Channel4s-JonSnow

*SPOILERS* Netflix's Love: Lets go too far... lito's way.

97 posts in this topic

And disclosing that she's in AA to her asshole dad who is obviously going to spin it to see her as a fuckup is so clueless and shitty - Gus just doesn't have a freakin clue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/03/2017 at 7:06 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Just watched Marty Dobbs and now I can totally understand more where mickey is coming from. 

Was a bit annoyed when Mickey told Gus the story of being terrified as a child because her father left her in a strange place in the dark and he basically just said; "maaaaaybe you're overreacting" what a dick head.  

Her dad being a drunk, destructive dude makes sense 

Gus has the BIGGEST white knight complex either even thO he's a total asshole 

So I've finally finished the season, I'm gonna spoil some things so look away anyone who hasn't seen it.


- Bit of a let down with the ending I think, I didn't really enjoy the last episode with the comedy chase scene, felt a little slapstick and just time wasting. 

- The way the 'time away' from each other was handled was good, it felt real how Mickey drifted apart from Gus and moved her attention onto something new (or old ) and shiny. She clearly needs that attention and love and maybe if she's not getting it constantly then she moves on to somewhere else. I felt sorry for Gus at this point, although the way he acted on set is so cringy, hes such a weak self centred man. 

- I enjoyed that they both came to a sort of realisation about themselves by the end of the season. Gus that he's focusing on others to not look at his own problems, and Mickey that she can be a total bitch. However by the end its hard to really feel much sympathy for her, her behaviour in the last 2 episodes was pretty despicable. 

- Hard to know if Gus would forgive her if he ever found out about what she did (he will find out I'm sure), in some ways I think it would only drive him on to loving her more. I can't remember if his ex cheated on him? She did right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of the main characters in this are a total nightmare. Hard to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not something I have been able to binge watch; are the episodes shorter this year?? I'm glad about that. I can't really take too much of them at a time but I do feel invested in this show lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Relic said:

Both of the main characters in this are a total nightmare. Hard to watch. 

I couldn't be more opposite. I think they're both very flawed, but their flaws come from a very realistic place. They're both trying to be good people but fuck up along the way--Mickey more so this season. And the supporting cast and "B-stories are also wonderful. Randy and Bertie--poor Bertie. I hope she gets sorted next season.

12 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

So I've finally finished the season, I'm gonna spoil some things so look away anyone who hasn't seen it.


- Bit of a let down with the ending I think, I didn't really enjoy the last episode with the comedy chase scene, felt a little slapstick and just time wasting. 

- The way the 'time away' from each other was handled was good, it felt real how Mickey drifted apart from Gus and moved her attention onto something new (or old ) and shiny. She clearly needs that attention and love and maybe if she's not getting it constantly then she moves on to somewhere else. I felt sorry for Gus at this point, although the way he acted on set is so cringy, hes such a weak self centred man. 

- I enjoyed that they both came to a sort of realisation about themselves by the end of the season. Gus that he's focusing on others to not look at his own problems, and Mickey that she can be a total bitch. However by the end its hard to really feel much sympathy for her, her behaviour in the last 2 episodes was pretty despicable. 

- Hard to know if Gus would forgive her if he ever found out about what she did (he will find out I'm sure), in some ways I think it would only drive him on to loving her more. I can't remember if his ex cheated on him? She did right?

Agreed about the time away. I've been in long distance relationships before and they handled it so well.

The ending wasn't a let down at all for me. It was a great cliffhanger and it left me totally drained emotionally. If I was being melodramatic I'd say that S2 finale broke my heart twice--once because seeing Mickey come along so well in her recovery yet just totally crumble into old bad habits with her love life. She relentlessly was hurting three people throughout the episode: Gus, herself, and her ex Dustin. It was both selfish and a bit kind that she was going through such lengths to lie to Gus. Of course she was being selfish in trying to keep Gus close to her, but she also knew finding out would probably break his heart. And the second heartbreaking aspect of the finale is that once Gus does find out the truth it'll be devastating--especially since he'll now allow himself to be even more fully invested in Mickey since she wants them to be in a serious monogamous relationship. And yes, also because S1 started off with Gus ending his relationship with his long time gf b/c she cheated on him. So that's still technically a fresh wound for Gus.

I'm not sure if Gus will forgive Mickey or not. There are a lot of variables to consider for that one. I can't wait to see how it all turns out in S3 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I couldn't be more opposite. I think they're both very flawed, but their flaws come from a very realistic place. They're both trying to be good people but fuck up along the way--Mickey more so this season. And the supporting cast and "B-stories are also wonderful. Randy and Bertie--poor Bertie. I hope she gets sorted next season.

 

I'd rather watch realistically flawed characters than unrealistic perfect ones. Thats whats so great about the show in my opinion, that it paints people as they often are, which is usually pretty self serving and motivated out of their own self protection and interest. At the same time Mickey and Gus have a lot of endearing qualities, both are funny and often awkward, I enjoy watching them. (its actually odd watching community now, seeing her not as mickey feels like a betrayal)

As for the ending, I guess I was just expecting something a bit more, and I really wanted Mickey to get caught out. It left me in a funny place knowing there is a year where I know Gus is being strung along on a lie like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

 It left me in a funny place knowing there is a year where I know Gus is being strung along on a lie like this. 

