Watch, Watched, Watching: The Theatrical Release

RedEyedGhost

17 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I think you're the first person here I've seen say that.

To be clear, I said that after like episode 2 and I was pretty thoroughly buzzed.

That said, I've finished the 10 episodes and while the quality is borderline abysmal, I'm still enjoying it. I may click away every time Aslaugh shows up or... actually, that's pretty much it but she takes up a strangely disproportionate amount of each episode, but in general I'm interested. Like I said in my last drunken post. I can set aside that it's kinda sucky now and hunt the good stuff like Ragnar tripping balls and going through withdrawl (been there, the show does not effectively convey how horrible it is).

6 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I watched Happy Valley season 2 over the past two nights.  It was fantastic, as expected.  Sara Lancashire does such an amazing job, and Charlie Murphy is really easy on the eyes.

I also watched Capital the other day.  Depressing little story there.

Capital the BBC 3-part miniseries? Or something else? (I'm guessing it's not too uncommon a name for a show/film). 

Also so meant to ask,is anyone planning to watch Billions? Saw it advertised on SkyAtlantic and thought it looked pretty good

21 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Capital the BBC 3-part miniseries? Or something else? (I'm guessing it's not too uncommon a name for a show/film). 

Also so meant to ask,is anyone planning to watch Billions? Saw it advertised on SkyAtlantic and thought it looked pretty good

I enjoyed Billions. I love anything Damian Lewis though.

I watched the first two episodes of this season of Vikings, and they were so awful that I decided to just record the rest and binge them... I still haven't mustered up the courage to do so.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yes the miniseries.  The characters were very well portrayed. 

I watched Billions, it was middling.  Lewis and Giamatti were good (as was Maggie Siff), but most of the way through I wanted both sides to go down in flames.

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I watched the first two episodes of this season of Vikings, and they were so awful that I decided to just record the rest and binge them... I still haven't mustered up the courage to do so.

Yes the miniseries.  The characters were very well portrayed. 

I watched Billions, it was middling.  Lewis and Giamatti were good (as was Maggie Siff), but most of the way through I wanted both sides to go down in flames.

Ah p, yes I was watching that when it aired (I think late last year) and I thought it very good. Agreed with you on the characters, very well portrayed. 

I might give it a watch when it starts here then. It starts next week I think here, and I'm up to give it a try.

Season 4 of Vikings was so bad, you made the right choice

Despite the best efforts of the TV schedulers and their apparent determination to never show it outside the US, I can now watch The Expanse thanks to Amazon.co.uk selling an all-regions Blu Ray of it.

I think it's a great adaptation from what I've watched so far, although it's been long enough since I read Leviathan Wakes that I'm a big vague on how accurate an adaptation it is.

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The Americans, Season 2. Great show, and I hate Stan Beeman with a passion.

I've just seen online that The Americans season 4 will air in the UK (on ITV Encore) from the 19th May, so you might be caught up just in time.

31 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Despite the best efforts of the TV schedulers and their apparent determination to never show it outside the US, I can now watch The Expanse thanks to Amazon.co.uk selling an all-regions Blu Ray of it.

I think it's a great adaptation from what I've watched so far, although it's been long enough since I read Leviathan Wakes that I'm a big vague on how accurate an adaptation it is.

I've just seen online that The Americans season 4 will air in the UK (on ITV Encore) from the 19th May, so you might be caught up just in time.

Sadly I won't. Amazon Prime only has Season one and two available to watch so I'll need to wait for season 3. Hopefully they do what they will release season 3 when season 4 has started in the UK and I can catchup to season 4 though

Finished season 1 of How To Get Away With Murder, which was good but not great. Also watching Orphan Black S4, which HAS been great, and American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson, which isn't exactly my thing but good enough to stick with.

On the movie front: watched the anime movie Garden of Words, which had a sub-par story but amazing animation and music, and rewatched The Force Awakens, which I still think is a success.

I was turned on to Wynonna Earp the other day, and have watched the first couple of episodes. The premise is that the heir of Wyatt Earp has the responsibility of putting down 77 people Wyatt Earp had killed who resurrected as demons. If the heir is killed before all 77 are put down again, they all resurrect again. A remarkably charismatic actress by the name of Melanie Scrofano plays the lead role.

It is pure cheese, but it a good way. It is very reminiscent of Buffy, except the humor seems a tad more adult. If you are looking for depth in plot, this might not be your cup of tea, but if you are looking for fun, mindless, demon slaying, with a touch of soap operaish types of relationships, this series has started out pretty good.

