(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

15 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Its painful to watch though,

It is, so very very painful. I always feel a bit drained emotionally after watching an episode. I don't think I'd be able to binge-watch this show. 

because you see these tiny hints that Elizabeth just might be more of a mind with Phillip than he realizes,

And even then she herself realises... The convo she had w/ Paige this last episode was one such. It's like she wants Paige to say, ' yeah, on second thought this life is not what I want'. But she never does, so internship it is. 

but then she allows conviction to take hold and you cannot help but dislike her because she'd rather be stubborn that wrong.

I don't think she's being stubborn. The feeling I get is that she is questioning the things she has to do more and more, even if not openly. And her refusal in accepting that her commitment to the cause may be a mistake is because it would mean her whole life and all the horrible things she's had to do were sort of a lie. 

4 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

As for not "liking" Elizabeth, I don't think they who've voiced this opinion are being quite fair.  It's almost as if because she "hurt" our favorite, Philip**, a male perspective of sticking with the bro is injecting itself into how she is perceived.

** - just as cold of a killer as she is, (but maybe tempered with some regret, which as someone pointed out up above, makes him rather worse than Elizabeth.

I don't think we dislike Elizabeth, I think it is a too strong word to describe the sentiment. And Phillip is not the argument in the said debate. As I said, he loves her. And I do believe at the end, she loves him. This is more about her "free fall" into the darkness, this killing spree that is just not ending, the detachment, everything around her these days is troublesome. 

Both of them have done things that are morally reprehensible, but, in this very instance, Elizabeth is the one who just seems lost. And she may end up being more of liability to SSSR than an asset. 

Lastly, I do resent the "male perspective of sticking with bro" argument. The arguments are not chauvinist, they just reflect how we see Elizabeth's actions in the past 7 episodes.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

It is, so very very painful. I always feel a bit drained emotionally after watching an episode. I don't think I'd be able to binge-watch this show. 

And even then she herself realises... The convo she had w/ Paige this last episode was one such. It's like she wants Paige to say, ' yeah, on second thought this life is not what I want'. But she never does, so internship it is. 

I don't think she's being stubborn. The feeling I get is that she is questioning the things she has to do more and more, even if not openly. And her refusal in accepting that her commitment to the cause may be a mistake is because it would mean her whole life and all the horrible things she's had to do were sort of a lie. 

Yes. When she was warning Paige and said "Your father made a mistake when he committed to this life", I thought, are you sure you're talking just about Philip, Elizabeth?

And I was just listening to a podcast about the latest episode, and they noticed that the thing she decided to draw, once she did it on her own will, was a window - something that can be seen as an escape, an out. among other things.

ETA: When I think about Elizabeth, I often think of Donal Noye's description of Stannis as iron: "hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He'll break before he bends."

5 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Yes. When she was warning Paige and said "Your father made a mistake when he committed to this life", I thought, are you sure you're talking just about Philip, Elizabeth?

Exactly!

5 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

And I was just listening to a podcast about the latest episode, and they noticed that the thing she decided to draw, once she did it on her own will, was a window - something that can be seen as an escape, an out. among other things.

Yes, I though both scenes where she starts to draw on her own were quite powerful.

The other thing that makes this show so good is the phenomenal performances by the whole cast. Seriously, all the actors are superb, and Margo Martindale is just always so awesome! Just love her so much... she is as wonderful as Claudia as she was as Mags Bennett in Justified. 

9 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I hope it doesn't wind up with Stan dead. I would love to see him become Henry's father after Philip goes down. He's been more of a father to Henry than Philip has anyway. I would like to see things end well for at least one person.

Oh me too! Poor Stan, he's gonna be so heartbroken. I think he sorta knows already, but is not ready to accept it yet. 

29 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Actually being dad might be the best for him. Oh yeah, he definitely started to piece it together.  

I actually think he does have all of the pieces. There's part of him that hasn't had everything click into final place and a part of him that doesn't want to accept what he already knows...

