*SPOILERS* Netflix's Love: Lets go too far... lito's way.

Channel4s-JonSnow

17 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I totally agree she was being a dick! They are both very selfish people. I don't really know why I got so into the show tbh lol. 

haha, I like it for that very reason, they are realistic people. Its refreshing in a world where movies and shows basically are scared to show characters that are unlikable and have flaws.

Can I just say that I really didn't like Gus? I liked his character as a passive aggressive, insecure, simmeringly hostile jerk and thought it was really interesting that initially he seems like the nice awkward nerd and Mickey would be the hot mean girl when really she feels guilt more than Gus, cares more about him than he does about her and is basically just a huge addict for every part of her life. I thought it was a really refreshing spin on the Hot Girl with...uhh...Not Hot Guy

Is it Theda who said this from the watching thread? I'm not sure but I'm quoting anyway. 

I think they're both fairly selfish, self destructive and characters with pretty big flaws. And that's fine with me. Although I disagree with Theda saying Gus seeming like a 'nice awkward nerd' when his ex spelling his character out in the first episode, calling him 'fake nice' . Though I feel like I didn't really get to know Gus as well as I got to know Mickey over the 10 or so episodes. I feel like a lot of the decisions he took over the course of the show were more towards driving the plot forward, to try and provide another point of conflict between Gus and Mickey, as opposed to something that he might actually do ( then again, it's hard to know what he might actually do given that I'm not sure the character is very well fleshed out). 

Furthermore, as to who feels worse/ more guilty/ is the worse out of the two? I don't think that point really matters much, tbh. They both do their fair share of less than nice things to each other and also to other people on the show ( Gus cheats of Mickey/ Mickey cheats on her ex with someone else etc) . I love that Bertie calls Mickey out in the final episode for taking advantage of her. Speaking of taking advantage of, Theda also mentioned about Gus taking advantage of Mickey in that final scene - I read it slightly differently - I think the easier thing to do in that situation is to kiss her, and that's exactly what Gus does, rather than deal with what she's saying and try and take in her vulnerability, her feelings etc. Taking the easier choice as opposed to dealing with someone's/ your emotions? I've certainly been guilty of that! 

Yeah I can't disagree with you about Gus in that way. The story in the second half of the season was more of a series of plot points, things that happened to him. There was some element of finding out more about him, but I think really the interesting part was his effect on Mickey.

I agree that I still don't feel like I know him really well, but that is in part because he has a large barrier that doesn't let people in, which is aggressive niceness. He doesn't often show his true feelings or desires because he's scared of doing that, so instead you get him trying to be friendly or kooky, which is just an act. 

At the very least Mickey is a bit more honest with others about who she is and what she is thinking, and shows her emotions. Gus rarely does that, except when he had that argument with Mickey or when he acted like a dick at his episode meeting. 

I definitely think it's valid to say Gus isn't as fleshed out as Mickey and maybe that's a problem with the acting or maybe Gillian Jacobs is just so good in comparison. I didn't really want to pit them against each other in terms of who is worse I just care a lot more about Mickey than I do about Gus. I only really care about Gus' story now in relation to other character. In relation to Mickey, and to see characters like Arya and the sandwhich guy and Gus' cool friends. Whereas Mickey is a really great example of a chronically depressed addict. She blames herself as much as other people blame her and ia disgusted with herself most of the time, especially in the end scene and Gus lets her. He lets her take all the blame and then he just kisses her and ignores all she's just revealed to him. He never owns up to anything or takes the blame or responsibility for any situation. 

When Evan shows him disdain for letting a child fight his battles his response is all whiny and pathetic and just 'omg i didnt maaake her do it' pathetic. He's in his thirties and he hasn't even got enough dignity to speak up when a 12 year old girl is jeopardising her own career and reputation (I know she isn't bothered but kids make rash decisions) he just stood there like a plank with a gormless expression. How are we really supposed to care about him much?? But I kind of love Mickey, with all her faults. Her hot temper, bluntness, narcissism ect - I care about her ad want to see how HER story progresses. 

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I care about her ad want to see how HER story progresses. 

You should definitely ask yourself why that is. 

Other than Jacobs just having waaaaay more charisma and, like, zest than the dude playing Gus (who also co-wrote the show). 

Because I have known people like Mickey who aren't totally awful people, I'm just interested in what happens to her and I really like Gillian Jacobs ?? Why does it have to be anything deeper than that? Ya. I know he co wrote. Not convinced he is that great of an actor though if I hate Gus so much. Or maybe tat is because he IS a good actor? Idk. Hate is a strong word. I don't hate him. I HATE Victor Frankenstein, I HATE Walter White. I just don't like Gus very much. 

Maybe I am being too hard on him though. I really did like him in the blu-ray scene and in the jet scene at the party. And when he's hanging out with his friends doing the theme song party (minus girls he is interested in) but I just found him in the second half of the series so unbearable and it's clear that loads of other people around him can't stand him either like the people he works with. 

Agreed that he comes out the bigger douche, after expecting the opposite.

I loved how the writer's room was such a shark tank, with everyone eager to not see new competition come in. And how his character flaws utterly derail him. I like the show's commitment to the disaster. Even though he keeps his old job, it's no minor thing. He's destroyed his dream and it's a really crushing moment all around. 