On April 28, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Leap said:

Well, I'm watching Fan4stic. 10 minutes in and so far it has managed to be both incredibly stupid and terribly acted (can mostly blame the kids for that second part though). I suppose I'm a little bias as I went in expecting it to suck, but even being charitable about dodgy science, it just doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Man, what a waste of some great talent.

EDIT 2: I'm gonna have to go watch the 2005 Fantastic Four just to reassure myself that this franchise can at least be done better than this. Is the CGI even better 10 years later? The writing is definitely worse. 

Some interesting things, conceptually, though...Doom starting as an anti-authoritarian quasi-activist was more nuanced than usual, without some specific backstory of seeing the government kill his parents or w/e, just a seemingly sincere distrust of the government and to a degree how that played into government control...and to their credit, they never quite picked sides on that as most films would. 

But really really awkwardly handled/scripted and acted, and never really fleshed out. 

3 minutes ago, Leap said:

That's fair. A friend told me recently that he suspected Trank had deliberately made the film terrible after he realised that the studio were going to basically make him do whatever they wanted with it. I think that's unlikely, but the question remains of what exactly went to so horribly wrong during the making of this film. 

Last night I watched The Prestige, which was pretty good...and after all these years, I feel like I should admit that it's better than the Illusionist (which was one of my favourite films when I was in my early teens, for some reason), another magician film released that year. Overall, very enjoyable - and it had David Bowie! So it was never really in any doubt.

You preferred 'The Illusionist'!?! Begone, creature!

2 hours ago, Leap said:

That's fair. A friend told me recently that he suspected Trank had deliberately made the film terrible after he realised that the studio were going to basically make him do whatever they wanted with it. I think that's unlikely, but the question remains of what exactly went to so horribly wrong during the making of this film. 

Last night I watched The Prestige, which was pretty good...and after all these years, I feel like I should admit that it's better than the Illusionist (which was one of my favourite films when I was in my early teens, for some reason), another magician film released that year. Overall, very enjoyable - and it had David Bowie! So it was never really in any doubt.

Depending on filming sequence, that might even make sense. The kids' scenes...I generally just try and get through them because child actors ~, but in spite of that I was slightly hopeful early on with the interesting choice to (I thought) make the Ben/Reed relationship the crux, but like with Doom's politics, they just went nowhere with it. At the time I suspected one of those films partly killed in the editing room because it jumped all over the place and had so many non-developed or unexplained developments...but tanking it part way in might also fit, like fuck it, put in a token effort and almost Smithee it. As you say, unlikely, but something certainly came unglued or never was.

@Ramsay Blow

Did you see they've made Animal Kingdom into a series on TNT? I remember I watched the movie (which was great) based on your recommendation. Just saw the preview for it before Civil War. Looks decent, but Idk how you could do it justice without being on one of the movie channels. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

@Ramsay Blow

Did you see they've made Animal Kingdom into a series on TNT? I remember I watched the movie (which was great) based on your recommendation. Just saw the preview for it before Civil War. Looks decent, but Idk how you could do it justice without being on one of the movie channels. 

Yeah man, I started seeing the commercials during NBA games. I hold the movie in such high regard that I don't think I'd be able to enjoy any of it. The movie had brilliant and chilling performances(Smurf and Pope can't be matched), a dark and foreboding atmosphere that added tons of tension, a great score and perfect character/family developement without showing us too much or really any of the actual crimes of this crime family. I assume the series is gonna show way too much violence without any real substance. Basically just a dumbed down, Americanized version. But who knows? 

I might tune in to the first episode just out of curiosity. If anything, maybe more people will watch the movie because of it?

7 minutes ago, Harakiri said:

Watching Kingdom of Heaven (The Director's cut). The studio really screwed up by having Scott cut 45 minutes of footage. By far one of his best movies.

Agreed. Bloom's still a bit donut hole, but everything else is much much better. The Sheen brother/Jaime characters actually have points, for example, as opposed to being cutouts.

8 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Agreed. Bloom's still a bit donut hole, but everything else is much much better. The Sheen brother/Jaime characters actually have points, for example, as opposed to being cutouts.

Yea, he could have been much better, but at least he was a bit more fleshed out than in the theatrical cut. I heard he was shooting the film while he was sick. IDK why the studio forced so much to be cut. The director was proven and long epics had done well at the box office and won awards in the previous years. 

3 minutes ago, Leap said:

Just watched In Bruges, which was both hilarious and depressing. Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell were excellent in it, and I was pleasantly surprised to see Ralph Feinnes. It was about as full of twists and turns as any film I've ever seen, all of which were some variation of exciting, amusing or profound. 