Also, Phillip dropped a message to Oleg prior to going to Chicago...what did he say???  

4 hours ago, Risto said:

Lastly, I do resent the "male perspective of sticking with bro" argument. The arguments are not chauvinist, they just reflect how we see Elizabeth's actions in the past 7 episodes.

TBH, I did not have you nor more recent posters in mind when I tossed that out.  I had just gotten finished rereading a slew of old posts from previous seasons and was struck by some of the comments that were made.  Unfortunately, my ire had bad timing.  The one who pissed me off doesn't even post here anymore.  Truly, the few who have been hanging out posting in this thread lately have very intriguing theories and motivational guesstimates, and I've enjoyed reading them, yours included.  I apologize for my trigger finger if anyone felt they were being characterized inappropriately.   

Now, for another question:  Does anyone recall what the exact words (or close) that were used when the Jennings were discussing their kids way back in S1, I think, and opinions were given as to how each child would fare if their parents were either incarcerated, killed, etc?   I've been wracking my brain trying to remember who they thought would handle such a situation the best and who would crumble.

Jax: Remind me how Philip dropped a message to Oleg. How was it done?

My dearest darling SO still has a habit of needing to talk to me during my FAVORITE TV SHOW EVER.  :P 

2 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Now, for another question:  Does anyone recall what the exact words (or close) that were used when the Jennings were discussing their kids way back in S1, I think, and opinions were given as to how each child would fare if their parents were either incarcerated, killed, etc?   I've been wracking my brain trying to remember who they thought would handle such a situation the best and who would crumble.

I don't remember the exact wording but it was in the second episode.

The episode truly highlighted how much Philip and Elizabeth will lose if they are ever caught. The scene where Elizabeth speculates that Henry would be OK if anything happened to them but that Paige would struggle was heartbreaking. They have so much love for their children. It makes it easier to root for characters who would be the enemy on any other TV show.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/02/the-americans-review-the-clock-episode-102.html

Edit: I had no idea that Russel and Rhys were married with a kid in real life until today. 

Stan and Phillip... it's like Hank and Walter all over again.  I'm guessing the end up this week's episode will be Stan's suspicions confirmed.

Interested to see if Stan's girlfriend ends up playing a role. If she is indeed an agent it's one of the few ways the Jennings could elude the FBI

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

I don't remember the exact wording but it was in the second episode.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/02/the-americans-review-the-clock-episode-102.html

Edit: I had no idea that Russel and Rhys were married with a kid in real life until today. 

I'm rewatching the show - I want to finish the rewatch before the finale - and I'm now halfway through season 2. So, I rewatched that episode very recently, something like last week. That conversation was very interesting - Elizabeth said "Henry will be all right" and she told Philip Henry was kind of like him, and she said she was worried about how Paige would take it - "She is brittle somehow". I think that's the word she used (though I'm not 100% sure).

That particularly struck me as interesting and revealing. Others have also observed, in later episodes, when we got flashbacks to their childhoods, that Elizabeth most fears being weak - and betraying her country, of course (which makes perfect sense knowing the story of her father), while Philip's biggest fears are about being violent and hurting people - as his traumatic childhood memory is killing one of his bullies (and now it's even worse that he knows his father was a guard in a prison camp).

I'm gonna make top 10 lists of best episodes and best use of songs in scenes when I finish. I have at least to finish the first 3 seasons, because U binge watched them some 3 years ago and had forgotten a lot of details - particularly those about individual operations. When the Colonel appeared in this season’s opener, I couldn't remember who he was. Now I saw that he was briefly in 2 episodes, but was kind of a big deal at the end of season 1. "Aunt Helen" was something else I had forgotten about. There were also surprising minor details that help appreciate the current season - like the fsct Stavos was at the travel agency from the beginning, or that Philip already enjoyed dancing (what's it called? Line dancing?) in the pilot. With some other things, I had forgotten that they happened so early - for instance, that Philip and Martha got married as early as season 1, that Paige is already snooping, or that Oleg appears from the start of season 2.

