Harrison Ford to return as Dr. Jones...

Rhom

Producer Frank Marshall confirms that it will be a continuation of the Jones story moving forward from Crystal Skull.

Don't know that I consider that to be big news; but teh intrawebz seems worked up about it today.  :dunno:  I always figured the story would pick up sometime after Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Space Aliens.  This article did catch my attention when it said Marshall "reiterated that Ford will not be recast as Indiana Jones, believing that the character is so iconic, only one actor can play him."  So that's potentially good news moving forward.  Ford will be 77 when this movie premieres though.  :stunned: 

Between this, the upcoming Blade Runner sequel, and of course The Force Awakens, Ford must really want a massive nest egg to leave to his kids and grandkids. He's never shown much interest in returning to these iconic roles before; but then Crystal Skull happened and thanks to his profit-sharing deal he ended up with almost $90 million from it. He also had some sort of profit-sharing deal on TFA, so sky's the limit on how much he made/will make off that one. I bet he'll have the same deal for this and for Blade Runner.

Seems like he's aiming to become the first actor to become a billionaire just from acting.

• 2 months later...

Indiana Jones 5 is a "Requel."  Whatever the hell that means.

In a long interview with THR, Disney CEO Robert Iger says that while the return of the Indiana Jones franchise won’t spawn an extended series of annual movies like the revival of Star Wars has, the plan is to make more than one new Indy movie. Iger agreed with the interviewer’s description of the 2019 movie as a “requel” or rebooting sequel, but didn’t commit to what form the series would take thereafter, or whether the series might eventually center on someone other than Ford (either as Indiana Jones or a different character).

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

Indiana Jones 5 is a "Requel."  Whatever the hell that means.

It's likely that they will get rid of Mutt and introduce a new kid.  Then it will 100% turn into a sequel every year.  It just won't have Spielberg, Ford, Marshall, or Lucas on them.  Disney is all about the green and they won't let that opportunity pass. 

Fountain of Youth + Time Machine = Rebooting Franchise in late 1920's

:)

I'm still not sold on Indiana Jones running around with a fedora in the 60's or 70's. The character works so much better pre-WWII.

I kind of hate myself for admitting it, but I would watch the shit out of a Marvel Indian Jones crossover.

I was never super into Indian Jones, but I like it well enough to give this a chance. I wasn't one who was so turned off from Chrystal Skull that I wouldn't watch another movie (more just found it to be forgettable, can't remember much of anything other than the ending being really dumb), but I think that this could be really interesting.

I would love for them to go in a  The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles direction. Maybe thrown in some flashbacks from his youth in this next film for a nice eventual transition to a younger Indiana Jones.

13 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Didn't his Dad die even after drinking from it too? 

I guess it's not internally inconsistent that aging occurs, even the knight guarding it was old and worn when Indy came along, although it goes against the "shall have everlasting life"-bit. Maybe you have to drink from it regularly to stop the aging process, but over the centuries the knight missed a minute here and there on the schedule. Still, Indy should have had at least the same effect as Tom Hanks in The Green Mile, I feel.

Maybe the effect stops once you pass the great seal, and the knight is old because he went outside to carve out Al Khazneh.:dunno:

12 minutes ago, lacuna of Bohemia said:

I guess it's not internally inconsistent that aging occurs, even the knight guarding it was old and worn when Indy came along, although it goes against the "shall have everlasting life"-bit. Maybe you have to drink from it regularly to stop the aging process, but over the centuries the knight missed a minute here and there on the schedule. Still, Indy should have had at least the same effect as Tom Hanks in The Green Mile, I feel.

Maybe the effect stops once you pass the great seal, and the knight is old because he went outside to carve out Al Khazneh.:dunno:

I think that's why. I vaguely remember that there was some exchange between the knight and Indy regarding this....

47 minutes ago, trickster said:

I think that's why. I vaguely remember that there was some exchange between the knight and Indy regarding this....

Which makes little sense WRT Senior's gunshot wound. Once he passed the seal, wouldn't it open up again?

1 minute ago, lacuna of Bohemia said:

Which makes little sense WRT Senior's gunshot wound. Once he passed the seal, wouldn't it open up again?

May be that's why he is a photograph in Crystal Skull :lmao: 

Yeah.... I got nothing..But I am pretty sure that the effect wears off after you cross the seal; that's why the old dude is trapped...

13 hours ago, trickster said:

May be that's why he is a photograph in Crystal Skull :lmao: 

Yeah.... I got nothing..But I am pretty sure that the effect wears off after you cross the seal; that's why the old dude is trapped...

I thought you just couldn't take the grail across the seal

Pretty sure the quote is "That is the boundary and the price of eternal life."

I always interpreted it to mean that going outside the temple you would age normally again.

56 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I always interpreted it to mean that going outside the temple you would age normally again.

I FEEL VINDICATED.....

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

That's it exactly.  Plus they reference the other two knights who found the grail but left the temple in Last Crusade.  They both died (normally and at least one of there tombs was lit on fire and filled with rats.)

Archived