College Basketball: 2016 NCAA Tournament - Rock Chalk!

RedEyedGhost

2 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

And I protest this thread title.  Officially. :P

Ha!  Having dealt with several Kentucky related thread titles lately, my response is simple: suck it!

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

You know REG... speaking from experience... tournament titles that tend to favor a specific team haven't worked out all that well for fans of the team in question around these parts.

Just sayin'.

:crying: 

You can keep that superstitious hooey in Kentucky, nothing I have ever done has affected the way my team has played :P

4 minutes ago, S John said:

Man, the main thing I wanted was for there to be NO WVU related 'storylines'.  Just get into the tourney, play who is in front of us, and hopefully advance toward another faceless opponent with no little to no pre-existing history between the teams.

Instead we got the complete opposite of that.  :lol:

A rd. 1 game against a coach who is a protege of our coach and plays the same unusual style.

A possible rd. 2 game agaisnt WVU's former head coach.  (Beilein)

A possible rd. 3 match-up agaisnt Xavier, Huggs' old rivals from his Cincy days.

AND the aforementioned possible Rd. 4 re-match against Kentucky.  Which isn't just a re-match, but also that Huggs and Calipari are friends or whatever.  

Come on now, John, you know the committee doesn't care at all about storylines.  They tell us that every year.  And if you can't trust their word, what can you trust? 

Totally off-topic, but I did secure no less than 8 front-row seats for the UK Football spring game when they "went on sale" (for free) yesterday, Because I'm one of like 5 people in this state that isn't only thinking about basketball this time of year.  

4 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I was really shocked they didn't find a way to squeeze Duke in there as well (I'm sure Louisville would be in the East too if they weren't busy trying to UNC the NCAA with their heads buried in the sand).

With the build of WVU this year I would MUCH prefer to play Duke than Kentucky, considering y'all are both 4's.  But I guess they couldn't put UNC and Duke in the same Region.  

7 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I do believe I recall a couple of 40-0 thread title boasts that turned out... less than desirable.  

Yeah...

But we've got Monk, Fox, SKJ, Gabriel, and Bam coming in!  Time to resurrect those things! 

:leaving: 

Just now, RedEyedGhost said:

Come on now, John, you know the committee doesn't care at all about storylines.  They tell us that every year.  And if you can't trust their word, what can you trust? 

Haha, they are full of it!  It's pretty obvious.  Indiana and Kentucky in rd. 2?  Come on!  :lol:

Anyway, I guess that in order to be charitable to the committee, in the case of WVU it is probably kind of difficult to place them without there being some kind of storyline somewhere.  I say that because we were in the Big East for many years so we obviously have lots of history with those teams, we have a coach who has been around forever and has connections all over the sport, and with the double round robin in the Big 12 and having played OU and KU in the conference tournament for a third time - it kind of limits where they could put WVU.

5 minutes ago, S John said:

With the build of WVU this year I would MUCH prefer to play Duke than Kentucky, considering y'all are both 4's.  But I guess they couldn't put UNC and Duke in the same Region.  

My only solace is that perhaps this year we have enough 3-point shooters to hang with ya'll.  I'll be happy if we make it that far (yeah I still remember 2010 as if we haven't played since then ;) )

Just now, Ded As Ned said:

My only solace is that perhaps this year we have enough 3-point shooters to hang with ya'll.  I'll be happy if we make it that far

Yea, likewise.  Well sort of.  I would be happy to make the Elite 8, even if we lose.  I just hope the game is, uh, a little closer than the last time.

1 minute ago, Ded As Ned said:

My only solace is that perhaps this year we have enough 3-point shooters to hang with ya'll.  I'll be happy if we make it that far (yeah I still remember 2010 as if we haven't played since then ;) )

I'd take Tyler and Murray against the press.

Now Briscoe... well, if you foul him, that's just a turnover.  :bang: 

13 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah...

But we've got Monk, Fox, SKJ, Gabriel, and Bam coming in!  Time to resurrect those things! 

:leaving: 

:tantrum: STFU! I will personally make sure I start every new (neutral ) thread title between the end of this season and the end of next to avoid such shenanigans.  I'm not superstitious at all. 

9 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

:tantrum: STFU! I will personally make sure I start every new (neutral ) thread title between the end of this season and the end of next to avoid such shenanigans.  I'm not superstitious at all. 

Totally kidding.  I wouldn't do that... Unless we get Bolden and Ulis comes back! Then all bets are off!!! :thumbsup: 

14 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Totally kidding.  I wouldn't do that... Unless we get Bolden and Ulis comes back! Then all bets are off!!! :thumbsup: 

Oh I know.  But you still WOULD do that ;)  even if it's in jest.  Bad mojo.  Let's see what happens to Kansas now and maybe I'll sway you to my superstitious line of thinking :P

WTF is this TRU tv shit for the FIrst Four?  Totally ruined my tv viewing for the evening... not paying an extra $10 for one month just to watch games I don't really care about.  :bs:

ETA: Fuck I just did a bit of research and the contracts start alternating the sweet 16 through Finals between CBS and TBS in alternating years.... starting this year.  So much for my solidarity in keeping things available to most who don't pay for the high-end channel networks (in my area anyway). 

36 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

WTF is this TRU tv shit for the FIrst Four?  Totally ruined my tv viewing for the evening... not paying an extra $10 for one month just to watch games I don't really care about.  :bs:

ETA: Fuck I just did a bit of research and the contracts start alternating the sweet 16 through Finals between CBS and TBS in alternating years.... starting this year.  So much for my solidarity in keeping things available to most who don't pay for the high-end channel networks (in my area anyway). 

Where've you been the past four years?!!?

DOOLEY!!  Hmm, this offense and defense seems familiar.  It will be interesting watching how Roy Williams does against it, because he hasn't faired too well against another coach that plays the same way.  I doubt will see the upset of upsets, but it will be one to keep an eye on.  Both of these teams are pretty careless with the ball.

46 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

DOOLEY!!  Hmm, this offense and defense seems familiar.  It will be interesting watching how Roy Williams does against it, because he hasn't faired too well against another coach that plays the same way.  I doubt will see the upset of upsets, but it will be one to keep an eye on.  Both of these teams are pretty careless with the ball.

I think if UNC's shots aren't falling, the game could be better than some think.

Ready for Vandy v WSU.

S-E-C

S-E-C

S-E-C!!!!

Oh wait... We don't do that for basketball. My bad.

Kevin Stallings rocking the subconjunctival hemorrhage at the First Four.  Bold look.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I think if UNC's shots aren't falling, the game could be better than some think.

Ready for Vandy v WSU.

S-E-C

S-E-C

S-E-C!!!!

Oh wait... We don't do that for basketball. My bad.

I'm pretty sure the rest of the SEC does, you're just not included.

7 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Kevin Stallings rocking the subconjunctival hemorrhage at the First Four.  Bold look.

They should all just give into reality and start chanting "Go Big Blue!"

11 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

I was really shocked they didn't find a way to squeeze Duke in there as well (I'm sure Louisville would be in the East too if they weren't busy trying to UNC the NCAA with their heads buried in the sand).

no, they needed to give Duke a break and get them the best chance to move up they could without being too obvious.

Brackets are in....even with rampant homerism I don't think there's a repeat.

12 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Oh yes, I can attest to that due to a certain game @ Florida.  Even moreso than playing like dogshit and losing the game, the S-E-C chant infuriated me and led to a lengthy and colorful string of profanity in the S John household directed at a certain region's insistence to attempt to exorcise their Civil War defeat via an insufferable show of regional unity during collegiate sporting events.   Bonus irony points that most of the players are black men.  

Archived