Anyone else still deliberating over watching Season 6?

Mr Smith

8 minutes ago, TheButcherCrow said:

Oh I'm definitely watching, never a question for me.  I love the show and I hate some of the stuff they have done.  I love the books and hate some of the stuff in them as well.  The fact is that GoT is still head and shoulders above most of the shite on TV and had it not overstepped the books and found itself writing it's own source material then it would comfortably sit after Firefly and before The X Files in my all-time top three.  That said, it is still in my top five and is by far the most ambitious thing anyone has ever tried to put on TV.

Totally agree with you. Maybe not about Xfiles.. but everything else..

3 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Totally agree with you. Maybe not about Xfiles.. but everything else..

X Files has a special place in my heart, it was my first fandom.  It has some epic flaws but it will always be the show that made me proud to be a nerd.

11 minutes ago, TheButcherCrow said:

Oh I'm definitely watching, never a question for me.  I love the show and I hate some of the stuff they have done.  I love the books and hate some of the stuff in them as well.  The fact is that GoT is still head and shoulders above most of the shite on TV and had it not overstepped the books and found itself writing it's own source material then it would comfortably sit after Firefly and before The X Files in my all-time top three.  That said, it is still in my top five and is by far the most ambitious thing anyone has ever tried to put on TV.

Same. I mean there are shows/films that has worse adaptation than GoT. I love the show as much as i love the book. If GoT weren't created, then i wouldn't stumble on the book ever.

13 minutes ago, aFeastForDragons said:

Not a chance I'm putting myself through more inconsistent plot hole filled glorified fan fiction again. S5 was a train wreck and painful to watch at times. I'll stick to Vikings and whatever better shows come out in the future. 

Hope you don't chance apon season 4 of Vikings then, you'll be finding plenty of poorly written, nonsensical plotholes, so many you'll be running back to GoT as fast as you can.

Nope, not going to search the internet for ways to view S6 half a year before it's aired on TV in my country. I didn't bother for S5 with that either beyond episode 4. And when it aired on TV last fall for me, I certainly did not bother to stay at home for it, but just recorded an episode digitally (and even forgot to prgoram a recording of one of the episodes), and refused to preserve it on my digibox for a rewatch, because it was unbearable to watch anyhow. Last DVD season I bought was S4, and have no intention of doing so anymore.

I'll just read synopsis, and check youtube for 2-3 min scenes that sound interesting to me: Bran's visions, Hound and Castle Black seem interesting, might try out Euron scenes, maybe Snowbowl and RR. And though Arya's my #1 favorite character, I don't intend to watch anything of it, unless by what I read one of the scenes can captures my interest enough. So, I intend to only just watch bits and pieces of S6 that I can easily watch on youtube. 

Only show season I'm hyped to watch integrally and record is Black Sails S3.

Nope. Not torn and not bothered about tv spoilers or water cooler talk. The show has diverged so much from the source material that they truly are two different stories. 

The more it moves away from the literary aspect, the more dude-bro it gets. 

And the trailer did nothing to convince me to watch. Jamie and Cersei are back in season 2  Tyrion and Varys are back in season 2. You could almost say Dany is also back in season 2 with her wandering around with a Dothraki khalisar... But no Drogon. Where is Drogon? He should be bonded to her now. I guess the Iron Islands stuff will be different than we have seen on screen? But does Theon make it back to them? I dunno. I feel like we are stuck in a plot loop. 

Oh, and my biggest disappointment we have seen so far is Bloodraven. Kindly Old Werthers Candy Granpa Bloodraven. 

I think season 6 is going to make me very happy, adding in most remaining elements and plots from the books.  Really, we will only be missing Stannis and Aegon.  (to lesser extent, The Vale as its own cast, and maybe LSH *fingers crossed*)  Everything else is in, in some form or fashion.  It's amazeballs.

It's funny.  Last year I was really angry with the show (particularly Sansa/Ramsay and Stannis/Shireen as well as no Pink Letter and LSH) and was debating not watching this year.  In truth a lot of things about the show have bothered me as unnecessary changes to the books.  Now that I've had some time off there is no question I will be watching the show...and I'm very excited for it.  

I'm glad the show has surpassed the books (although obviously I would have preferred it the other way around and for GRRM to finish beforehand) but now that the show has surpassed the books I think I will allow myself to enjoy the show more without constantly comparing it to the books and being disappointed by changes.  

3 hours ago, TheButcherCrow said:

I don't get this claim. I understand if you want to watch the show because of emotional attachment, but I do not, and cannot understand people who say the show is head and shoulders better than everything else on TV. We're in a golden age of TV right now, shows are better than they've ever been. House of Cards, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Orange is the New Black, The Walking Dead... all of those are blue chip shows by the estimation of anyone I've asked and most reviewers; I've only seen half of those myself, but each of them are surely at least as good as Game of Thrones. Indeed, the writing in Thrones makes me cringe sometimes; it can be as good as the best on this list or as bad as the worst soap operas. I can understand a nostalgic attachment to the show; I can't understand viewing it simply on the fallacious claim that it's better than everything else on TV. It's good, but it's hardly alone.

3 hours ago, aFeastForDragons said:

Not a chance I'm putting myself through more inconsistent plot hole filled glorified fan fiction again. S5 was a train wreck and painful to watch at times. I'll stick to Vikings and whatever better shows come out in the future. 