Anyway, can't believe it took me so long to get around to watching that. It's very gratifying to finally see the ''YOU'RE AN INANIMATE FACKING OBJECT!'' moment on screen.

I remember seeing that in theaters when it came out. I still watch it from time to time because it is hilarious like you said, but yea, it is depressing at times. The chemistry between Farrell and Gleeson was great. They had me laughing hard, especially Farrell. It was definitely one of Farrell's best movies.

31 minutes ago, Harakiri said:

I remember seeing that in theaters when it came out. I still watch it from time to time because it is hilarious like you said, but yea, it is depressing at times. The chemistry between Farrell and Gleeson was great. They had me laughing hard, especially Farrell. It was definitely one of Farrell's best movies.

Overweight Man: Been to the top of the tower?

Ray: Yeah... yeah, it's rubbish.

Overweight Man: It is? The guide book says it's a must see.

Ray: Well you lot ain't going up there.

Overweight Man: Pardon me? Why?

Ray: I mean, it's all winding stairs. I'm not being funny.

Overweight Man: What exactly are you trying to say?

Ray: What exactly am I trying to say? You's a bunch of fuckin' elephants.

[overweight man attempts to chase Ray around but quickly grows tired]

Ray: Come on, leave it fatty!

[the overweight women calm down the overweight man]

Overweight Woman #2: [to Ray] You know you're just the rudest man. The rudest man!

Ken: [coming back from the tower] What's all that about?

[Ray shrugs]

Ken: They're not going up there.

[to overweight family]

Ken: Hey, guys. I wouldn't go up there. It's really narrow.

Overweight Woman #2: Screw you, motherfucker!

Ken: [to Ray] What was that about?

Ray: [shrugs]

8 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Overweight Man: Been to the top of the tower?

Ray: Yeah... yeah, it's rubbish.

Overweight Man: It is? The guide book says it's a must see.

Ray: Well you lot ain't going up there.

Overweight Man: Pardon me? Why?

Ray: I mean, it's all winding stairs. I'm not being funny.

Overweight Man: What exactly are you trying to say?

Ray: What exactly am I trying to say? You's a bunch of fuckin' elephants.

[overweight man attempts to chase Ray around but quickly grows tired]

Ray: Come on, leave it fatty!

[the overweight women calm down the overweight man]

Overweight Woman #2: [to Ray] You know you're just the rudest man. The rudest man!

Ken: [coming back from the tower] What's all that about?

[Ray shrugs]

Ken: They're not going up there.

[to overweight family]

Ken: Hey, guys. I wouldn't go up there. It's really narrow.

Overweight Woman #2: Screw you, motherfucker!

Ken: [to Ray] What was that about?

Ray: [shrugs]

haha then you have them reference that later 

Ticket Seller: The tower is closed this evening.

Ken: No way, it's supposed to be open until seven.

Ticket Seller: The tower is usually open until seven, yesterday an American had a heart attack at the tower, today the tower is closed.

Harry: [Harry hands ticket seller 100 Euros] Here cranky, here's a hundred for you. Were only gonna be twenty minutes.

Ticket Seller: [crumples the money and throws it at Harry's head]

[tapping on Harry's forehead]

Ticket Seller: The tower... is closed... this evening! Understand? English man!

[Ken walks up the tower while Harry proceeds to beat the ticket seller]

one of my favorite bits of dialogue from the film had to be this though.

Ken: And at the same time, at the same time as trying to lead a good life, I have to reconcile that with the fact that with the fact that, yes, I have killed people. Not many people. And most of them were not very nice people. Apart from one person.

Ray: Who was that?

Ken: This bloke Danny Aliband's brother. He was just trying to protect his brother. Like you or I would. He was just a lollipop man. But he came at me with a bottle. What are you gonna do? I shot him down.

Ray: Hmm. In my book, though, someone comes at you with a bottle, I'm sorry, that is a deadly weapon, he's gotta take the consequences.

Ken: I know that in my heart, but I also know he was trying to protect his brother, you know?

Ray: I know, but a bottle, that can kill ya. That's a case of "It's you or him". If he'd come at you with his bare hands, that'd be different. That wouldn't have been fair.

Ken: But technically, someone's bare hands, they can kill you too. They can be deadly weapons too. What if he knew Karate, say?

Ray: You said he was a lollipop man.

Ken: He WAS a lollipopman.

Ray: What a lollipop man doing, knowing fucking Karate?

Ken: I'm just saying...

Ray: How old was he?

Ken: About fifty.

Ray: What's a fifty year old lollipop man doing, knowing fucking Karate? What was he, a Chinese lollipop man?

Ken: Course not.

Ray: Well then.

Archived