Eurovision 2016: The pink underoos of the Motherland

Mladen

27 minutes ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Well, yes, because of several reasons, but mostly because English is the universal language of pop music, and also because Eurovision is changing and evolving to be more "universal", i.e. more like pop music in general. A lot of people hate this, and want it to be campy, ethno-stuff forever, but that ain't happening. Today the betting institutes rely a lot on which songs are played the most on youtube and spotify, and half of the votes are also popular votes, not jury votes.

Well, if French can sing in English, by God so can everyone else :)

Yeah, this created a lot of controversy in ex-Yu region. Both Croatian and Serbian entries had to go through the bashing from the nationalists who thought it is disgraceful to sing in English. Croatian singer, Nina had even to publicly defend herself by reminding people that the song was played on youtube more than 1 million times in like a week. The composer guild in Croatia even wrote the protest letter to national broadcaster of Croatia demanding explanation for choosing foreign authors. In Serbia, people complained about English saying that "we lost identity" (strangely I think our ethno ESC identity has crept unwanted into this song). Also, luckily for Sanja, someone reminded people that our big brother, Mother Russia usually sends the entries in English. And you simply can't argue with that argument.

34 minutes ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Which means that Russia gave Conchita Wurst their 10 points even if the official Russian policy hates LGBTQ people.

And that just shows how politicizing certain things on ESC is pointless. Like last year, when that poor Russian girl had to endure all the boos from the audience. That wasn't cool as she herself wasn't to be blamed for situation in Russia or Ukraine. Luckily, this year we moved passed that. Or at least, people are focusing on making that dreadful Ukrainian song win.

35 minutes ago, Lyanna Stark said:

For anyone in doubt, check this live performance out from last night. Sorry Australia, you are going to win this. :P 

Once ESC, always ESC... We can't let go... As we were reminded last night

OMG LOVE the new threat title!! :rofl:

45 minutes ago, Risto said:

Well, if French can sing in English, by God so can everyone else :)

In Serbia, people complained about English saying that "we lost identity" (strangely I think our ethno ESC identity has crept unwanted into this song). Also, luckily for Sanja, someone reminded people that our big brother, Mother Russia usually sends the entries in English. And you simply can't argue with that argument.

I might add here too that the Balkan entries going through were Serbia and Croatia :P while the others tanked horribly, i.e. the English entries went through. LOL also at how they had to be reminded that even Russia sent entries in English, and have been since the breadbaking grandmas.

This must be the first year even France is singing in English.

Then there is always SERGEI!!! https://31.media.tumblr.com/b54b43336897fb378c7357a407db6705/tumblr_n2eqrkA9Um1qj3txzo2_250.gif

EDIT: Stupid image linking html won't work. It's the most awesome gif, too!

21 minutes ago, Lyanna Stark said:

OMG LOVE the new threat title!! :rofl:

I thought you might :)

21 minutes ago, Lyanna Stark said:

I might add here too that the Balkan entries going through were Serbia and Croatia :P while the others tanked horribly, i.e. the English entries went through. LOL also at how they had to be reminded that even Russia sent entries in English, and have been since the breadbaking grandmas.

This must be the first year even France is singing in English.

What is good for Motherland is also good enough for us... And interestingly no, not the first time for France. Although, I am not sure whether they had versions in two languages, or the songs were truly bilingual. 

24 minutes ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Then there is always SERGEI!!! https://31.media.tumblr.com/b54b43336897fb378c7357a407db6705/tumblr_n2eqrkA9Um1qj3txzo2_250.gif

http://i.makeagif.com/media/5-23-2015/841evb.gif

I know I'm voting for Australia this Saturday. Aside from my own countries song (also qualified for the finale) and Australia's submission I haven't heard any others (it certainly helps that the Australian song is also quite good), but I simply don't care. I just want to laugh my ass of when Australia wins the Eurovision Songfestival :D 

8 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I know I'm voting for Australia this Saturday. Aside from my own countries song (also qualified for the finale) and Australia's submission I haven't heard any others (it certainly helps that the Australian song is also quite good), but I simply don't care. I just want to laugh my ass of when Australia wins the Eurovision Songfestival :D 

Just in case that actually happens...

