(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

20 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'm thinking that Nina's execution is going to come back on the Ruskies.... Oleg defects because they're such heartless, emotionless, inflexible assholes and blows the whole "sleeper agent" thing up.... and the show ends as it should

Oleg knows the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side. After all, Stan and the FBI played a significant role in what happened to Nina. 

On 4/14/2016 at 6:58 PM, Risto said:

While, in-universe of the TV show this may be true, let we not pretend that Ruskie secret services are any worse than Yankee's. Or anyone else's, as for that matter. But, I do agree that this might push Jennings into a new direction. 

Even in-universe this is not the best example to use really. 

If the writers had given the crimes Nina committed  to a random bland character, and cut the empathy and respect Arkady and Oleg developed for her no one would be surprised at them getting the axe. 

How does everyone think this is going to possibly play out?  meaning Martha's desperate and sad plight.  Is the FBI going to get to her first or the KGB? 

There is no possible way this was ever going to end well, but we didn't expect that with this show.  And you could say the same thing about Philip and Elizabeth's situation too. 

I don't know how much longer this show's going to go on.  At this rate, they'll have things wrapped up by the end of the season.  :dunno: 

Agreed. Astounding episode! They fucking together was a tear wrenching moment. I applauded them for not showing his face in the mirror or something like that. No rubbing in. They just let the pictures and the people and their actions tell the story. Great tv moment. Heart clobbing so. Reminded me of The Spy who came in from the cold. All that betrayal!

^^ Agreed, best episode of the year, I last track of time completely, and when it ended, I was shouting a few curse words, wanting to see what could possibly happen now.

I always wonder if they are going to take this series by jumping ahead time wise inbetween seasons to the end of the Soviet Union in 89/90.  Or even with Gorby in charge and perestroika coming and likely softening KGB ops a little.

Such a great program, I can't wait for next week now.

This was one of those episodes where I immediately wanted to watch it again.  So so so very good.  The many looks of betrayal just killed me.  I think probably Elizabeth's reaction to finding out just how deep Philip is with Martha was by far the best.  I'm so eager for next week.  

Truly one of the best things they do in this show is use sex wisely.  Can anyone name a sex scene in any season that they thought was gratuitous?  I think in Episode 1 of Season 1 we were introduced to Elizabeth in the guise of a woman who has sex with a businessman in a hotel room and I wondered where the show was going, but where it went was back home with her to the basement where she hides her disguise and locks up valuables in the secret cubby hole.  And it set the tone of deception that has run throughout the series.

And, oy vey, deception after deception revealed last night!  Some people in this thread have complained about how long the Nina story line dragged and wondered about the Martha story line as well.  Surely this is going to be some kind of dramatic comparison of Nina and Martha.  The question is, where will it go?  Will we see the US system is just as ruthless as the Russian system, or will we see a better outcome for Martha?  Will we see how people used by both systems are abandoned in the end?  Will Martha turn herself in, or will she jump off a bridge?  Will Elizabeth and Phillip show up a moment later, and who will go after Martha?  Will Elizabeth tell Phillip she'll handle things and kill Martha?

So many possibilities, and I can honestly say I really don't know which way it will go.  I suspect, though, that it will end badly.

One of the better episodes of the season, looks clear to me that Martha is dead this year and I wouldn't be surprised if it's Phillip that has to pull the trigger.

Overall though, it pains me to say it as a big fan of this show, but this season has been a little underwhelming so far. Not bad, just a little... stale. The Nina arc was beating a dead horse, her demise almost felt like a mercy killing. Likewise with Martha, they could have wrapped her arc up last season, or early here, but have instead chosen to make it the main focus and to drag it out, presumably until quite late this season. It feels as though the show would benefit enormously with some fresh characters and new blood.

This was amazing... Absolutely amazing... 

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

So many possibilities, and I can honestly say I really don't know which way it will go.  I suspect, though, that it will end badly.

I am inclined to believe this is going to end badly too, it just remains to see how bad it will be. And bad in what way.

Also, why I am getting a strange vibe from Henry? He is on computer all the time, normal kid behavior, but it's like I am half-expecting from him to have something a la SpyKids moment... That would be perhaps cheap, but I feel as he is either neglected for far too long or there is something else going on there.

20 hours ago, Commodore said:

the KGB would certainly not have treated Martha that way in real life

the moment she was found out they would have killed her

Well, uh, no. They would have killed her in Homeland maybe. But not in real life.

And that's coming from CIA agents actually. Yes, among the many criticisms CIA people had towards Homeland is that "No, Russians don't kill their assets".

I don't think the Martha affair is going to get dragged on till the end of season. I think she's a dead woman, as would be the obvious outcome, but there's still some twist left before we get there, I think. During the episode, I thought her killing Gabriel could be that twist, but Philip took care of that by checking her purse.

I'm not sure....did I miss something?

Was the message to Moscow only about the dead rat, and nothing about Martha?  On one hand I can see the stirrings of a love interest between Tatiana and Oleg, I think Oleg admires her so far, but I don't trust Tatiana.  It would be damn sad if Martha never gets off to Moscow.

What a relief for Elizabeth....

And you have to feel for Agent Gaad.  After a long career in the FBI, he's going down down down.

I thought Elizabeth had stabbed Martha for a moment.  That must have been one hell of a punch to the kidneys.

ETA:  And I agree, Alison Wright was fabulous tonight, especially for that minute or so when she spotted agents (I guess she was on her way back to her apartment thinking she was fine) and stepped back off the sidewalk, and thought the man walking towards her was FBI.  Turning around and around stunned like a deer in headlights was poignant.

Archived