Matthew Rhys was so handsome - sure, he is older now, but I think it's mostly his current hairstyle that's not as flattering.

The latest episode I rewatched was the first one where Anton appears. The next one should be the one with the injured/captured Mossad agent. That one has always been one of my favourites.

6 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

TBH, I did not have you nor more recent posters in mind when I tossed that out.  I had just gotten finished rereading a slew of old posts from previous seasons and was struck by some of the comments that were made.  Unfortunately, my ire had bad timing.  The one who pissed me off doesn't even post here anymore.  Truly, the few who have been hanging out posting in this thread lately have very intriguing theories and motivational guesstimates, and I've enjoyed reading them, yours included.  I apologize for my trigger finger if anyone felt they were being characterized inappropriately.   

Oh, sorry for that... All is well now. Thanks for that. For me, up until Season 6, they were one unit. I rooted for them, found their love and connection absolutely amazing. For me, they are the unique pairing on TV. And probably one of those couples that make me believe in true love. The other Phillip and Elizabeth on "Crown" also do great things on that aspect. Which is why this season was so torturous for me to watch. Seeing them apart... It's not easy. 

7 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

My dearest darling SO still has a habit of needing to talk to me during my FAVORITE TV SHOW EVER.  :P 

He put it inside the window of an abandoned building while walking.

I watch "The Americans" and "Handmaid's Tale" alone. Better for everyone :D

12 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

5 hours ago, Risto said:

He put it inside the window of an abandoned building while walking.

Oleg also collected it and we start to see him begin to decode it...but then nothing. 

What did Phillip know to tell Oleg? That he had to go to Chicago to help extract another sleeper agent who was working the same secret project as Elizabeth...? Or did he add more? Because we did get that scene of him sitting down and thinking about what he was going to say...

Hmmm. . . interesting that the Chicago mission falls apart after Philip tells Oleg about it . . .

Matthew Rhys is one of those people whose faces light up when they smile and they suddenly become younger and more attractive.  (not so rare, actually.)  He hasn't had too much to smile about lately.  The last time he was happy was doing his line dances - speaking of which, yes, "line dancing" is the appropriate word.  It's funny that Country/Western dancing appropriated this old dance form.  I specifically remember it being practiced in the Detroit area during the Motown era.  I can attest that it's a lot of fun! (Never got into the C/W aspect of it, though.)

31 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Oleg also collected it and we start to see him begin to decode it...but then nothing. 

What did Phillip know to tell Oleg? That he had to go to Chicago to help extract another sleeper agent who was working the same secret project as Elizabeth...? Or did he add more? Because we did get that scene of him sitting down and thinking about what he was going to say...

He probably mentioned about Elizabeth going to help an agent in Chicago, but he didn't know he was going to Chicago at that point. He only decided to go help her after she called Henry and werided him out by actually seeming to care about his life. That was after Phillip left the note. 

It's unclear if he found anything in their spy-storage shed (that Stan and Aderholt are surely about to discover by looking for people who pay the rent in advance) that he might have mentioned to Oleg.  

7 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Hmmm. . . interesting that the Chicago mission falls apart after Philip tells Oleg about it . . .

I mean, not especially? We already knew the FBI was on "Harvest" so it's not like Oleg told them after receiving the message. Elizabeth knew the mission was likely to fail, even with Phillip's help it was super risky. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I mean, not especially? We already knew the FBI was on "Harvest" so it's not like Oleg told them after receiving the message. Elizabeth knew the mission was likely to fail, even with Phillip's help it was super risky. 

Besides, why would Oleg ever want the FBI to potentially capture one of the Directorate S agents? He, Arkady and that faction want to stop the anti-Gorbachev faction, but not the American government to find out about their actions - which could screw up the entire peace negotiation process.

Archived