wasn't in it. The show isn't going to end well for any of them but it's going to be the worst for Elizabeth and Paige. I'm shocked they made her drink so much of the Kool-Aid.

13 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I'm shocked it took so long for him to get out of the game. We saw from the first episode that his heart wasn't in it. The show isn't going to end well for any of them but it's going to be the worst for Elizabeth and Paige. I'm shocked they made her drink so much of the Kool-Aid.

I wonder if Phillip even knows how much that Paige is involved?

51 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

I wonder if Phillip even knows how much that Paige is involved?

I was shocked to see she was in so deep and that she was willing to take everything Elizabeth told her at face value. I would think an independent thinker like her would believe something in the middle. I think back to his meeting with Arkady Ivanovich in the supermarket where he told him they better stay away from her.

24 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I was shocked to see she was in so deep and that she was willing to take everything Elizabeth told her at face value. I would think an independent thinker like her would believe something in the middle. I think back to his meeting with Arkady Ivanovich in the supermarket where he told him they better stay away from her.

I think, ultimately, its Paige who stops her mother...but if it's by turning her in, or by tripping up and making a mistake, I'm not certain...

12 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I think, ultimately, its Paige who stops her mother...but if it's by turning her in, or by tripping up and making a mistake, I'm not certain...

I can see it being a Godfather three ending and Paige getting shot with a bullet that was meant for someone else. But I'd be happy with her turning in Elizabeth. Or Elizabeth having to kill Paige to maintain her cover.

13 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I can see it being a Godfather three ending and Paige getting shot with a bullet that was meant for someone else. But I'd be happy with her turning in Elizabeth. Or Elizabeth having to kill Paige to maintain her cover.

Interesting, but I can't see Elizabeth killing Paige...I can see her needing to, but hesitating and that's when Phillip shoots her, particularly as he doesn't know she's hesitating...

3 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Interesting, but I can't see Elizabeth killing Paige...I can see her needing to, but hesitating and that's when Phillip shoots her, particularly as he doesn't know she's hesitating...

I hope it isn't so dark. 

I think the funny thing is going to be that the son winds up being the perfect spy just by being allowed to grow up normally. He's clearly shaping up to be an analyst/computer whizz. And he will probably wind up living with Stan if anything happens to his parents. Turning him might be trickier though.

25 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Killing Paige? No... But killing Phillip? That's another story... 

Don't Dream It's Over is 1986.  It would have been out of place before.

It is almost criminal that this show isn't a bigger deal.  The only cable show I'm sure I think was better is "Breaking Bad".  And even that not by much.

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Elizabeth would never kill Paige. She wouldn't even consider it. She's a total momma bear when it comes to her.

I could see Philip and Elizabeth being in a situation where they are in conflict, but neither of them would ever hurt Paige.

Hmm, Philip killing Elizabeth to protect Paige is something I hadn't considered but I like it.  I mean he never wanted her in that life anyway.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I hope it isn't so dark. 

I think the funny thing is going to be that the son winds up being the perfect spy just by being allowed to grow up normally. He's clearly shaping up to be an analyst/computer whizz. And he will probably wind up living with Stan if anything happens to his parents. Turning him might be trickier though.

The darker the better in my opinion. I actually hope Henry makes it out with a somewhat normal life, I like that as far we know he's been sheltered from the truth.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

Killing Paige? No... But killing Phillip? That's another story... 

Philip is my favorite character and I would hate to see him die.

Archived