Watch, Watched, Watching: The Theatrical Release

RedEyedGhost

Caught the U.S premiere of The Night Manager and the second episode of The Last Panthers. The Last Panthers is very well done and I will continue to praise it on these boards.

Watching the Night Manager as well. Thanks for pointing out the Last Panthers. It looks right my alley and I'll be checking it out.

I watched season 10 of Trailer Park Boys last night and this morning.  It wasn't bad, but the middle episodes really felt off because of the guest stars

The one I liked the most was Tom Arnold, especially his dressing like Ricky

:lol: 

Then I watched episode 3 of Unbreakable K.S. after having watched the first two the weekend it was released.  I'm starting to think that I really don't like this show.  Kimmy and Dong are the only characters that I enjoy.  I actively loathe everybody else.  So I just don't know if I can continue.

I finished season 3 of Banshee last Wednesday.  I think episode 3 might be my favorite of the series

that Burton/Nola fight was amazing

but then episode 6 was probably my least favorite

fuck Chayton for snapping Siobhan's neck, so I enjoyed watching him get half his face blown off.  And what's the deal with Burton?  Does he suffer from the same condition as Varys?

And, YAY, Silicon Valley is back! 

Gavin's "goodbye" speech was fucking hilarious.

Finished Season 1 of The Americans. Thought it was really good, loved the family dynamic between Phillip, Elizabeth and their kids, thought the characters were all well developed and complex. Planning to dive in to season 2 straight away.

eta my favourite scene was probably

Gregory's death

On April 21, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Astromech said:

Caught the U.S premiere of The Night Manager and the second episode of The Last Panthers. The Last Panthers is very well done and I will continue to praise it on these boards.

I finally watched the 1st episode of The Last Panthers and enjoyed it as well. I think I'm gonna wait for The Night Manager to finish so I can just binge it.

Finished my rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. I liked some parts less than the first time and other parts more, still one of my favorite shows.

Continuing the trend of shows named after spaceships, I've started watching Firefly, which so far is living up to the hype. It took me all of 10 minutes to start to love these characters.

Also still watching How to Get Away with Murder, which is enjoyable enough, and started the new seasons of GoT and Orphan Black. I watched the movie Shelter last night as well (the 2007 gay romance, not the 2014 drama) and thought it was good, well acted and interesting story.

27 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

GoT premiere was fire. Everything was on point from The Wall, the North, Dorne, Braavos, and Essos. Everything just clicked for me and that reveal at the end was amazing.

I viewed in a similar way, except the exact opposite of everything you said. 

I had a nice little party for the GoT opener. Several of us were book fans long before, etc etc, and several were TV fans of varying levels of knowledge. I definitely enjoyed the feeling of watching without knowing what was going to happen. I gave it a 7 in the review-it thread. A few nights later and a re-watch, and it's down to a 2. It's just a stupid, stupid show that happens to have characters that we all loved 15 years ago, with a bunch of top-notch effects and rockin' bewbs.

Currently enjoying the second series of Luther. Tough to root for the guy, but impossible not to. Great fun.

I saw Everybody Wants Some!! Richard Linklater's 'spiritual sequel' to Dazed and Confused last week. As you'd expect it's a lot of fun in a bit of a nostalgic way, although I'm not actually old enough to really be nostalgic for 1980. Also Zoey Deutch looks quite a lot like her mum (Lea Thompson) did in the 80's which did cause me to briefly think about whether it actually was a film from the 80's they were re-releasing.

I saw Green Room today, written and directed by the same guy who did Blue Ruin, and it delivered. A thriller that stars Patrick Stewart as a neo-Nazi leader that's not for the faint of heart. It has plenty of suspense and many brutal, bloody scenes but I enjoyed a lot. It wasn't as "deep" as Blue Ruin, or really meant to be, but Jeremy Saulnier is two for two with me and I really look forward to his future films.

On 4/27/2016 at 6:38 PM, Jack Bauer 24 said:

GoT premiere was fire. Everything was on point from The Wall, the North, Dorne, Braavos, and Essos. Everything just clicked for me and that reveal at the end was amazing.

You are probably the only one that I've seen so far in all of the internet that liked Dorne. Why, just why?

I watched "The Man Who Knew Infinity", since the film was mostly set in Cambridge some of it looked quite familiar. I thought Dev Patel and Jeremy Irons were both very good in it, and it did a better job than many films about geniuses of showing their work, even if I don't really understand most of the mathematics. The obvious comparison might be to The Theory Of Everything, another film about a Cambridge genius with severe health problems, I thought TMWKI did a better job of showing Ramanujan's work than TTOE did at explaining Hawking's work, although TTOE is probably better at exploring the characters surrounding the protagonist.

I sometimes think that I might be blessed with a gift only matched by it's meager nature.

I like to think that I can recognize and appreciate quality when it comes to entertainment, but also set aside such concerns and enjoy a lacking spectacle based upon the merits it may still present. As such, I cannot truthfully list to you every reason Citizen Kane is cinematic perfection, or explain why The Godfather is without flaw. But I appreciate their quality even though I cannot detail it.

Similarly, I lack the ability to 'turn off my brain' to enjoy the likes of Transformers, but will defend the HBO Game of Thrones because even though I find the quality abysmal in comparison, I have fun watching it.

This is a long-winded way of saying that I'm now watching Season 4 of Vikings and enjoying it :)

I found Peter Jackson's magnum opus, Meet the Feebles on youtube. So disturbingly entertaining. I would love to find a dvd copy of it, but it being on youtube will have to do for now.

April/May has been a wonderful period for TV shows for me.

The Americans, Season 2. Great show, and I hate Stan Beeman with a passion.

Orphan Black, Season 4. Very strong start to the season and improved on a lot of the flaws of season 3 already (though I did still really love season 3).

Penny Dreadful, Season 3. Wonderful premiere, superb acting. Patti LuPone :bowdown: 

Peaky Blinders, Season 3. Strong opening episode, well acted, great use of music, wonderfully brutal as ever. Also, my lungs hurt just watching all of that cigarette smoke :lol: 

I watched Happy Valley season 2 over the past two nights.  It was fantastic, as expected.  Sara Lancashire does such an amazing job, and Charlie Murphy is really easy on the eyes.

I also watched Capital the other day.  Depressing little story there.

Archived