She hooked up with a guy while he was away. Really shouldn't be the end of the world, given how unstable their relationship is/has been.

Anyway, i don't expect perfect characters as well, i just found myself not enjoying either of these two leads. Especially Gus, since he's a sniveling needy creep with no real personality. Mickey comes across more as a stereotype than an actual person to me. I doubt ill watch S3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Relic said:

She hooked up with a guy while he was away. Really shouldn't be the end of the world, given how unstable their relationship is/has been.

 

Well he knew what he was getting into so you'd hope he could get over that. But the bigger problem is how far Mickey will go to lie to him about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

But the bigger problem is how far Mickey will go to lie to him about it.

if YOU hooked up with Harry Crane you'd lie about it till your deathbed too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Relic said:

if YOU hooked up with Harry Crane you'd lie about it till your deathbed too!

haha, yes good point. Its odd seeing him like this, because he looks like a real jock in Love, I couldn't figure how what his character was because it didn't reconcile very well with how I view him in Mad Men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'd rather watch realistically flawed characters than unrealistic perfect ones. Thats whats so great about the show in my opinion, that it paints people as they often are, which is usually pretty self serving and motivated out of their own self protection and interest. At the same time Mickey and Gus have a lot of endearing qualities, both are funny and often awkward, I enjoy watching them. (its actually odd watching community now, seeing her not as mickey feels like a betrayal)

As for the ending, I guess I was just expecting something a bit more, and I really wanted Mickey to get caught out. It left me in a funny place knowing there is a year where I know Gus is being strung along on a lie like this. 

Agreed 100% on that first paragraph. Sorry you're not enjoying the saga of Gus-Gus and Mickey D. though, @Relic

Devil's(Mickey's) advocate: is she really stringing Gus along if she genuinely tries to be monogamous and "adult" with Gus post-Farmer's Market? If she really works the 12 steps then she should have to apologize to Dustin/Harry Crane and reveal the truth to Gus in S3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

 Sorry you're not enjoying the saga of Gus-Gus and Mickey D. though, @Relic

 

I actually sort of like the show, as much as you can enjoy a show within which the protagonists are major downers. There is something melodic and peaceful about how Love is shot, edited, and presented to its audience that goes beyond the characters. However, Gus, in particular, just makes me want to curl up and vomit, so no more Love for meeeeeeee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Relic said:

I actually sort of like the show, as much as you can enjoy a show within which the protagonists are major downers. There is something melodic and peaceful about how Love is shot, edited, and presented to its audience that goes beyond the characters. However, Gus, in particular, just makes me want to curl up and vomit, so no more Love for meeeeeeee. 

Lmao I just hate him so much - he wants to be a story teller and yet he can't communicate to save his fucking life - and he's TOTALLY not aware of any of his flaws and is absolutely oblivious/doesn't care that he has just as many as Mickey because he sees her as the fckup and he's the great guy supporting her when really he's a passive aggressive, frustrated, asshole with a hero and Nice Guy complex 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Lmao I just hate him so much - he wants to be a story teller and yet he can't communicate to save his fucking life - and he's TOTALLY not aware of any of his flaws and is absolutely oblivious/doesn't care that he has just as many as Mickey because he sees her as the fckup and he's the great guy supporting her when really he's a passive aggressive, frustrated, asshole with a hero and Nice Guy complex 

I agree, hes really not a good person at all, but thats what keeps me interested. You need to see characters like this sometimes.

He does achieve a little bit of self awareness towards the end which he really had to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I agree, hes really not a good person at all, but thats what keeps me interested. You need to see characters like this sometimes.

He does achieve a little bit of self awareness towards the end which he really had to.

Oh yeah it's good to watch varied characters but instead of cringing at the TV like I do with some characters I anger watch gus hahaha 

Dont get me wrong mickey isn't a peach lol but I actually like her and want her to be okay and to stop fucking up

I just hate how like....gus....kinda....like....talks...to everyone. ..like this???? Soooooooo like maaaaaybe he could like.....stop ....doing that???

Drives me nuts hahaha 

Boy can't communicate at all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2017 at 0:13 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Oh yeah it's good to watch varied characters but instead of cringing at the TV like I do with some characters I anger watch gus hahaha 

Dont get me wrong mickey isn't a peach lol but I actually like her and want her to be okay and to stop fucking up

I just hate how like....gus....kinda....like....talks...to everyone. ..like this???? Soooooooo like maaaaaybe he could like.....stop ....doing that???

Drives me nuts hahaha 

Boy can't communicate at all 

I actually like them both, and hate them both at the same time. Mickey reminds me of too many girls I know, and Gus reminds me of a few guys I know. They both have a wide range of good and bad qualities and thats why I have no problem watching them. Unlike a lot of tv shows where the characters just appear to be sarcastic arseholes to everyone the whole time ( Sunny in Philly reminds me of this), these characters are occasionally vunerable, or nice to each other. Both of them are funny, a little bit nerdish. I especially love Gus' movie theme song nights, I wish I was good with an instrument so I could do that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that movie theme night looks hella fun - would love to do something like that. 

I actually really love Gus' and Mickey's friends for the most part - the really happy cheerful dude and Bertie are both great 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now