The Red Wedding has a big plot hole

ummester

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Mostly its just very difficult to convey that level of detail and have the audience understand the ins and outs of a military campaign. Mostly the audience doesn't care about that level of detail, they just want to know what the story is, and what happens to the characters. Its really only a very select few on internet boards who will obsess about things like this, as if they are important.

Missing info can be ignored, retcons will be noticed in any series.

2 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Not by the majority of people watching. Something like this is unlikely to be noticed by anyone except a small minority.

OK, I dislike being obsessive myself, I just think that retroactive changes are hindrances in enjoying the fiction.

12 hours ago, Ibbison from Ibben said:

The show glosses over almost all the military details. There seems to be an attitude that hardcore fantasy fans get into those parts of the storyline but non-fantasy viewers would be bored to tears by them. It's part of the general trend to avoid as many of the fantasy aspects as possible. The show is basically a combination of political drama crossed with an action/adventure flick, with some CGI dragons added.  They've tried to "de-fantasy" it as much as they can. Thus the absence of much of the backstory, the prophesies, etc.

I fail to see how military details are for fantasy fans. Its actually a non fantasy component and ASOIAF is a bit unique in the fantasy genre for its more realistic approach to military development. and its one reason I like the series, because the non fantasy elements outweigh the fantasy elements.

Personally I think the show doesn't get into the military aspects properly because they simply don't understand it and their basis for medieval warfare is what they ve seen in mainstream films. i.e battles are all about charging the opposing army, and sword fighting is about hitting your enemies sword rather parrying your enemy to block off their movement while making an opening for yourself.

10 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Not by the majority of people watching. Something like this is unlikely to be noticed by anyone except a small minority.

So its not about making a quality show that is consistent and believable. Its all about what you can get away with without the majority of the viewership giving a shit. I think I have a better understanding about your standards now.

10 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

The unfortunate reality is that the manner in which TV shows and movies are made do not lend themselves to be satisfactory for the sort of people who hang out on internet discussion boards.

Way to generalize all Tv shows and movies. There a great number of shows and films that do a great job of including details that more invested viewers can pick up on while more casual viewers need not pay attention to, while maintaining consistency through out the story.

You're probably watching very mediocre shows and films, Which is why you think its the norm.

3 hours ago, Stag_legion said:

Way to generalize all Tv shows and movies. There a great number of shows and films that do a great job of including details that more invested viewers can pick up on while more casual viewers need not pay attention to, while maintaining consistency through out the story.

You're probably watching very mediocre shows and films, Which is why you think its the norm.

I've seen outlander, I'm aware of mediocre tv

My other question with the show Red Wedding is with the secret Lannister spy Talisa Maegyr. She is a high born lady from a noble house in Volantis that went completely missing and no one from her family seems to have cared. Wasn't she still writing and sending letters to her mother? If so, then when the communication stopped her mom would have started asking questions.
And why, in the middle of battle and a strange new person of interest now under your tent, why would you not demand to see what this chic is writing and sending out???

After the changes to Jeyne Westerling and the detail that Talisa was from Volantis, and then in S5 when Tyrion goes there, I was kinda thinking there would finally be a plot connection going on... but nothing?

13 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

My other question with the show Red Wedding is with the secret Lannister spy Talisa Maegyr. She is a high born lady from a noble house in Volantis that went completely missing and no one from her family seems to have cared. Wasn't she still writing and sending letters to her mother? If so, then when the communication stopped her mom would have started asking questions.
And why, in the middle of battle and a strange new person of interest now under your tent, why would you not demand to see what this chic is writing and sending out???

After the changes to Jeyne Westerling and the detail that Talisa was from Volantis, and then in S5 when Tyrion goes there, I was kinda thinking there would finally be a plot connection going on... but nothing?

I loved the comment section on that YT video and it's all the same thing: "you are giving D&D WAY too much credit" :lmao:

19 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

I loved the comment section on that YT video and it's all the same thing: "you are giving D&D WAY too much credit" :lmao:

This video? I have watched it in whole or parts many times. The 14 minute and 22 minute mark are two faves of mine.

23 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Holy shit. That was pretty good :thumbsup:. I have no one around me that wants to talk anything GoT for a while so I have never been able to discuss that "Honeypot" idea with anyone. Soooo, is it true? Was she a honeypot? If she was then I guess the D's also skipped this Jeyne and went straight to Sybell? 

On March 21, 2016 at 4:53 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

Holy shit. That was pretty good :thumbsup:. I have no one around me that wants to talk anything GoT for a while so I have never been able to discuss that "Honeypot" idea with anyone. Soooo, is it true? Was she a honeypot? If she was then I guess the D's also skipped this Jeyne and went straight to Sybell? 

I like the idea that she was a honeytrap, the Talisa cover story was so fake.  If she was indeed a honeytrap this shows a surprising level of sublety on D&D's part. 

7 hours ago, King Of The Slums said:

I like the idea that she was a honeytrap, the Talisa cover story was so fake.  If she was indeed a honeytrap this shows a surprising level of sublety on D&D's part. 

I know. The person who made that video was very patient and very talented. 

If Tv Talisa didn't become pregnant then I would be second guessing the idea. 

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I know. The person who made that video was very patient and very talented. 

If Tv Talisa didn't become pregnant then I would be second guessing the idea. 

Then again, maybe she fell in love with Robb for real but then again, they seemingly lead strongly in the direction of Talisa being a spy but then, they killed her. Who knows, I assume too much and it gets me in trouble with fellow posters. :D However, if she was a spy, she might have pissed off her master by getting pregnant.  In reality, she seems to be a dead end character, pun intended. If she comes from a powerful family in Volantis, surely, they would have learned of her fate and would want justice/revenge but then again if she was just some honeypot set up by the Lannisters, there is no collaberation, like so many other things that are elluded to and then dropped.

40 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Then again, maybe she fell in love with Robb for real but then again, they seemingly lead strongly in the direction of Talisa being a spy but then, they killed her. Who knows, I assume too much and it gets me in trouble with fellow posters. :D However, if she was a spy, she might have pissed off her master by getting pregnant.  In reality, she seems to be a dead end character, pun intended. If she comes from a powerful family in Volantis, surely, they would have learned of her fate and would want justice/revenge but then again if she was just some honeypot set up by the Lannisters, there is no collaberation, like so many other things that are elluded to and then dropped.

^_^ I hear ya on that one :D

Archived