4 hours ago, Risto said:

I'm disappointed that they can't move the whole thing to Australia :D How I would laugh. Still, this solution could also pay dividents. Like, what would happen if Australia snubs the UK? Madness and mayhem would ensue I'm sure :) 

6 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

I refuse to believe that is real:lol:

Contain yourself Red! :P 

8 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Okay, I have just watched his clip. It's gayer than Top Gun. If he brings that energy on stage, he'll probably beat Australia :( The gif is indeed awesome though :D EDIT: Woops, didn't realize that Take it off isn't Russia entry this year.

16 hours ago, dooog said:

Why do they even bother with this anymore it's not like they'll EVER top Lithuania 2007

I don't even remember the other contestants that year, but everyone remembers that one. The irony voters sadly weren't strong enough :'( 

5 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

In my view, this year is Russia's to lose, and the contender is Australia. Potentially France could threaten them, but Amir needs to totally nail it on Saturday to get past them. Especially Australia's live performance was really, really good, so I do believe Dami Im will bump SERGEI!!! to second place. Which could mean Australia may get to co-host with Russia next year, in Moscow!! :rofl::rofl:

Oh God, please, Yes! Australia for the Win! I loved the song and the performance and I would just die laughing if they won. :lol: Sergei would be a sure winner if his song was the magnificent pink underwear one, but since it isn't, I'm for Australia all the way.

And I stand by what I said in chat. let's invite India next year (Bollywood influences!!), Japan, Congo, whoever the hell wants to perform. Why not? We'll call it WorldVision(FormelyKnownAsEurovision)TM and laugh our hearts out.

Sorry I left early last night. I was so exhausted I kept nodding off -and the lack of weirdness didn't help. This has probably been the most boring Eurovision ever. I'll do better on Saturday.

14 minutes ago, mashiara said:

And I stand by what I said in chat. let's invite India next year (Bollywood influences!!), Japan, Congo, whoever the hell wants to perform. Why not? We'll call it WorldVision(FormelyKnownAsEurovision)TM and laugh our hearts out.

We need first to include Vatican... And then the rest... And there has to be system. First, Australian territories would have their own private Aussievision to determine whom to send, after which all 43 Japanese prefectures would hold their own representative somewhere during January. Hokkaido is amazing during February. Then USA should have their own competition during Superbowl and then the victor of the 50 states should be sent to ESC. China is already interested. Perhaps we could make some arrangements with North and South Korea too.

Come on people, get serious. We have a world to conquer :)

6 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

stuff

That all makes sense. But I will say, as an American who remembers every 4 or 5 years that Eurovision is a thing and then seeks out the most recent entries looking for something fun and goofy, it is disappointing to hear. The last time I watched Eurovision, I think it was 2010 or 2011, there were certainly a lot of English pop songs but there was also still a bunch of techno-beat, weird-costume, native language songs happening. 

On the other hand, there were also long, slow, boring ballads were it just a dude and an acoustic guitar singing about how his love left him, or whatever.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

That all makes sense. But I will say, as an American who remembers every 4 or 5 years that Eurovision is a thing and then seeks out the most recent entries looking for something fun and goofy, it is disappointing to hear. The last time I watched Eurovision, I think it was 2010 or 2011, there were certainly a lot of English pop songs but there was also still a bunch of techno-beat, weird-costume, native language songs happening. 

On the other hand, there were also long, slow, boring ballads were it just a dude and an acoustic guitar singing about how his love left him, or whatever.

Oh there are still some weird ass entries.  This year's favourite WTF entry (since SERGEI!! denied us the pink underpant dance stuff :crying: ) is definitely the Belarus faux Legolas who wanted to be naked with wolves on stage. This abomination is worth looking through til the very end where something really random happens. Bring the popcorn, it's weirder than Verka Serdushka. With a song that sounded like "Russia Goodbye" (but that was in 2007)

In general tho, a lot of countries have cottoned on to the fact that ridiculous is one thing, but that winning would actually be nice, and they actually strategise to win, which means aiming for a honest to God good song. And a singer and a show that can capture people in 3 minutes flat cross a whole continent (and a bit more). Not the easiest thing to do. :)

And being naked with wolves didn't help, in the end. :P

Oh, I just realized that 'Take it off' isn't the Russian entry this year :o Really weird, because that song and dance would have won Eurovision easily. The other one isn't in the same league. Australia's song is much better. 

