Martin Expecting to Finish by 2020

Yevah

Martin just released a post on his livejournal titled 'Season 6 Is Coming'. In the comments section someone asked "Hey George, I know WINDS wont come out before season 6, but is there a chance that A Dream of Spring willbeat the last season of the show? :)" George responded with "If the show runs ten season, maybe."

If the show would run ten seasons it would end in April/May of 2020 if it follows releasing a season each year. If Martin releases WINDS in late 2016 or early 2017, that means he is expecting around 3 years to finish the last novel. I am glad to see that he is giving himself a realistic expectation. Three years to wrap it all up sounds plausible with Martin's writing speed. I'm sure some of us were expecting 5 to 8 years for the last novel.Which may still be the case, but it appears Martin is hopeful for a shorter time span.

Martin also answered a comment about his next reading. He said his next one is in May at Baltimore, MD. So possibly a new chapter.

Here is the link to the post.http://grrm.livejournal.com/477725.html

8 minutes ago, Yevah said:

Martin just released a post on his livejournal titled 'Season 6 Is Coming'. In the comments section someone asked "Hey George, I know WINDS wont come out before season 6, but is there a chance that A Dream of Spring willbeat the last season of the show? :)" George responded with "If the show runs ten season, maybe."

I'm thinking that his remark was a sarcastic jokey comment. In other words HBO GoT is not going to last until 2020, and keep reading.

1 hour ago, Yevah said:

If the show would run ten seasons it would end in April/May of 2020 if it follows releasing a season each year. If Martin releases WINDS in late 2016 or early 2017, that means he is expecting around 3 years to finish the last novel. I am glad to see that he is giving himself a realistic expectation. Three years to wrap it all up sounds plausible with Martin's writing speed. I'm sure some of us were expecting 5 to 8 years for the last novel.Which may still be the case, but it appears Martin is hopeful for a shorter time span.

Martin also answered a comment about his next reading. He said his next one is in May at Baltimore, MD. So possibly a new chapter.

Since WoW won't be out until late 2016, and the book cycle is 5 or 6 years between, he won't be done until 2021 or 2022 at the earliest, assuming he is still alive 

The "maybe" was the important word. 2020 is a possibility. Not very likely IMO. 2022 Would be more likely. After the Meereen's knot, we were expecting the books would come faster. But it was not. Everything depends if after TWoW, he will be able to stay focused on ADoS. Or if he will travel a lot, enjoy his fame, and engage in plenty of new projects.

Probably never.

2 hours ago, Yevah said:

Wow awesome. Hope it's not the same reading (can't get over my stupidity last time...). Definitely be the one to counter the show. I will say it again, i want a Damphair chapter. And my god, he made a great job of making us urge for the least favorite POV character in the series.

34 minutes ago, Sir Dominus said:

The last book will be somewhat faster for him to write I believe. He knows the general idea of how the series will end and that'll help with the writing speed.

A lot of people believe lots of things. Most of them are wrong. Here we are, in the end of the third 5 year minimum cycle between,  and the book is nowhere in sight. If anything it will take longer now that he feels no pressure from the show 

1 hour ago, Sir Dominus said:

The last book will be somewhat faster for him to write I believe. He knows the general idea of how the series will end and that'll help with the writing speed.

Everyone said Winds would be faster than Feast and Dance....

51 minutes ago, MaybeINeverSawACamel said:

I'm just going to be naive and believe that he is accidentally writing the last two book concurrently. So TWOW gets released and bam! ADOS is released a year later! :D

This is not far-fetched. Feast and Dragons were originally one book before he split it.

2 hours ago, Dorian Martell said:

Since WoW won't be out until late 2016, and the book cycle is 5 or 6 years between, he won't be done until 2021 or 2022 at the earliest, assuming he is still alive 

The first three books came out within five years. He's clearly capable of writing quickly. Do I believe that the last book will be out 2020? Not necessarily, but it's hardly outside of the realm of possibility.

But I do need to ask, why would he not still be alive? He's not that old, and he's never had any health issues that I've heard of.

2 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

The "maybe" was the important word. 2020 is a possibility. Not very likely IMO. 2022 Would be more likely. After the Meereen's knot, we were expecting the books would come faster. But it was not. Everything depends if after TWoW, he will be able to stay focused on ADoS. Or if he will travel a lot, enjoy his fame, and engage in plenty of new projects.

hey let GRRM have some fun!:P

3 hours ago, Dorian Martell said:

You're discounting the very real possibility that he will speed up as he nears the end.  The body count alone should give us hope for this. I mean there's no way substantial loss of life isn't part of TWOW. And the fewer characters he has left--especially POV characters--the easier it will be to tie up the remaining loose ends.

42 minutes ago, cyberdirectorfreedom said:

The first three books came out within five years. He's clearly capable of writing quickly. Do I believe that the last book will be out 2020? Not necessarily, but it's hardly outside of the realm of possibility.

But I do need to ask, why would he not still be alive? He's not that old, and he's never had any health issues that I've heard of.

The first three books also started out being written as one book that had to be split into three because it got as big as Mag the Mighty. But I do agree that it wouldn't necessarily take five years between Winds and Dream.

Pay no attention to the doom and gloom crowd. Some people just enjoy the idea of the fandom writhing in agony if the series goes unfinished. 

4 hours ago, Sir Dominus said:

I kinda agree with the this. I actually liked AFFC & ADWD, it took a bit of time to get AFFC down the first time, but in subsequent re-reads and listens, they are both really packed with info. 

That said, I felt like these two books were the sluggish Wednesday, hump day editions in the series as a whole. I'm hoping now that the hump is over things will get rolling again and it won't take so long between books. 

1 hour ago, cyberdirectorfreedom said:

5 hours ago, cyberdirectorfreedom said:

But I do need to ask, why would he not still be alive? He's not that old, and he's never had any health issues that I've heard of.

The first three books mean nothing at this point. His cycle is 5 or 6 years between books. It will be 5 years in july, and he is nowhere near done. 
As for death, he is 67 years old. A lot of creative people I loved have died around 70 this year. Shit happens.  

5 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

You're discounting the very real possibility that he will speed up as he nears the end.  The body count alone should give us hope for this. I mean there's no way substantial loss of life isn't part of TWOW. And the fewer characters he has left--especially POV characters--the easier it will be to tie up the remaining loose ends.

I would hope he would have fewer loose ends at this point, but remember he killed a lot of people off in storm, and feast took 6 years to publish. The next book, which was supposed to be the other half of book 4 took 5 years. I fear he is actually slowing down. 

Archived