U.S. Elections. Excuse me, grownups are speaking.

Bonesy

For those of you actually interested in facts:

Dozens of people were arrested. Not 'zero' as mentioned by Stan. No one was arrested inside the rally, but outside? Quite a few. Also 30+ people were arrested in St. Louis at a similar rally.

The guy in North Carolina who was videoed as punching someone is also arrested and charged.

Trump's campaign manager is also having charges filed against him for grabbing a Breitbart reporter.

So much for Trump's claim that he'd never cede the microphone to BLM and would fight back. What a weakling.

8 minutes ago, Commodore said:

how Cruz handles protesters

vote accordingly

Not watching the video but I can't imagine a dumber standard on which to base my vote.  Well, maybe 'who would I drink a beer with' but only by a hair.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

I'm sorry, I realize that English isn't your first language. You might not be aware that the words liberal and fascist are antonyms, so the term is itself an oxymoron. I am not a liberal fascist any more than I am a land fish, but I'll be sure to let the liberal fascists know.

When I hear the term "liberal fascist" for some reason the first thing that pops into my head is some sort of gay fashion police force.  

1 hour ago, Stan the Man Baratheon said:

I can just imagine how pissed the protesters are going to be when Trump's poll numbers keep surging and he wins Illinois.

Which was, of course, the entire point of scheduling one of his extremely contentious rallies at a liberal college in Chicago.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

You might not be aware that the words liberal and fascist are antonyms, so the term is itself an oxymoron. I am not a liberal fascist any more than I am a land fish, but I'll be sure to let the liberal fascists know.

What a liberal fascist land fish might look like...

chickfishsmoking_zpsf2105f27.jpg

Know your enemy.

I watched the protests on TV this morning. My 7 year old daughter asked me 'What are they doing?'

I replied 'Donald Trump is a very very bad man and they do not want him to talk in their city'

She replied 'Same as Donald Duck!' and giggled. 

And I said 'Yes, he is a duck!'

34 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

What a liberal fascist land fish might look like...

chickfishsmoking_zpsf2105f27.jpg

Know your enemy.

Tonight, you've won the internet. 

So since Illinois is in play now, and there is no way on God's green earth that any of those Republican clowns will get my vote in November, meaning I'm ultimately indifferent to Hillary or Bernie,  do I declare to allow myself to vote for a Republican candidate to counter Trump or Cruz?

1 hour ago, Regent said:

Which was, of course, the entire point of scheduling one of his extremely contentious rallies at a liberal college in Chicago.

Absolutely it was a master stroke from Trump. Free publicity and the images of the night will strengthen the fervor amongst Trump supporters for him. This protest in Chicago basically solidified Trump's movement and validated the fears of the conservatives that liberals are indeed out for blood if you disagree with them.

7 minutes ago, Stan the Man Baratheon said:

Absolutely it was a master stroke from Trump. Free publicity and the images of the night will strengthen the fervor amongst Trump supporters for him. This protest in Chicago basically solidified Trump's movement and validated the fears of the conservatives that liberals are indeed out for blood if you disagree with them.

Same thing as protesters going to his rallies have been doing in the past weeks. Take a punch, bring down a demagogue.

Only Trump is doing it on a vastly larger and louder scale and will likely not only drown out the use of the tactic against himself, but be able to torch a bunch of morons who take the bait for victim blaming.

2 minutes ago, Regent said:

Same thing as protesters going to his rallies have been doing in the past weeks. Take a punch, bring down a demagogue.

Only Trump is doing it on a vastly larger and louder scale and will likely not only drown out the use of the tactic against himself, but be able to torch a bunch of morons who take the bait for victim blaming.

Ofcourse you call Trump voters morons, if there is one thing i have learned from liberal fascists is that they belittle anyone with a different opinion from theirs as stupid, misogynist, racist and with more tumblr salad words.

2 minutes ago, Stan the Man Baratheon said:

Ofcourse you call Trump voters morons, if there is one thing i have learned from liberal fascists is that they belittle anyone with a different opinion from theirs as stupid, misogynist, racist and with more tumblr salad words.

No, I called people who call Trump out for provoking a riot morons.

I mean, they're literally correct, but he and his internet entourage will crucify them for victim-blaming.  Trying to go to bat with the "Trump was asking for this!" message is a turrrrrrible idea.

bet some people will do it though.

21 minutes ago, Stan the Man Baratheon said:

He says, while calling those of a different opinion from him fascists. 

7 hours ago, mormont said:

But this just runs into the same problem, unless Sanders is also going to appoint judges that take the same view.

The basic problem is well stated: Sanders has to work within a system where not everyone agrees with him and will have to moderate his choices accordingly. He had to do it in the Senate. He'd have to do it as President.

The judicial system of the US is to some extent insulated from the influence of wealth. I believe that when given a clear case of fraud (such as the robo-signing), it is more likely than not that there would be convictions and they'd be upheld on appeal. However, even if most were not, it would at least give Wall Street notice that they may not be as far up above the law as they think. And the other two (war powers and the power to negotiate treaties) are not subject to this when the President is blocking something.

Indeed, didn't you actually argue that a Trump presidency wouldn't be so bad for exactly this same reason?

No. My argument was that the outrageous things Trump has said he would do are outright impossible, either because they directly contradict the Constitution, he will not be able to convince other governments to comply or he will not have the physical resources to do them. Sanders and Trump are actually not that different on the things that the President can actually do: I don't expect Trump to prosecute his Wall Street buddies, but his position on free trade is downright leftist.

1 hour ago, Stan the Man Baratheon said:

It would have worked better had he stayed, but yes, I'm pretty sure he did this on purpose and fully knowing there was a possibility of unrest. I don't know if that is such a good idea, but Trump has done things which looked foolish to me before and come out ahead so I'm going to wait and see.

Archived