(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 2:33 PM, MisterOJ said:

Damn. So, it all comes crumbling down,huh? Wonder if they're planning it to be the final season?

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 4:58 PM, red snow said:

I've enjoyed all the seasons so far - I liked the melodrama in season 1 but also enjoyed seeing how effective the couple are when working together which was most of season 2. We got bits of it in season 3 but the KGB had found a wedge to place between them.

I usually wait and binge the whole thing but I'm very tempted to try weekly as it's a show I've been looking forward to.

It won't let me watch the trailer but I guess it will be hard to do further seasons once their cover is blown. They either flee the country or are captured with the choice of torture or turning. I feel like the show could easily go another 2 seasons though without feeling tired. I've always liked them toying with us that Phillip might voluntarily turn. Although some of the shit they've put him through, it would only take something happening to his family and he'd flip and become a bond villain.

Just read an article about this episode, "Pastor Tim", in the New York Times.  According to the writer they interviewed, there will be at least one more season and maybe two.

This show is as slow a burn as ever but it does feel like an endgame is creeping up. Ninas storyline still seems like it's own different show but she pretty much committed suicide by smuggling out that letter, so I can't see her lasting too much longer. Then again I thought Martha was for sure gonna be toast last season and she's still kicking (really can't see her surviving this season though). 

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Just read an article about this episode, "Pastor Tim", in the New York Times.  According to the writer they interviewed, there will be at least one more season and maybe two.

Thanks for the tip about the article!  I searched for it and read it - and two more articles they had links to. Heh.   

4 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

This show is as slow a burn as ever but it does feel like an endgame is creeping up. Ninas storyline still seems like it's own different show but she pretty much committed suicide by smuggling out that letter, so I can't see her lasting too much longer. Then again I thought Martha was for sure gonna be toast last season and she's still kicking (really can't see her surviving this season though). 

I'm really conflicted about the endgame coming.  On one hand, I'm anxious to see how it all plays out; on the other, I will hate to see this wonderful series end.

Martha and her situation is a real conundrum.  It seems as though Philip really has developed feelings for her, which will make the inevitable end that much harder on him (not to mention her.)   It's clear, though, that his final allegiance lies with his family. 

I did get to see both episodes last night, as FX always repeats the episode from the previous week.

What struck me watching Phillip strangle the airport security person and killing his bullying schoolmate is that madness might be his end fate...

I wonder if the authorities tracked down Phillip the murderer and identified him as a good candidate for the secret service for that act.  If you look at old communist era statistics, people were under such a tight leash there was virtually no crime, especially murder.  It's one of the reasons Russians today moan the old days were better, and one of the reasons many Russians felt morally superior to Americans in that era.  Murders were usually simple - somebody got pie-eyed on vodka and killed a drinking companion.  For the most part, people didn't kill each other, they knew the state might do them in some way, better to be on the straight and narrow.  Once the power of the communists disappeared, Russians turned out to be just as crime ridden as everyone else in the world, and worse, because of bribery and corruption turning away officials from criminals.

So in episode 3 we discover that Pastor Tim has been a KGB asset all along? Either from his mouth or Gabriel's? I thought we were going to get it when Elizabeth sat with Gabriel but they stuck with her mom's death and the germ warfare handoff SNAFU.

"So, we're planning on killing this youth pastor our daughter outed us to, whaddaya think?"

"Hold that thought, Nadezhda. He's one of ours."

Guess that's not very dramatic. Hmmm.

People, come on, spoilers please... Yeah, we are on the 4th Season, but some of us didn't get the chance of seeing 3rd episode.

One of the things that I always loved in this is the fact it is also a good-old family TV show. And what is more Americana than TV family?  I loved the article @Fragile Bird posted as it truly discusses the beauty of it. So far, I have to say that the episode when Paige catches her parents in flagrante delicto (Season 2, episode 1, right?) was truly hilarious and awkward episode that wonderfully depicts that aspect of the show.

And I sincerely don't understand how Rhys' performance remains one of the most unappreciated performance on TV. This man is the King of layered characterization throughout 13 episodes of each season.

2 hours ago, Risto said:

People, come on, spoilers please... Yeah, we are on the 4th Season, but some of us didn't get the chance of seeing 3rd episode.

There hasn't been a third episode yet, m'dear.  I think he's just doing a bit of theorizing.  Though based on the promo, his theorizing doesn't make sense.  

Just for the fun of it, here are the titles of all the episodes.

1.     Glanders

2.     Pastor Tim

3.     Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow

4.     Chloramphenicol **

5.     Clark's Place

6.     The Rat

7.     Travel Agents

8.     The Magic of David Copperfield V:  The Statue of Liberty Disappears *

9.     The Day After

10.    Munchkins

11.    Dinner for Seven

12.    A Roy Rogers in Franconia

13.    Persona Non Grata

* The David Copperfield special about making the Statue of Liberty disappear aired on April 8th, 1983.  I think it was live.

** I had to look this up.  This was the first widely manufactured antibiotic, created in 1947, used now only when a safer antibiotic is not available or has become drug resistant, because of it's side effect of creating abnormal blood reactions.  Interestingly....used to treat chlamydia in koala bears.

44 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

There hasn't been a third episode yet, m'dear.  I think he's just doing a bit of theorizing.  Though based on the promo, his theorizing doesn't make sense.  

Well, I know that episode comes out in Thursday, but wasn't sure whether there was another way of obtaining it before Thursday. This is one of the show I truly want to know nothing about regarding future. I have "zero spoilers" policy for this show. And when we are on that, same went for DD :)

2 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Doesn't the third episode come on tomorrow night?

Yeah, but these days you can never be too sure :)

28 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

** I had to look this up.  This was the first widely manufactured antibiotic, created in 1947, used now only when a safer antibiotic is not available or has become drug resistant, because of it's side effect a creating abnormal blood reactions.  Interestingly....used to treat chlamydia in koala bears.

Have no idea about US, but here it is still used as an ointment against eye infections. It also can be found as eye drops, but they contain 1% chloramphenicol (for drops, I think it is 5%)

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Uh yeah, exactly, just speculating. I never watch the promos as a rule, so I'm not sure how long they'll take to resolve the Pastor Tim plotline.

Pretty sure it's not going to be "Ok Paige, I guess we'll have to go murder Pastor Tim as a family while the FBI agent next door babysits your brother."

35 minutes ago, Risto said:

Well, I know that episode comes out in Thursday, but wasn't sure whether there was another way of obtaining it before Thursday. This is one of the show I truly want to know nothing about regarding future. I have "zero spoilers" policy for this show. And when we are on that, same went for DD :)

Yeah, but these days you can never be too sure :)

Have no idea about US, but here it is still used as an ointment against eye infections. It also can be found as eye drops, but they contain 1% chloramphenicol (for drops, I think it is 5%)

It's on Wednesday night's.

I had totally missed that this show had come back, so I just binged the first three episodes. This is truly a fantastic show, extremely well-acted (apart from the guy who plays Stan), and with a writing that really allow the character drama room to breath and evolve naturally. I agree that Nina's story feels a bit detached, but I have that the writers will do something great of it.

Archived