1 minute ago, Veltigar said:

Oh, I just realized that 'Take it off' isn't the Russian entry this year :o

Now you know how the rest of us felt when we found out there will be no pink underoos on the stage this year.

Just now, Risto said:

Now you know how the rest of us felt when we found out there will be no pink underoos on the stage this year.

It's a really terrible feeling isn't it :P I mean, everything about that clip screams Eurovision songfestival winner. And it's nice that there is some energy in that song. From what I have seen (not a lot) and heard, this is a damn static year performance wise. There don't seem to be a lot of contestants with a nice choreography.

7 minutes ago, Risto said:

8 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Oh, I just realized that 'Take it off' isn't the Russian entry this year :o Really weird, because that song and dance would have won Eurovision easily. The other one isn't in the same league. Australia's song is much better. 

Sorry for getting your hopes up! :rofl:

I think the dream scenario would be for Australia to win, and then co-host with Russia and SERGEI!!! performing "Take it off" live at Eurovision 2017 in Moscow, complete with pink underpants. We can always dream! :commie::rofl:

The more I think about this, the more I feel this needs to happen.

@Risto just noticed you are lacking a "the" in front of "motherland" in the title tho. sorry for the nitpick. :P

26 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I was afraid of making a politically incorrect gay joke, holy shit have you guys dispelled my fear:lol:

Oh come off it, there is absolutely nothing improper about the pink underpants of the Motherland! :lol:

Speaking off Best of Eurovision, I still think this entry is my all time favourite. It's also still a great bloody song, and ridiculously catchy. Out of all the Esc songs, this is the only one my daughter really cares for, too. Dana 4evah!

32 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I was afraid of making a politically incorrect gay joke, holy shit have you guys dispelled my fear:lol:

I don't know about the rest, but I consider pink underpants rather serious... 

38 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

It's a really terrible feeling isn't it :P I mean, everything about that clip screams Eurovision songfestival winner. And it's nice that there is some energy in that song. From what I have seen (not a lot) and heard, this is a damn static year performance wise. There don't seem to be a lot of contestants with a nice choreography.

This ESC is in dire need of Sakis... Well, Swedes did good CGI :)

36 minutes ago, Lyanna Stark said:

I think the dream scenario would be for Australia to win, and then co-host with Russia and SERGEI!!! performing "Take it off" live at Eurovision 2017 in Moscow, complete with pink underpants. We can always dream! :commie::rofl:

Dream scenario: Australia winning, Moscow hosting and certain bald-headed bear hunter of the Motherland dancing with Sergei!!! on "Take ot off"

But, seriously, I wonder what will happen to the image of Ruskies here in Serbia if pink underpants guy wins. My people are not ready for that shock. Well, we can always say he is American spy :D

39 minutes ago, Lyanna Stark said:

@Risto just noticed you are lacking a "the" in front of "motherland" in the title tho. sorry for the nitpick. :P

Corrected... We don't want mistakes when we talk of about the Motherland :)

10 minutes ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Speaking off Best of Eurovision, I still think this entry is my all time favourite. It's also still a great bloody song, and ridiculously catchy. Out of all the Esc songs, this is the only one my daughter really cares for, too. Dana 4evah!

Oh, sharing... The song I still mourn... This could have been Serbia&Montenegro's 2006 entry...

Then of course, how can we forget Cezar...

And since we are not discriminating... Ukranian shady lady and Polish milkmaids...

11 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Dubstep opera vampire was a classic

Oh definitely. He also gave the Swedish language a new word: kjolhiss, literally "skirt elevator", to describe what happened to his dress.

Luckily, the contestants have realised that trying to sound like a Skrillex wannabe is extremely passé. No more random dubstep!!

Unlike you mockers :P I tend to actually honest to God *like* some Eurovision songs, like Dana. Another favourite is legendary Sertab Erener. Bring back Turkey!!

Archived