Anyone else still deliberating over watching Season 6?

Mr Smith

I thought by the time the first trailer came out I'd have made a decision, but even after watching it I'm no closer to working out whether or not to give this one a miss. I was a pretty staunch defender of the show until the last few episodes in Season 5, which massively disappointed me both in terms of the quality of the storytelling and the management of particular changes, even the one's that needed to be made. Part of me wants to forgive them on the basis that last season's content was by far the most difficult to adapt, but in truth the worst parts were those that were invented entirely (Dorne, Tyrion meeting Dany, etc). I'm still a big fan of the show and will watch it eventually, but I'm still extremely torn over whether to wait for the book first. Best case scenario, the show returns to its best, and integrates Martin's big moments in with invented material effectively enough that I struggle to tell which is which. Worst case, the poor writing from last season continues, and the big moments feel jarring, unearned, and obvious spoilers for TWOW.

Anyone else still having this struggle? Would love to hear others' thoughts.

I will watch it, it's still going to be better than most shows. They have perfect talent, just no source material, but it's not like they are going to remake once they get the books.

Sadly, I think it's all around a clusterfuck. Show gets subpar (by its standards) because they don't have source material, books get spoiled, and tbh I don't buy when GRRM says that spoilers won't affect his writing. I bet it will, even if we and him won't know exactly how.

I will watch, the amount of book spoiling won't be that bad as the show is so different.
We won't get spoiled on Manderly and his Northern plot as he is not in the show, Stannis is dead and Sansa is in the North. This storyline is so different that it won't impact the books.
We won't get spoiled on Aegon and his invasion as he is not in the show.
Dany and her story will play out very differently. Selmy is dead, Varys and Tyrion are there now. The Ironborn aren't there. She will be taking over a large part of Aegon's story. So Dany's story will be a mix of book Dany and Aegon but with a show adaptation. If Dany sits the Iron Throne at the end of the show this could mean that Aegon sits it in the books as it's Varys' plot suceeding.
We won't get spoilt on The Vale story as it's very different or even abandoned. Sansa is in the North, LF seems to be going North.
We won't get spoilt on Dorne, there is no Arianne or Quentyn nor Darkstar. This storyline bears little resemblance to the books.
The Iron Islands storyline is again, very different.

King's Landing and Arya seem closer to the books and we may get some spoiling here but even here things are quite different.

Book spoiling is not really a reason to not watch the show. If you aren't enjoying show for what ever reason then don't watch. If you are enjoying the show (even if not as much as the books) then watch.

I am curious to see what they have planned for tvSansa (she is not bookSansa and has her own story now). Probably even more than bookSansa's story which hasn't yet hooked me. I'm hoping that in WoW The Vale story gets into gear.
I'm also looking forward to the Jon's story. I don't think it will spoil the books as things are so different on the show. The battle of six armies could be some exciting tv.

In contrast I wanted the book first and now I heavily want to watch the show, the trailer has made me extremely excited and really looking forward to it. I will read the book when it comes out and enjoy the greater depth at that point but I want to know what's coming far more than waiting.

Also I watched Season 5 again and it's better than I had thought first time around, I still rate it as the weakest of the seasons (the books were also the weakest of the published material) and there were certainly some low points (Dorne) but it's by no means bad.

I said half way through last season that I wasn't going to watch anymore. I watched the rest of like clockwork nevertheless.

I thought to myself that I wouldn't watch this season, and after the trailer, I know am going to watch it, because I'm like a beaten dog. The show got me hooked on the books, and now it's all I have. 

Also: I have no idea what's going to be a spoiler. Put yourself in this position: imagine AFFC/aDwD hadn't come out by Season 5. Less than half of what happens in that book happens in the show.

And yet I think I want to be spoiled. I want to know what's going to happen in the books.

This is such an abusive relationship.

Yep I'm really excited for the show. 

I still think the show and the book will basically reach the same plot points roughly, so it IS going to be spoiling the books, but there is a risk that Martin literally never finishes his books, dies and then the show is the only way of finding out how it was all going to end. 

Plus I simply really enjoy it, even the bad bits.

11 hours ago, Mr Smith said:

I thought by the time the first trailer came out I'd have made a decision, but even after watching it I'm no closer to working out whether or not to give this one a miss. I was a pretty staunch defender of the show until the last few episodes in Season 5, which massively disappointed me both in terms of the quality of the storytelling and the management of particular changes, even the one's that needed to be made. Part of me wants to forgive them on the basis that last season's content was by far the most difficult to adapt, but in truth the worst parts were those that were invented entirely (Dorne, Tyrion meeting Dany, etc). I'm still a big fan of the show and will watch it eventually, but I'm still extremely torn over whether to wait for the book first. Best case scenario, the show returns to its best, and integrates Martin's big moments in with invented material effectively enough that I struggle to tell which is which. Worst case, the poor writing from last season continues, and the big moments feel jarring, unearned, and obvious spoilers for TWOW.

