Eurovision 2016: The pink underoos of the Motherland

Mladen

Apparently there was some fighting at the press conference, with Azerbaijan and Armenia in some sort of flag waving controversy after one of the countries used a flag (Nagorno-Karabach) banned by the EBU. Drama!!

SERGEI!!! also got put on the spot about gay rights, and he at least seems like Russia's official policies don't sit 100% well with him, but he still got boo-ed. I'm more amazed that anyone could think the dude isn't flirting with the gay community when he puts out videos like this (and this is for @mashiara :P ) PINK LEATHER UNDERPANTS!!

The only disappointment is that he has ditched the pink underpants for Eurovision. Why SERGEI why?

On March 14, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Veltigar said:

Man I wonder what kind of act the Faroe Islands would sent to something like this? A band with a sheep as the lead singer and a background chorus of brutally slaughtered pilot whales?

By the way do you happen to know the exact date of the finale? I can't say that I'll bother to watch the semi-finales, but last year my friends and I had a pretty good time watching the finale, so I'd like to repeat that experience :) 

Aura Dione could rep the Faroe Islands quite well considering her Faroese roots.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Aura Dione could rep the Faroe Islands quite well considering her Faroese roots.

That's actually not bad at all :) Add some brutally slaughtered pilot whales and we have a future winner :P 

I think Iceland was the only one getting robbed in the first semi. I thought the audience reaction (and yes, it was one of my top 3 personal best that evening) corresponded to likes from the countries, but that was not enough here.

I very much enjoyed San Marino too, but never expected it to go through.

11 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

SERGEI!!! also got put on the spot about gay rights, and he at least seems like Russia's official policies don't sit 100% well with him, but he still got boo-ed. I'm more amazed that anyone could think the dude isn't flirting with the gay community when he puts out videos like this (and this is for @mashiara :P ) PINK LEATHER UNDERPANTS!!

The only disappointment is that he has ditched the pink underpants for Eurovision. Why SERGEI why?

Seriously, this video was the best thing I watched all of last evening, I'm so grateful you linked it in chat. Cheered me up for sure, and I watched it again today just to get my daily fix. :P I do appreciate it a lot more than Sergei's Eurovision performance.

I was really unimpressed with yesterday's semi final. nothing really stood out that much to me, but I really enjoyed Serhat and I had hoped he'd make it through. I'm just relieved that the Greek song tanked and I never ever have to hear it again.

I said it to dalThor last night, I don't like how Eurovision performances in the last couple of years seem to rely more and more on visual effects and technology. Sure, it's impressive, but I remember fondly the time when it was all about the costumes and the choreography, and less about the lighting and the computer effects. Call me old fashioned...

35 minutes ago, mashiara said:

I said it to dalThor last night, I don't like how Eurovision performances in the last couple of years seem to rely more and more on visual effects and technology. Sure, it's impressive, but I remember fondly the time when it was all about the costumes and the choreography, and less about the lighting and the computer effects. Call me old fashioned...

I agree. It felt like too much lights and stuff, which was just distracting.

Makes you wonder if France and Sweden who are basically doing completely stripped down scene shows are on to something. It will certainly stand out to be without 4000 Watts of LED lighting, to be sure.  Some of the performances made me think that every fuse in Stockholm might just blow.

Completely missed the first semi! Assumed they were wednesday/thursday, not tuesday/thursday. Will have to remember it tomorrow.

Just watched Russia though, and while the wall was good I'd still take Sakis' stapler over it anytime!

13 hours ago, squiddly said:

Completely missed the first semi! Assumed they were wednesday/thursday, not tuesday/thursday. Will have to remember it tomorrow.

Just watched Russia though, and while the wall was good I'd still take Sakis' stapler over it anytime!

Nothing beats Sakis' stapler tbh, even if SERGEI!!! was good. It made me nervous tho with all the climbing.

I missed the first semi (just got back from Stockholm, and had the choice between newly released Stellaris and Eurovision... I picked the former)

So who's on tonight? 

9 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Nothing beats Sakis' stapler tbh, even if SERGEI!!! was good. It made me nervous tho with all the climbing.

Not even pink underpants? And btw, thank for showing that video to me. I could have died without knowing it :)

3 minutes ago, Galactus said:

I missed the first semi (just got back from Stockholm, and had the choice between newly released Stellaris and Eurovision... I picked the former)

So who's on tonight? 

SEMI FINAL 2

Spoiler

1. Australia

2. Belarus

3. Ireland

4. Israel

5. Latvia

6. Lithuania

7. FYR Macedonia

8. Poland

9. Serbia

10. Switzerland

11. Albania

12. Belgium

13. Bulgaria

14. Denmark

15. Georgia

16. Norway

17. Romania

18. Slovenia

19. Ukraine

7 minutes ago, Galactus said:

I was more thinking "Who's going to be in chat" but thanks anyway.

I later thought you asked that, but the usual suspects - Lyanna, mashiara, dal'Thor, Buckwheat... (I have forgotten some people :))

A couple weeks ago I was watching with a friend the music video versions of the songs on youtube; is it my imagination or are more of the songs being sung in English than there used to be? I've only seen I think 3 Eurovisions before, and I seem to recall less English. And also fewer pop love songs.

12 hours ago, Fez said:

A couple weeks ago I was watching with a friend the music video versions of the songs on youtube; is it my imagination or are more of the songs being sung in English than there used to be? I've only seen I think 3 Eurovisions before, and I seem to recall less English. And also fewer pop love songs.

Well, yes, because of several reasons, but mostly because English is the universal language of pop music, and also because Eurovision is changing and evolving to be more "universal", i.e. more like pop music in general. A lot of people hate this, and want it to be campy, ethno-stuff forever, but that ain't happening. Today the betting institutes rely a lot on which songs are played the most on youtube and spotify, and half of the votes are also popular votes, not jury votes.

Which means that Russia gave Conchita Wurst their 10 points even if the official Russian policy hates LGBTQ people. The whole "popular vote" thing, and the fact that voting via app has got introduced means the Eurovision voting has got younger as well. Add to this how a number of countries are entering some of their well established stars, or at least The Voice finalists (Sweden last year, Australia, France and Russia this year, to name a few) and the quality of the songs will veer more towards radio pop chart stuff.

Even countries like Spain, France, Italy and Croatia are entering with songs in English, or partially in English.

The current favourites are Australia, Russia, the Ukraine and France, with Sweden and Italy as runners up. apart from the Ukraine which I have no idea why it is there (bleah) they are all modern entries in English, or in France's case, mostly English (and Italy mixes it up, which is a bit sad) and they could easily climb the charts. Which I believe they are doing too.

Spotify rankings

youtube rankings

Not the entire truth, of course, as the Scandinavian countries are generally more keen on streaming via spotify, but it's an interesting phenomena. And a vast change from the 80s and 90s Esc which were far kitschier and more LOLs worthy.

In my view, this year is Russia's to lose, and the contender is Australia. Potentially France could threaten them, but Amir needs to totally nail it on Saturday to get past them. Especially Australia's live performance was really, really good, so I do believe Dami Im will bump SERGEI!!! to second place. Which could mean Australia may get to co-host with Russia next year, in Moscow!! :rofl::rofl:

Archived