Eurovision 2016: The pink underoos of the Motherland

Mladen

1 hour ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Unlike you mockers :P I tend to actually honest to God *like* some Eurovision songs, like Dana. Another favourite is legendary Sertab Erener. Bring back Turkey!!

All right... No mocking...

Specially for you @Lyanna Stark

And that is all for now :)

EDIT 1: Patriotism, fiddle and romance...

I will say, I non-ironically, like 

There might be English in there, I can't actually tell. No idea what the song is about, but its just so catchy.

My favourite songs (not clothes) and without Ireland that doesn't exist anymore are:

-Netherlands 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vytgHD2pqyk

-Croacia 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBrADG8lWFY

-Israel 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpWKfcjXcp0

Italy, C.Republic also good ones. Cyprus as a rock song, not so bad.

I guess they won't have many points.

I was surprised with the result. I didn't like Ukraine's song. I just don't care how great the message or the history is, the song itself didn't do anything for me. I thought Australia or Russia had this one in the bag, it turned out otherwise. I'm not passionate enough about any of the songs to be truly upset about it, (if Sergei had worn his pink underoos, that would have made a difference, damn it!) and it's not the first time I song I didn't care for wins, but damn it, politics!

I was afraid the voting process would be endless and double the time we needed to get results, but I did like not knowing who's going to win until the very last second. I'm probably in favor of keeping this format.

Had to watch it on a delay so couldn't hang around here, quiet one this year. Yeah I thought Russian dude had it. The results format highlights how much the popular vote differs from the panel vote.

As a UKian I'm kind of hoping we eventually pull our finger out and do something interesting, our entries have been pitiful for years.

The winner is an awful song. Politics politics something something won this one.

The format of the result reveal was cool though. I was afraid they were going to phone all the countries again, but luckily that did not happen. It was nice to see all the jumps (Poland!) in the end with the popular vote.

First and foremost, it was such a fun night on westeros chat and the old gang made the night as good as always... :grouphug:

As someone who watched politics being immersed with the national competition in period of 2004-2006 in former union of Serbia and Montenegro, I have to say I am rather saddened that Europe, it seems, knows no better. Whoever hoped to stop block-voting was partially correct, but what we got was far worse. As @mashiara, it is not something to be frustrated about, it is just sad what EBU has turned ESC into.

The greatest irony of Russia is that they really want to win, people want them to win, but couple of hundreds of EBU jury members don't. The political voting of the jurors was so obvious this year that at moments it was amusing to watch whom will they give those 12 points. Well, the message is sent. If International Law and Ukranian army can't win Russia, by God Ukraine will beat them at Eurovision.

I wanted France to win, it was a great song, wonderfully performed and the guy needed only microphone to make that song perfect. As for Serbia, better luck next year. We should really consider making it a state law never to send any song that doesn't have ethno motif. These attempts of innovative music style don't work. Back to basics, my brethren. And of course, Zeljko...

And yeah, the format proved to be amazing. I just don't understand how no one thought of properly explaining this to the audience. I was half-waiting to hear from countries 2 times.

7 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

The winner is an awful song. Politics politics something something won this one.

The format of the result reveal was cool though. I was afraid they were going to phone all the countries again, but luckily that did not happen. It was nice to see all the jumps (Poland!) in the end with the popular vote.

Yeah the winner was terrible. Lots of incomprehensible wailing to a triphop beat. The worst part is that I can normally remember and sing a piece of the winner the day after. This year? Not a chance, since it has basically no melody. And yes, agreed with everyone who said this was a political vote. Australia had a great song (and was robbed) Russia had a great song (and SERGEI!!! was robbed). I would have preferred any of the other songs in top 5, or even top 20! to win. I was somewhat surprised Ukraine got out of the semis with that tosh, but again, politics.

The format is the same as is being used in Sweden every year for our own finals. It's not a bad format, and cuts down on stupidity.

16 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Of course the best song of the night was the one we couldn't vote for

I hate commercial breaks! I did not even see that last night, it is brilliant.

Meh, I had Ukraine at two after the singing was over. And if Australia couldn't win, then I'm glad that they took it home. I liked the fact that most of the song was in her own language, the 'wailing' as some of you describe it I found haunting, the show was pretty rad (especially that tree) and I like the fact that it wasn't all happy, happy. By God, this world can be full of tragedy and it's nice that for once a Eurovision songfestival winner reflects that. Plus, the fact that the whole song was basically a fuck you to Putin's neo-colonial politics in Crimea was just an added bonus. 

I'm also glad that Russia didn't win. They had the best effects, I'll give them that, but the song didn't do it for me. Sweden's success was also pretty puzzling to me. The worst surprise of the night was Poland though, what were the people of Europe smoking when they gave that guy the fourth highest total score. The jury score for that guy was way more accurate. That just goes to show you how many Poles live in the diaspora across Europe I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Meh, I had Ukraine at two after the singing was over. And if Australia couldn't win, then I'm glad that they took it home. I liked the fact that most of the song was in her own language, the 'wailing' as some of you describe it I found haunting.

I found it haunting as well, but for all the wrong reasons.

10 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

By God, this world can be full of tragedy and it's nice that for once a Eurovision songfestival winner reflects that. Plus, the fact that the whole song was basically a fuck you to Putin's neo-colonial politics in Crimea was just an added bonus. 

Oh, come on... Eurovision didn't reflect on tragedies. The song itself didn't reflect on that tragedy. This is like some poor attempt of making ESC more important than it is, only to reveal its deeply-incorporated political gaming. It was pathetic. This is like when AMPAS awarded Argo. It supposed to mean something, but it didn't.

13 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I'm also glad that Russia didn't win.

Why? Because of Putin or because of the song? We need to separate these two. This guy played LGBT card so forcefully that I suppose lion share of people in the Motherland would find it appalling. We need to stop thinking about those artists as some sort of government's officials,

29 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I hate commercial breaks! I did not even see that last night, it is brilliant.

We all agree Justin was the best, but he was disqualified for having more than 6 people on stage.

Archived