College Basketball: 2016 NCAA Tournament - Rock Chalk!

RedEyedGhost

It's hard to not go chalkity chalk in the pick-em, because this year's so crazy that anybody could be upset at nearly any time.  I'll add the quote with the link to the pool below, because the new forum won't let me put it in this post.  And I started a thread in Forum Games, so we might get a few more participants (of course one of them will likely win with some crazy ass pick).

I think I'll have my kids pick again this year, if ever there was a year for random mind-boggling upsets, I think this is it.  Of course I'll say that and then the chalk will prevail, but we'll see.  

And I protest this thread title.  Officially. :P

5 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Straight up, weighted, slotted, or what?

If I understand your question correctly... it's the standard scoring of every round has a total of 32 points.  First round picks are worth 1 point each, second round are worth 2 points, third round is 4 points each, fourth round are 8 points each,  etc. 

3 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

If I understand your question correctly... it's the standard scoring of every round has a total of 32 points.  First round picks are worth 1 point each, second round are worth 2 points, third round is 4 points each, etc. 

So no limitations on favourites or bonus for underdogs, that kinda thing? Slotted, to explain, some play where you are required to pick one of each seeding, one 1 seed, 1 2 seed, etc. All the way down.

So this is just straight up, greater value per round? (Not complaining. :) )

You know REG... speaking from experience... tournament titles that tend to favor a specific team haven't worked out all that well for fans of the team in question around these parts.

Just sayin'.

:crying: 

Just now, Rhom said:

You know REG... speaking from experience... tournament titles that tend to favor a specific team haven't worked out all that well for fans of the team in question around these parts.

Just sayin'.

What has worked out for Jayhawk championships? 

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

He's injured.

If Bradley Beal can come back from the dead, then surely Chalmers can get a couple of minutes in with the Jayhawks this March.  He's younger than Perry Ellis.

ETA:  Perhaps I should say that the Beal comment is a joke from last season's NBA Playoff thread.

1 minute ago, James Arryn said:

I was confused on Beal.

Re: Ellis, poor guy's got old man hair, but he's really only about 28 or 29.

JackBauer24 declared that Beal was out for the playoffs after he turned his ankle.  He returned the next game.  Posters took his usual hyperbole and ran with it.

Just now, Rhom said:

JackBauer24 declared that Beal was out for the playoffs after he turned his ankle.  He returned the next game.  Posters took his usual hyperbole and ran with it.

Ah, yeah, JackBauer24. It all makes sense now. 

Thanks for setting it up Ned.  

Been reading a bit here and there.  Trendy picks amongst media pundits seem to be split between -

1. WVU makes it to the Elite Eight / Final 4  

2. WVU gets upset in the first round by Stephen F. Austin

Either could happen of course.  It seems like SFA is perhaps a bit under-seeded as they come in at #33 according to KenPom.  The other #14 seeds are waaaaaay lower ranked than that.  Plus SFA likes to create turnovers and press.  WVU turns the ball over a lot without the other teams help as the pace WVU creates inevitably gets the best of us sometimes.  They have quick guards, are used to the press, and probably shoot a little better than we do too.   SFA's coach is a Huggins protege.  SFA has won something like 20 straight games!  I think that is the longest streak in the country.  We get sloppy and they get hot - anything can happen.  Can't tell me the committee didn't decide that putting the only two pressing teams in the field together would be fun, giving WVU a little taste of our own medicine.  So I can definitely see why WVU / SFA is not an outlandish upset pick and it does seem like a pretty tough first round draw to give to the first #3 which irritates me slightly. 

With that out of the way, it is still a game the Mountaineers should win.  WVU is a top 10 team and even if they are given a harder first round draw than possibly they should've been, SFA is a team that WVU should beat.   WVU is a much bigger squad than them.  If we can stay calm and feed the ball to Devin Williams - SFA will learn to fear the goggles.  They won't have an answer for our size inside and we should eat them alive on the glass.  

Anyway, if we DO make it past the SFA juggernaut then it's Notre Dame / Michigan.  Have watched both teams a couple of times this year and both are dangerous.  I slightly prefer to get Notre Dame.  Reason being, they remind me a bit of Iowa State.  Good shooting team, but not much coming off the bench and therefore WVU is a bad match up for them - on paper anyway.  Unless they have a ridiculous shooting day, I'm thinking WVU wears down ND over the course of 40 minutes with our deep bench.  

Not sure how I feel about the possibility of a rematch with Kentucky if both teams are fortunate enough to make it that far.  Of course they are in the same region as us... AGAIN. 

2 minutes ago, S John said:

Not sure how I feel about the possibility of a rematch with Kentucky if both teams are fortunate enough to make it that far.  Of course they are in the same region as us... AGAIN. 

Now SJohn... you know the committee never looks at things like that.  :rolleyes: 

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Now SJohn... you know the committee never looks at things like that.  :rolleyes: 

Man, the main thing I wanted was for there to be NO WVU related 'storylines'.  Just get into the tourney, play who is in front of us, and hopefully advance toward another faceless opponent with little to no pre-existing history between the teams.

Instead we got the complete opposite of that.  :lol:

A rd. 1 game against a coach who is a protege of our coach and plays the same unusual style.

A possible rd. 2 game agaisnt WVU's former head coach.  (Beilein)

A possible rd. 3 match-up agaisnt Xavier, Huggs' old rivals from his Cincy days.

AND the aforementioned possible Rd. 4 re-match against Kentucky.  Which isn't just a re-match, but also that Huggs and Calipari are friends or whatever.  

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Just sayin'.

I do believe I recall a couple of 40-0 thread title boasts that turned out... less than desirable.  

Archived