Anyone else still having this struggle? Would love to hear others' thoughts.

You should watch.  Waiting for GRRM.....who knows how long you will wait.

I said to my housemates a few months back that i wasn't going to watch. Being 1 of 3 who made that choice, after seeing the trailer last night my buddy tells me he's going to be drunk for the premiere and going to tell me about it nonetheless. Seriously weighing pros and cons with this. It'll be hard to surf the net and not come across spoilers on it.

6 hours ago, JonSnowed said:

In contrast I wanted the book first and now I heavily want to watch the show, the trailer has made me extremely excited and really looking forward to it. I will read the book when it comes out and enjoy the greater depth at that point but I want to know what's coming far more than waiting.

Also I watched Season 5 again and it's better than I had thought first time around, I still rate it as the weakest of the seasons (the books were also the weakest of the published material) and there were certainly some low points (Dorne) but it's by no means bad.

I never doubted it at all. the only reason for me not to watch the show, would have been the book coming out around that time within about week after season 6 premiere, then I would have waited till book release and read it and then watched the show.

Now that book is not coming out anytime soon, I have no reasons for not watching the show. At this point, its my only hope of resolution of both book and show cliffhangers

I would have LOVED to read the book first and then watch this season but....

At this point, I am watching the show and just hoping that 1) Winds of Winter comes out eventually within next year or two and 2) the book actually feels like a penultimate book in the series with storylines merging and characters closing in with no crazy cliffhangers (aka Jon Snow is stabbed/killed) . And if this happens, I would be fine even if GRRM never finishes the last book.

If TWOW had somehow managed to be released just before this season I would have postponed my viewing until I'd finished the book. Very little has come close to that feeling reading the end of ASOS, the inability to put it down or think of anything else (shame the next two books couldnt come close to that). 

Not sure I could get that from a tv show

16 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

The preview for the "real" battle of ice looks so over the top stupid that I can't help but see

Yes because the total 4 seconds of footage we have of various people standing in a field is just foolish looking.

And yess! I really love the show and I'm looking forward to the season a ton. 

7 hours ago, Regular John Umber said:

I said half way through last season that I wasn't going to watch anymore. I watched the rest of like clockwork nevertheless.

I thought to myself that I wouldn't watch this season, and after the trailer, I know am going to watch it, because I'm like a beaten dog. The show got me hooked on the books, and now it's all I have. 

Also: I have no idea what's going to be a spoiler. Put yourself in this position: imagine AFFC/aDwD hadn't come out by Season 5. Less than half of what happens in that book happens in the show.

And yet I think I want to be spoiled. I want to know what's going to happen in the books.

This is such an abusive relationship.

I feel the exact same way. I didn't even watch season 5 when it came out because I was worried they were going to jump ahead with some characters (and they did), that I didn't even want to get spoiled to that amount. But after GRRM's really depressing end-of-year blog post, I realize that the book is not going to come out for a long time, maybe ever.

So with all that said, I've started watching season 5 in order to prepare for season 6. I don't like it because I think the show is such a mess. The writing has gotten so cheesy - "It's Jaime Fucking Lannister!" And I have not enjoyed any of the episodes of season 5 thus far.

But I digress. The realization over the past few months that TWOW will not be out for a long time broke the dilemma that had been brewing in my head for a year now. I don't want to be spoiled. But it's basically impossible not to be. Every website, radio and TV program will be talking about it, so that unless I crawl under a rock somewhere, I will hear about a spoiler. And for me, watching an increasingly bad visualization of that spoiler is still better than accidentally hearing about it by some knobs on the internet.

I'm pretty much where you're at.

Sheer curiosity and and the love I once had for the series will make me keep watching it. The show has completely jumped ship so it will be hard to tell what happens that will be a book spoiler and what won't. Basically everyone that died in season 5 is still alive in the books and I imagine that trend will continue.

The only way I'll stop watching it is if I reach a point where the show is no longer enjoyable for me but that probably won't happen for a while, if it ever does. I'm just extremely apprehensive about the rest of the series. If they can tap into even half of what they had going with the first four seasons, I'd be satisfied but nothing so far has made me believe we won't be getting season 5 pt.2 .

You know, the ones who weren't affect by this and criticisms of the book deviation are the show viewers and those who decided to read the book after the show is done were ultimately spared from the agony. A pretty cleaver decision if you ask me.

Oh I'm definitely watching, never a question for me.  I love the show and I hate some of the stuff they have done.  I love the books and hate some of the stuff in them as well.  The fact is that GoT is still head and shoulders above most of the shite on TV and had it not overstepped the books and found itself writing it's own source material then it would comfortably sit after Firefly and before The X Files in my all-time top three.  That said, it is still in my top five and is by far the most ambitious thing anyone has ever tried to put on TV.

Archived