Watch, Watched, Watching: The Theatrical Release

RedEyedGhost

1 hour ago, Fat Mac said:

I just finished The Mummy, since it was put on Netflix recently. As a kid I loved it, and I still think its a great adventure film. The CGI is shit, but that's to be expected. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and I wish there were more adventure movies like it.  

I love the first two Mummy films so much. SUCH good fun. Third was shit. Still...I've watched it a few time and enjoyed parts of it. But the first two are fucking brilliant adventure films. 

The Mummy used to be a staple of Saturday afternoons on ITV2, along with Peter Pan. Nostalgia...

Continuing The Americans(S1 E5 right now)  and rewatching (well I have it on as background noise if I'm studying) House, which I still love in all its absurdity.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The Mummy used to be a staple of Saturday afternoons on ITV2, along with Peter Pan. Nostalgia...

Continuing The Americans(S1 E5 right now)  and rewatching (well I have it on as background noise if I'm studying) House, which I still love in all its absurdity.

House is one of my all time fave!

In other news, HBO has already replaced Vinyl showrunner Terrence Winter. Just a really lackluster project all around.

4 hours ago, Fat Mac said:

I just finished The Mummy, since it was put on Netflix recently. As a kid I loved it, and I still think its a great adventure film. The CGI is shit, but that's to be expected. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and I wish there were more adventure movies like it.  

I agree.  Why can't we get even one a year in that vein to replace even just one of the too damn many superhero movies.

56 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I agree.  Why can't we get even one a year in that vein to replace even just one of the too damn many superhero movies.

Definitely. I can't think of a more "fun" genre than adventure. Even if movies like the Mummy, National Treasure or even Sahara aren't "great" movies, they are a blast to watch. I'd love to see more movies in that vein. 

I watched a new movie called The Invitation tonight. A highly rated thriller that was pretty damn good. A guy gets an invitation from his ex-wife who he hasn't seen in 2 years(and they've been through a tagedy )to attend a dinner and shit gets weird. Lots of tension.

14 hours ago, Astromech said:

The Wild Bunch is a masterpiece.

:cheers:

8 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

In other news, HBO has already replaced Vinyl showrunner Terrence Winter. Just a really lackluster project all around.

Yeah, I read that too. Any chance of my checking Vinyl has just dramatically decreased. HBO is really on a dry spell. When is the last time they had a succesful new show... Since GoT or something?

6 hours ago, Fat Mac said:

Definitely. I can't think of a more "fun" genre than adventure. Even if movies like the Mummy, National Treasure or even Sahara aren't "great" movies, they are a blast to watch. I'd love to see more movies in that vein. 

I like the Mummy a lot and I think the second one is sort of okay, but I really don't need more Sahara's or National Treasures :P 

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Glad you liked it. The Pacific is also pretty great, and is a nice companion piece to BoB. If you're interested in another similar show. It's a little different of a format though, as it also deals with the characters lives back home. I highly recommend it. 

Yeah, so I hear. Exploring the homefront sounds like an interesting aspect. I'll watch it one day.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

:cheers:

Yeah, I read that too. Any chance of my checking Vinyl has just dramatically decreased. HBO is really on a dry spell. When is the last time they had a succesful new show... Since GoT or something?

True Detective did pretty well (at least, the first season).

Agreed on thumbs ups for Wild Bunch and Band of Brothers and Agreed on thumbs down for Vinyl. I couldnt sit through a whole episode of Vinyl despite trying about 3 time. Huge dissapointment, about like watching paint dry, which considering the breadth of material and stories a show of that subject should be able to dramatize, is an amazing fumble.

5 hours ago, Astromech said:

Speaking of HBO, I've been waiting and waiting for more news on The Mighty Eight.

Me too, but I've heard they're kinda hateful. 

I've just finished The Office (US) for the first time. After years of refusing to watch it for some damn reason. 

Even though season 8 was kinda dull without Michael, I loved the entire show.

I'm starting in on The Returned right now. I wish the original show was on Netflix though. 

On 4/7/2016 at 0:39 PM, Veltigar said:

I watched Cabaret for the first time yesterday, on recommendation of David Selig. I thought it was really quite good. I watched musicals that are more serious in nature before (something like SNF), but I never saw one that leaves you as uneasy as this film. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it in the beginning, because Liza Minelli's character was a bit over-the-top for me, but it crept up on me.

It's really very engrossing, to see these people caught up in their own personal tragedies while at the same time, in the background you see the very disturbing rise of a certain anti-semetic movement. Everyone is so engrossed with their own life that they really don't acknowlegde the danger. It makes you wonder what would have happened if everyone had been paying attentions, perhaps disaster could have been avoided? Cabaret does paint a rather bleak picture of humanity in my kind.

I also really liked the songs and dance routines (always important in a musical). Pretty much all of them had this grotesque quality to them, it's hard to describe. I never had the impression that anyone had any fun in the cabaret, but yet I couldn't tear my eyes from the stage. There really was only one exception, a really hopeful song outside of the cabaret and well... you'd have to see the film to believe it, because the film finds a way to make that very omnious.

Performances were pretty great. I wasn't feeling Liza Minneli's performance at first, but I needed time to adjust to that character. York and the rest were perfectly adequate. And the guy playing the MC was marvellously creepy. His omnipresence really did a lot to cement this queasy atmosphere. I get why he won the academy award for best supporting actor.

I think you hit the nail on the head by describing the cabaret performances as grotesque - they are mesmerising but also horrifying to behold in some ways. It's all 'larger than life' OTT performances but within the context it just feels really weird. It's a very powerful film I think and one that stays with you.

Just finished the second episode of BBC's Undercover. I love it. That series just feels urgent, like it's important to watch it. Not just because of its entertainment value, but because it is Important Viewing (yes, with capital letters). 

Just now, Veltigar said:

Just finished the second episode of BBC's Undercover. I love it. That series just feels urgent, like it's important to watch it. Not just because of its entertainment value, but because it is Important Viewing (yes, with capital letters). 

I was debating whether to watch this when I was scrolling through iPlayer the other day. I'll give it a shot based on your recommendation :) 

Archived