Amazon to resurrect The Tick

Corvinus85

• 5 months later...
On 3/11/2016 at 1:58 PM, Corvinus said:

Well it looks like it will be a new series. Amazon has ordered a pilot.

I know I used to watch the cartoon, but I don't recall watching the live-action series, despite its good cast. Hopefully this will be good.

I think the cartoon was better, but the live action version was pretty damn hilarious. I'll have to check out this new episode.

He's also (the voice of) Darth Maul.

Oh, and he was beyond brilliant in Spaced. And Shaun of the Dead. He was even pretty good in Guardians of the Galaxy, which he was in for five minutes.

Watched the Pilot on Amazon.

As someone who was a big fan of the cartoon, I just can't understand what they think they are doing with this. Its far too dark and gritty to be even close to appropriate. As much as I like Peter Serafinowicz, he's utterly wrong for the part, outside of being able to do a decent voice. Hes a much better voice actor than actor. Physically he doesn't look or move right. Its a shame they couldn't get Nathan Fillon as he would have been perfect, Captain Hammer is the perfect audition.

I really wasn't very impressed by it at all, maybe the Arthur angle was different, but again, why turn it into a psychological study or anything deep at all, when the Tick should be over the top, camp and above all FUNNY. This wasn't even slightly humourous. I don't get what their angle was.

I thought they were massively taking the piss out of all the "gritty" superhero movies of the last few years. The whole thing felt like an extended middle finger to Zach Snyder.

20 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I really wasn't very impressed by it at all, maybe the Arthur angle was different, but again, why turn it into a psychological study or anything deep at all, when the Tick should be over the top, camp and above all FUNNY. This wasn't even slightly humourous. I don't get what their angle was.

I think Ben Edlund (the creator of the Tick) has been quoted before as saying that the over-arching concept for the character is that he is bat-shit insane, so I guess this is just a grittier version of that. I haven't seen the pilot yet, so I can't really comment on how dark it is. 

Just saw this and I'm really impressed by the show as a whole. I love the origin story for Arthur and how it sets up this series as more of his hero's journey, of which The Tick is an integral piece of. peaking of Big Blue. I'm not digging the costume so much. Casting, eh jury is still out on that one for me. He's got the ignorant bravado down though. The dialogue and pacing were spot on though.

Creator Ben Edlund did a great two part interview with Newsarama, which you can find here. I really like the sound of the direction he hopes to take the series if Amazon picks it up. Don't forget to write a positive review for it on Amazon so it gets picked up!

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

I thought they were massively taking the piss out of all the "gritty" superhero movies of the last few years. The whole thing felt like an extended middle finger to Zach Snyder.

I think he was going more for a "grounded" and modern superhero look as far as the aesthetics. Wally Pfister directed the pilot and he was the DP on all the Nolan Batman films as well as Inception. So that's why the pilot had such a gritty look to it.

I think he was going more for a "grounded" and modern superhero look as far as the aesthetics. Wally Pfister directed the pilot and he was the DP on all the Nolan Batman films as well as Inception. So that's why the pilot had such a gritty look to it.

I really didn't think it was grounded at all, especially not when the Tick turned up. The fight sequence (with the Tick pointing out he's not responsible for people killed by ricochets) was hilarious and not remotely realistic. It even had a guy hanging from a lamp post.

I'm trying to work out what a "gritty" version of Sewer Urchin would look like and can't quite picture it.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I really didn't think it was grounded at all, especially not when the Tick turned up. The fight sequence (with the Tick pointing out he's not responsible for people killed by ricochets) was hilarious and not remotely realistic. It even had a guy hanging from a lamp post.

That sequence was interestingly the one they released as a sort of trailer. But it didn't really sit with the rest of the show. There was some stuff that almost worked, I liked the Superian bit and the flashback to when his father died. 

But the rest of it felt like I was watching a Michael Mann movie!

On 8/19/2016 at 4:56 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I just realized the guy who's playing the Tick (Peter Serafinowicz) is the same guy who has been posting those Sassy Trump videos. Freaking hilarious...

This is absolutely amazing! 

Archived