Horn of joramun speculation

On 6/2/2016 at 7:12 AM, Lord Varys said:

The Horn of Joramun isn't a weapon designed to destroy the Wall. Waking the giants in the earth means to cause an earthquake. And an earthquake would, among other things, also bring down the Wall.

I agree. And I think the earthquakes are sometimes accompanied by volcanic eruptions (Valyria, Hardhome... Winterfell?) and tsunamis (the broken arm of Dorne and the neck). 

3 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I agree. And I think the earthquakes are sometimes accompanied by volcanic eruptions (Valyria, Hardhome... Winterfell?) and tsunamis (the broken arm of Dorne and the neck). 

Hm. I guess magical earthquakes and stuff will not necessarily behave in the same way as natural disasters. There are pretty obvious hints that the Doom is magical in origin and nature despite the fact that volcanoes are also (still) involved.

If the Horn of Winter just causes earthquakes it might only affect a certain region (say, as far as the sound of the horn is heard). By accident this could cause tsunamis, I guess.

16 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Hm. I guess magical earthquakes and stuff will not necessarily behave in the same way as natural disasters. There are pretty obvious hints that the Doom is magical in origin and nature despite the fact that volcanoes are also (still) involved.

If the Horn of Winter just causes earthquakes it might only affect a certain region (say, as far as the sound of the horn is heard). By accident this could cause tsunamis, I guess.

I didn't mean to suggest that the disasters necessarily behaved in a natural manner. If green little dudes with three fingers can cause an earthquake by tooting on a horn, I don't see why they can't cause a tsuna... er, "bring down the hammer of the waters" by tooting a different note, or banging a drum, or whatever else the magic little buggers do. 

7 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I didn't mean to suggest that the disasters necessarily behaved in a natural manner. If green little dudes with three fingers can cause an earthquake by tooting on a horn, I don't see why they can't cause a tsuna... er, "bring down the hammer of the waters" by tooting a different note, or banging a drum, or whatever else the magic little buggers do. 

True, but we should keep in mind that the Hammer of the Waters apparently only worked back when the Arm of Dorne was broken. When the Children tried separate the North from the South causing the Bite in the process they no longer had the power. Suggesting that their magic was no longer strong enough - or rather, that they lacked the resources to do the same trick they had done when they broke the Arm (i.e. they no longer had as many blood sacrifices left).

On the other hand, Westeros itself is much broader than the Arm so perhaps such an enterprise was always impossible to them.

But the important thing there is that the Neck clearly is a magical zone. It seems to be a humid and war climate zone in a region where no crocodile-like creatures or snakes should be living. I mean, it is pretty close to the North and its summer snows, so what's going on there?

Those hints that the Neck has an innate (magical?) warmth makes it very likely that it will become the major place in the North were people will gather when the Others have finally broken the Wall. And who knows how long it can resist the cold? Perhaps quite a long time, actually.

Archived