Amen. Can't stomach another year of Dumb and Dumber violating George's work. A cynicalcorporate orgy of whitewashing, sansa-agency screw ups, sexism, sexual-violence for shock value, and on and on.

38 minutes ago, Mr Smith said:

I don't get this claim. I understand if you want to watch the show because of emotional attachment, but I do not, and cannot understand people who say the show is head and shoulders better than everything else on TV. We're in a golden age of TV right now, shows are better than they've ever been. House of Cards, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Orange is the New Black, The Walking Dead... all of those are blue chip shows by the estimation of anyone I've asked and most reviewers; I've only seen half of those myself, but each of them are surely at least as good as Game of Thrones. Indeed, the writing in Thrones makes me cringe sometimes; it can be as good as the best on this list or as bad as the worst soap operas. I can understand a nostalgic attachment to the show; I can't understand viewing it simply on the fallacious claim that it's better than everything else on TV. It's good, but it's hardly alone.

Well, I share your puzzlement, only my puzzlement is how you can find HoC, Homeland, Mad Men, Orange is the New Black and Boardwalk Empire as consistently well written shows. All of them, while mostly good in quality, have had extremely patchy episodes and even seasons. I don't know how you can make the claim that TWD is a well written show, period. TWD is a show that occasionally has a well written moment.

Breaking Bad I'll give you, but that was one of the best shows ever made.

I guess the point is that people are hyperbolic. Every show has its moments of flawed writing, even acclaimed shows. I can point out dozens of ridiculous/nonsensical bits of writing for all the shows you named.

But there are tons of shows that hardly make a pretense at consistent and intelligent writing. The shows that you listed (with the exception of TWD) are a few. Game of Thrones is another. I guess it's a matter of personal preference how hard and how much you want to focus on one shows patchy writing while forgiving another show for the same. People make fun of Ramsay's 20 good men, but you could easily point out that Walter White's method of chemically decomposing bodies is equally unrealistic. And so on for the other shows.

7 minutes ago, Humble AK said:

Well, I share your puzzlement, only my puzzlement is how you can find HoC, Homeland, Mad Men, Orange is the New Black and Boardwalk Empire as consistently well written shows. All of them, while mostly good in quality, have had extremely patchy episodes and even seasons. I don't know how you can make the claim that TWD is a well written show, period. TWD is a show that occasionally has a well written moment.

Breaking Bad I'll give you, but that was one of the best shows ever made.

I guess the point is that people are hyperbolic. Every show has its moments of flawed writing, even acclaimed shows. I can point out dozens of ridiculous/nonsensical bits of writing for all the shows you named.

But there are tons of shows that hardly make a pretense at consistent and intelligent writing. The shows that you listed (with the exception of TWD) are a few. Game of Thrones is another. I guess it's a matter of personal preference how hard and how much you want to focus on one shows patchy writing while forgiving another show for the same. People make fun of Ramsay's 20 good men, but you could easily point out that Walter White's method of chemically decomposing bodies is equally unrealistic. And so on for the other shows.

Well the Walking Dead I actually haven't seen, I'm going on the recommendations others have given me. But I maintain my stance on the others. As you say, every show has bad parts (House of Cards for example had a poor overall season 3 but has produced arguably its best with the most recent season). I'm not saying any one of them in particular is especially better than Game of Thrones (some are, but that's beside the point). The point is that Thrones has a lot of company when it comes to it's quality, so the "there's nothing else as good on TV' argument doesn't really fly.

2 minutes ago, Mr Smith said:

Well the Walking Dead I actually haven't seen, I'm going on the recommendations others have given me. But I maintain my stance on the others. As you say, every show has bad parts (House of Cards for example had a poor overall season 3 but has produced arguably its best with the most recent season). I'm not saying any one of them in particular is especially better than Game of Thrones (some are, but that's beside the point). The point is that Thrones has a lot of company when it comes to it's quality, so the "there's nothing else as good on TV' argument doesn't really fly.

Yeah, I agree with this. Other quality shows to add to your list: Narcos, Peaky Blinders, The Knick, Black Sails, Justified, Rectified, The Americans, Hannibal, Shameless. All really good shows with some flawed writing.

I ll probably end up watching it, But I m not very excited about it.

I can already predict a lot of the plot points this season, For instance what is going to happen to olly? simple, one of the mutineers will kill him keeping all "the good guys" especially Jon Snow's hands clean. Cause D&D don't want viewers to have mixed feelings about the morality of fan favorite characters.

Anyone else still deliberating over watching Season 6?

I'm thinking of not watching Season 6. I did not watch Season 5 and I took many precautions so I wouldn't see anything that will let me know about Season 5, I did watch however on Youtube the Review of the last episode of season 5 done by Linda and Elio and I was extremely happy with my decision of not watching. I will wait until all seasons of Game of Thrones are done, I read somewhere that there will be two more seasons?, can't remember exactly. So I will wait until Game of Thrones is done with all the seasons and then just binge watch it. Obviously, I will read the books once they finally come out. I get more excited about the books than the show. :D

Originally I was going to wait for the next book, but I doubt it'll come out right before/during season six.... so, although I'm totally excited for the new season, I've also decided that it's wise to watch it in order to avoid potential spoilers.

I'll watch it.  I don't think we'll ever get an ending to the book series so I may as well invest myself into the TV show.  Plus the last two books have been bland (AFFC) and downright awful (ADWD) and the TV show is becoming a lot more concise at stripping away the pointless unnecessary bloat from the books.

Archived