Loved the Andy Dick episode. However, I did not know about groping stuff beforehand, which is just as well. Do yourself a favor, and if you haven't seen the episode, don't google the groping stuff beforehand. Wait til after. It might wreck the ep if you don't know and then go get this knowledge before watching it.

Some similarity to Jessica Jones, although not as hard bitten.

I really loved the Andy Dick episode as well and I didn't even know who he was lol. Then I googled because I quite liked him and found loads of crap and was like oh ok then lol. 

Yeah - I like the fact Gus actually isn't a great writer though, he has some neat ideas but he completely did not understand what that show was trying to do. But I still wanted him to just accept they're using his idea and be happy and nooooo it kept getting worse and worse and WORSE :P ugh major cringe. They are a bit rude where he works but I don't think they're terible people or as toxic as Gus thinks. 

Funny, I thought the Andy Dick was by far the worst episode of them all, maybe personal preference. I watched it twice and it was the only episode I really struggled to get through. Maybe I just found him such an unpleasant character, maybe I couldn't understand why anybody would like him, or maybe its just that I don't really find 'drug episodes' that interesting. I don't know, but my other half hated that one too.

32 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I really loved the Andy Dick episode as well and I didn't even know who he was lol. Then I googled because I quite liked him and found loads of crap and was like oh ok then lol. 

Yeah - I like the fact Gus actually isn't a great writer though, he has some neat ideas but he completely did not understand what that show was trying to do. But I still wanted him to just accept they're using his idea and be happy and nooooo it kept getting worse and worse and WORSE :P ugh major cringe. They are a bit rude where he works but I don't think they're terible people or as toxic as Gus thinks. 

I do like that the show twisted my expectations about what was going to happen. I assumed that Gus would end up being a sympathetic character from the first episode.. but he really wasn't. I expected also that gus would get his episode bought and he'd go on to be a massively awesome writer. I didn't even contemplate that Gus was in fact shit at writing, and actually was an idiot. Its a good twist.

BTW, I don't know if anyone has watched Knocked Up, or This is 40, but I noticed last night that Arya from Loved is actually the youngest daughter of the Paul Rudd character in those movies.

On 3/16/2016 at 10:43 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

I definitely think it's valid to say Gus isn't as fleshed out as Mickey and maybe that's a problem with the acting or maybe Gillian Jacobs is just so good in comparison. I didn't really want to pit them against each other in terms of who is worse I just care a lot more about Mickey than I do about Gus. I only really care about Gus' story now in relation to other character. In relation to Mickey, and to see characters like Arya and the sandwhich guy and Gus' co

With Gus, I'm curious to see what he will end up doing next. He's not the sort of character that I can figure out *exactly* what he is going to do next, for example, I didn't think he would cheat on Mickey with that actress. In that way I'm curious about what happens to his character. I can't say that I particularly care about either of them, would probably watch a show with just Bertie, tbh. 

I did find it odd that I found the actress that Gus slept with fairly pleasant until her character ends up taking a 180 and becomes slightly annoying and a bit strange. It's in instances like that one which make me thing 1) Is LOVE just poorly written or 2) Do the writers want me to feel that way?

• 5 weeks later...

I got around to watching this, I have mixed feelings about the show overall but I generally feel kinda bad for Mickey, at least compared to Gus, as she is clearly an deeply unwell person whereas Gus is merely an entitled prick. Not that her bad behavior is excused, she definitely treats people like garbage. I think the worst thing Gus did was that kiss at the end, that was cringeworthy, after she admitted all the problems she had the best thing would have been to wish her well and hope she actually gets her life in order not essentially prey on her addictions (of course there would be no show if that were the case, but we aren't actually supposed to be rooting for these two to get together, are we?).

About that Magic Castle date, I don't see any way to read it other than Gus being totally in the wrong. Yeah, if you are in a relationship, you try to share interests and hope for a modicum of respect from your partner, but it is incredibly selfish to make you first date all about your interests and get upset when your date isn't interested. And any place that puts a dress code over basic human comfort should burn to the ground anyway.

8 hours ago, Morpheus said:

About that Magic Castle date, I don't see any way to read it other than Gus being totally in the wrong. Yeah, if you are in a relationship, you try to share interests and hope for a modicum of respect from your partner, but it is incredibly selfish to make you first date all about your interests and get upset when your date isn't interested. And any place that puts a dress code over basic human comfort should burn to the ground anyway.

I can see it from both sides, but I still can understand it from Gus' point of view. He took her to somewhere that is really special to him, in the hope that she would like it too, its clearly part of him he really wanted to share. Thats not to say there wasn't another more selfish reason behind it, it being something he loves and would enjoy. But I really think he thought she'd like it, and he wanted to have a special date with her.

But she acted like a total dick while she was there, basically completely dissing one of the most special parts of his life, and making him look bad in a place where his reputation was important to him. 

It would have been understandable if she'd simply not liked it, but she was incredibly vocal about how little she liked it, WHILE she was there. 

The coat thing, I think thats just the Magic Castles fault for having stupid rules. Gus should have stood up for her a bit and just left, but he is a stickler for rules, and has too much respect for Magic Castle to complain

• 9 months later...

Archived