TTTNE 463 - A Thread for Craziness

RhaenysBee

Hi JQC! It has been a while, how are you?

Thank you Lany! The scan itself was no trouble. Now it will take a few days for the analysis.

As a suggestion to the court if the spoiler rule is staying, so that we can have a happy thread: For those of the spammers who wish to discuss the episodes of GoT (but don't want to go to the show forum madness) a multi PM could be created. 

That would possibly slow down the thread to herald speed though :P

FoMN, arguing over if you are in fact arguing... Seems familiar :lol: It's a trap!

4 hours ago, First of My Name said:

You are most definitely arguing against the policy. That's fine, it should be open to discussion, but you've been presenting reasons why it's flawed in several posts, so it's silly to say that you're not arguing against it. If you really didn't care you wouldn't have dedicated this many posts to the topic.
As I said, I PM'ed Pebble about changing it, not sure what the point is of continuing to call it stupid and silly after I've already given you what you were arguing for.

Arguing presupposes I'm trying to convince you. If I was arguing, I'd be intending for you to change your mind.

I'm not doing anything that productive, I'm just criticizing it and pointing out that it's stupid.

But now I'll let my previous comment represent my viewpoint and leave it at that, because your actions speak louder than my words. 

21 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

I'm not arguing, I just think it's arbitrary and a bit pathetic tbh. 

People just need to not quote posts with spoilers if they're not sure.

2 hours ago, Eyron said:

As a suggestion to the court if the spoiler rule is staying, so that we can have a happy thread: For those of the spammers who wish to discuss the episodes of GoT (but don't want to go to the show forum madness) a multi PM could be created. 

That would possibly slow down the thread to herald speed though :P

FoMN, arguing over if you are in fact arguing... Seems familiar :lol: It's a trap!

I hope you get a good result!

A PM group is a good idea, but the no-spoiler-tags rule will probably go in any case. I'm waiting for pebble's reply.

Shows that I really need something better to do with my time :P (Like studying...)

1 hour ago, ab aeterno said:

Arguing presupposes I'm trying to convince you. If I was arguing, I'd be intending for you to change your mind.

I'm not doing anything that productive, I'm just criticizing it and pointing out that it's stupid.

But now I'll let my previous comment represent my viewpoint and leave it at that, because your actions speak louder than my words. 

Arguing: to present reasons for or against a thing. It doesn't mecessarily mean that you want me to change my mind. But in any case the rules will most likely be changed, so there's nothing further to discuss

19 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Arguing: to present reasons for or against a thing. It doesn't mecessarily mean that you want me to change my mind. But in any case the rules will most likely be changed, so there's nothing further to discuss

That's a rather base definition, and I wouldn't advocate its use. A fuller definition would extend that sentence. Otherwise any criticism or statement of advantages/disadvantages would automatically be an argument, a state of affairs which would diminish both arguments and criticisms. 

42 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

That's a rather base definition, and I wouldn't advocate its use. A fuller definition would extend that sentence. Otherwise any criticism or statement of advantages/disadvantages would automatically be an argument, a state of affairs which would diminish both arguments and criticisms. 

Well of course a fuller definition would extend the sentence, but that wouldn't necessarily make it a better definition. Why shouldn't any criticism or statement of advantages or disadvantages be called an argument? It'd only be logical.

4 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Well of course a fuller definition would extend the sentence, but that wouldn't necessarily make it a better definition. Why shouldn't any criticism or statement of advantages or disadvantages be called an argument? It'd only be logical.

Because the word "argument" has stronger connotations than "statement of advantages or disadvantages," it implies forcefulness and or intent. A statement is only intended to lay out facts, an argument is intended to convince or persuade. 

16 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

Because the word "argument" has stronger connotations than "statement of advantages or disadvantages," it implies forcefulness and or intent. A statement is only intended to lay out facts, an argument is intended to convince or persuade. 

