Eurovision 2016: The pink underoos of the Motherland

Mladen

Yeap, Australia is back. It seems they are obsessed with us... My favorite ridiculous part of the year begins as we approach to the deadline to which all the countries must submit the songs. This year we will have record-breaking 43 participating countries, including our favorite European country - Australia :) Eurovision 2016 will take place in Ericsson Globe in Stockholm and the hosts will be the last year's winner Mans Zelmerlow and Petra Mede.

This year, we will see the return of many eastern countries like Ukraine, Bulgaria, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina. We won't be seeing Portugal this year.

Here are the participants, with you-tube links to the songs:

SEMI FINAL 1

1. Armenia

2. Croatia

3. Finland

4. Greece

5. Hungary

6. Moldova

7. Netherlands

8. Russia

9.  San Marino

10. Austria

11. Azerbaijan

12. Bosnia and Hercegovina

13. Cyprus

14. Czech Republic

15. Estonia

16. Iceland

17. Malta

18. Montenegro

SEMI FINAL 2

1. Australia

2. Belarus

3. Ireland

4. Israel

5. Latvia

6. Lithuania

7. FYR Macedonia

8. Poland

9. Serbia

10. Switzerland

11. Albania

12. Belgium

13. Bulgaria

14. Denmark

15. Georgia

16. Norway

17. Romania

18. Slovenia

19. Ukraine

BIG FIVE + HOST COUNTRY (directly in FINALS)

1. United Kingdom

2. France

3. Germany

4. Spain

5. Italy

6. Sweden

A bit of trivia: Kazakhstan, Faroe Islands and China expressed their desire to participate this year. However due to different problems, their participation were not approved. It remains to see whether 2017 we will see them coming to ESC. 

55 minutes ago, Risto said:

A bit of trivia: Kazakhstan, Faroe Islands and China expressed their desire to participate this year. However due to different problems, their participation were not approved. It remains to see whether 2017 we will see them coming to ESC. 

Man I wonder what kind of act the Faroe Islands would sent to something like this? A band with a sheep as the lead singer and a background chorus of brutally slaughtered pilot whales?

By the way do you happen to know the exact date of the finale? I can't say that I'll bother to watch the semi-finales, but last year my friends and I had a pretty good time watching the finale, so I'd like to repeat that experience :) 

9 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Man I wonder what kind of act the Faroe Islands would sent to something like this? A band with a sheep as the lead singer and a background chorus of brutally slaughtered pilot whales?

By the way do you happen to know the exact date of the finale? I can't say that I'll bother to watch the semi-finales, but last year my friends and I had a pretty good time watching the finale, so I'd like to repeat that experience :) 

I am more interested in what China prepares for us. As for date, it is on May, 14th. The semi-finals are on 10th and 12th of May. Also, why do you think this thread is opened? Westeros.org chat parties on Eurovision nights are priceless.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently Russia is listed as the absolute favourite, but I find the song super-cheesy and really old-skool, as something Sakis would have considered in 2008, but probably ditches cos it was just a bit too dated.

I'm kinda fond of the Swedish entry because it's not the typical Eurovision fare, sort of like the Dutch more mellow entry from a couple of years ago. Not sure it will work in Eastern Europe tho. It has no disco tempo, no fit Russian dudes and no beauty contest winners in the video.

I'm rather hoping Croatia will take it tho. Their song is actually really good. More Balkan in the Eurovision!

So what gives guys? Is Russia this year's golden boy? Or Will it be Australia or Croatia instead? How much is the UK going to complain about political voting after once again sending an abysmal entry?

2 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Apparently Russia is listed as the absolute favourite, but I find the song super-cheesy and really old-skool, as something Sakis would have considered in 2008, but probably ditches cos it was just a bit too dated.

Yeah, it feels too much as Sakis in 2004, without ethno sound Sakis used.

French song is growing to me with each new listening... Australia, Croatia. I don't see the appeal of Ukranian song except for its background. Sweden is not nice song, but not exactly Eurovision-like.

I am also feeling good about Serbian entry this year. Not what I expected from our usual Eurovision repertoire, but nice positive surprise. Not sure what to think about her inarticulate movements and that ethno sound between verses, but nice song.

4 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

How much is the UK going to complain about political voting after once again sending an abysmal entry?

It's traditional, no matter how much that Swedish guy blames Wogan :)

9 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

How much is the UK going to complain about political voting after once again sending an abysmal entry?

True. Not ridiculous enough. They are usually much more hilarious.

I am not sure if it is too soon to ask this, but since I just found this thread - after the upgrade that was and is here to stay, will we be using this chat monstrosity on the forum or some other place for the Eurovision running commentary now? I was out for the finale last year because Vienna, but want to join in here this time. :P

I'm a huge Eurovision fan and have been watching it every year since the late 80s. I normally don't like or listen to "popular" mainstream music, but can't help but love Eurovision. :wub:

Now thanks to the wonders of YouTube, I've also been able to watch all the previous years from before I was even born (so I've watched every single year in its entirety from 1956 and onwards), which means I've heard every single Eurovision entry there ever was. :D I have SO many top favorites, but mostly from the 1950s-1990s. The 2000s-2010s have been much weaker (for me personally) music wise.

22 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am not sure if it is too soon to ask this, but since I just found this thread - after the upgrade that was and is here to stay, will we be using this chat monstrosity on the forum or some other place for the Eurovision running commentary now? I was out for the finale last year because Vienna, but want to join in here this time. :P

I don't think there is any problem using the new chat with special room for ESC? 

@Ran, can you give us a bit clearer answer on this? Thanks :)

Once again, for the record, third year in the row, the best part of ESC is Westeros chat on ESC.

Yay Westeros chat. Been avoiding the board since fl00b, but it seems to be up again.

Perhaps interesting, the last couple of years the Swedish Eurovision qualification has been fairly well matched with Spotify streaming statistics, and the Spotify statistics for Eurovision are interesting and do not match the betting insititutes' strong favouring of Russia.

While I'd view the Swedish song with some suspicions since, it's interesting to note that if spotify holds some truth, then the Scandinavian countries, Netherlands, France and Australia are looking good for this year. Interesting to note is that Germany is listed as far more popular on spotify than on the betting sites, by a LOT. Russia isn't doing badly, but judging by Spotify, it's also not a winner.

On 5/3/2016 at 11:07 AM, Lyanna Stark said:

Favourite Russia fell during the first rehearsal and is now tied with France for no 1 by the betting institutes. La France!!!

I have to say that on every next listening, France's song sounds better and better. And generally, wrt odds, between France and Russia, the bookies are always going to go with more obvious choice. And Russia is always obvious choice due to well, countless "small siblings" :)

My personal favourites are Israel (piano-based slow-building power ballad, that's right up my alley) and Germany (many melodic parts that would fit well in a Miyazaki-movie). I'd be delighted if they finished top 5 but I don't think they'll win.

Favourites to win? I don't really see the appeal of France. Can see Russia or Australia winning. Haven't seen them mentioned here, but Bulgaria clicked immediately with me. Croatia and Hungary I see possibilities for too.

Archived