Maybe, but a connotation isn't the same as an actual meaning. And for all practical purposes the two definitions you gave are not that far off when seen in the context of a discussion. Something like 'the sky is blue' is a statement and not an argument, but something like this

21 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

since you've been complaining about there not being enough people posting in this thread for weeks, you might consider that suppressing what people post in it is probably not going to encourage more people to post.

is defintely both.

But we're getting a little sidetracked here :P 

1 minute ago, First of My Name said:

Maybe, but a connotation isn't the same as an actual meaning. And for all practical purposes the two definitions you gave are not that far off when seen in the context of a discussion. Something like 'the sky is blue' is a statement and not an argument, but something like this

is defintely both.

But we're getting a little sidetracked here :P 

There are no definite meanings in language, and without taking into account connotations and implications we lose the nuance of language. 

12 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

There are no definite meanings in language, and without taking into account connotations and implications we lose the nuance of language. 

True. But the reason we got into this discussion is that I felt your posts came across as arguments and you said they weren't. Even by the definition you just gave, the post I quoted is an argument. Hence my reaction.

:rolleyes: The most interesting discussion we have ever had in here, surely.

;)

Now here is a topic: why does not the friend write anything to me? It has been ... two days since last communication! *impatient Buck* :tantrum:

16 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

True. But the reason we got into this discussion is that I felt your posts came across as arguments and you said they weren't. Even by the definition you just gave, the post I quoted is an argument. Hence my reaction.

Even that one wasn't an argument. I merely stated that you might want to consider the consequences of your actions. It was a suggestion, not an argument. 

On 3/11/2016 at 7:30 PM, BB-Rhae said:

Happy New Thread, Everybody! 

Can you imagine that we finished up the last one in over SIX WEEKS? So, in hope of jazzing up the spam, let's dedicate this thread to craziness.

I ask you to share:

1. The craziest thing you have ever done.

2. The craziest thing you have seen on the internet.

3. The craziest business success you have ever heard of.

4. The craziest corgi gif you can find.

And also anything and everything crazy you want us to see and read, it's 2016, the world is crazy, it shouldn't be too hard to find something. 

Lots of love, keep calm and go crazy. 

1.  NHAW - The Woods.

2. NHAW

3. Donald Trump.   (How can you go bankrupt 4 times and still come back + everything else)

4.  ok its not a Corgi  but    https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr03/2012/12/17/13/anigif_enhanced-buzz-26482-1355767920-24.gif?no-auto.. 

Hi thread, Hi spammers,  sorry for being absent, life is just keeping me occupied and its very busy here are work even on night shift.  I've only had time to read the first page of this thread.  :hangs head:

I do hope you are all well, much love and hugs to you all.   Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.  I feel like I have been neglecting my queenly duties, perhaps It was unwise of me to have run for the position.  I will try to do better.

ok,  I've just read there is unhappiness with our proposed spoiler policy.

maybe we are being too harsh,  We are just trying to er on the cautious side.  I propose the following

1.  We will fully abide by any rules Ran or the Mods post about the subject. This part is non-negotiable  - I don't think that's happened yet.

Until 1. happens,  or where there is some leeway

2.  All Season 6 posts must be spoiler tagged and clearly marked as Season 6 Thrones spoilers.  This includes general feelings about episodes and events.  - please pay it safe.

3.  in depth episode discussion should be discouraged thread (to prevent accidents and slips).  Go to the show forums or use a group PM.  - I think its a great idea to set one up in advance.  I think someone who is active and responsible (this person is able to ban people from the thread so they can't be re-added) should take the lead on this and create one.   All members can add new people so if you want in on that group PM then you need to post clearly saying so.   - You can set the notifications on that so you stop receiving any when someone posts there without effecting your normal PM notifications.

4. discussion of previous seasons should be kept to a minimum.   specific Changes from the books (or stuff thats not yet happened) must be spoiler tagged and marked.  Stuff that directly relates season 6 episodes also need to be in spoilers

Hows that?

Anyway,

Some idiot in HR is actually proposing 'Take your parents to Work !' Day. Seriously. 

"And this is where I waste time on the net while at work......"

"......And these are the NSFW links I click accidentally while my boss is watching. "

Archived