U.S Elections, The Ides of March; Et tu Ohio?

Bonesy

It is a sad state of affairs when a portion of the Democratic electorate is actively hoping that the most popular Democratic candidate will get indicted on a bullshit charge so as to clear a path for a less popular candidate.

45 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

It is a sad state of affairs when a portion of the Democratic electorate is actively hoping that the most popular Democratic candidate will get indicted on a bullshit charge so as to clear a path for a less popular candidate.

Problem is, that BS charge is probably more serious than the one that saw her husband impeached.  That same charge also torpedoed other major political careers.  FBI steps out of the woodwork and announces it's serious, Clinton is in big trouble. 

To me, it seems Clinton is being given a pass on the basis of status based privilege.  Ordinary rank and file types who do similar things get branded traitors and hunted to the ends of the earth, if need be.  Clinton, though, like 'Scooter Libby' before her, has sufficient status to get a pass. 

Come on, Sanders vs. Trump would be awesome. The ruling class would be madder than a herd of bulls at a comparative flag display. There would be one or more "third party" establishment candidates (despite the fact that they'll necessarily miss some states do to ballot access issues). We'd have a meaningful choice for a change.

Can you blame them if they 'vote Trump?'

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/good-jobs-goodbye-a-factory%e2%80%99s-closure-sows-seeds-of-anger/ar-BBqFudi?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnclassic

INDIANAPOLIS — The fuzzy video, shot by a worker on the floor of a Carrier factory here in the American heartland last month, captured the raging national debate over trade and the future of the working class in 3 minutes 32 seconds.

“This is strictly a business decision,” a Carrier executive tells employees, describing how their 1,400 jobs making furnaces and heating equipment will be sent to Mexico. Workers there typically earn about $19 a day — less than what many on the assembly line here make in an hour. As boos and curses erupt from the crowd, the executive says, “Please quiet down.”

What came next was nothing of the kind.

Within hours of being posted on Facebook, the video went viral. Three days after Carrier’s Feb. 10 announcement, Donald J. Trump seized on the video in a Republican presidential debate and made Carrier’s move to Mexico a centerpiece of his stump speeches attacking free trade.

52 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Problem is, that BS charge is probably more serious than the one that saw her husband impeached.  That same charge also torpedoed other major political careers.  FBI steps out of the woodwork and announces it's serious, Clinton is in big trouble. 

To me, it seems Clinton is being given a pass on the basis of status based privilege.  Ordinary rank and file types who do similar things get branded traitors and hunted to the ends of the earth, if need be.  Clinton, though, like 'Scooter Libby' before her, has sufficient status to get a pass. 

Funny, I don't recall Bill Clinton being indicted. He was impeached, which is a very, very different thing, and not at all analogous to the current situation. I'm not aware of any other political careers being torpedoed by private email servers. But maybe you were talking about sex scandals there, in which case, what's that got to do with Clinton's email server? I'm also not aware of any "ordinary rank and file types" being branded traitors or being hunted to the ends of the earth over private email servers. But I'm willing to be educated, so please point me in the direction of these fugitive traitors. Also, Scooter Libby intentionally outed an active covert CIA agent to a reporter, which is a vastly different thing than even the most outrageous claims about what Clinton did.

It seems strange, what with email being a ubiquitous, almost outdated technology today, but we should remember that only two Secretaries of State had ever used email in an official capacity prior to Clinton. Colin Powell used a private email address. And I know, people will say it's different because he didn't use a private server, but can someone please explain to me how Powell's AOL account was more secure than Clinton's private server? Condoleezza Rice didn't have a private account, but since she rarely used email herself her official emails were often forwarded to the private accounts of her aides. 

Yeah, nothing will have the bourgeoise shaking in their boots like an ivy leaguer who inherited the family's multi-million business and questionably avoided service in Nam. It's been like years since one of those was in the WH.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Myshkin,

"Impeached" is the equivent of "indicted".  Pres. Clinton was aquitted by the Senate and as such completed his term in office.

Bill Clinton was impeached by a partisan congress, not indicted following and FBI investigation. I stand by my assertion that the two are not analogous.

I thought Cruz was gonna win in Arizona, but having seen some polls I'm not sure. Does this strike anyone else as a perfect example of how the GOP has changed? This is the state that has been electing John McCain for decades, it going to Trump I would say is rather dramatic. Or if you prefer a slightly deeper analysis: https://promethiumwings.wordpress.com/2016/03/20/the-primaries-to-come/

Why would Cruz win Arizona? He had never gotten more than 25% of the vote there and Trump has been leading by double digits since January (see the list of polls at Five Thirty Eight). Also, if Trump's rhetoric on immigration would be popular anywhere, it's probably Arizona.

Speaking of Arizona, the anti-Trump protesters there decided to block a road:

The protesters in Arizona parked vehicles sideways on Shea Boulevard, blocking both lanes of traffic into Fountain Hills, Arizona, where Trump held a rally Saturday afternoon, Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Deputy Joaquin Enriquez told CNN.

Enriquez described Shea Boulevard as the main artery into the area and the protesters' actions were causing motorists to drive into oncoming traffic as they tried to get around them. Traffic was backed up for miles due to the blockage.

Very nice of them to create a traffic jam which affects not only Trump's supporters, but also anyone else driving through the area. For some reason, they also protested in Manhattan (same link above):

While the protest in Fountain Hills was underway, crowds of demonstrators gathered in Manhattan to march from Columbus Circle near Central Park to Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue.

A small skirmish erupted when protesters started throwing water bottles at police, who were trying to keep them from impeding traffic. A handful of protesters were pepper-sprayed and some were arrested.

Not sure what Manhattan has to do with anything given that the New York primary is not until April. I guess Trump Tower is there? Note also that CNN has given up on portraying the protesters as peaceful -- hard to do so when they throw water bottles at police.

4 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

It's nothing but delusion, and this is coming from a Sanders supporter. It just ain't happening.

Yup. But you will see it circulating around and with additional ridiculous scenarios like all the Super Delegates all switching to Sanders side to push him over the top in total delegates or pledged delegates switching sides and all that kind of crap. Some of it is currently being circulated by Sanders own campaign.

Because, of course, Sanders wants to run to the end and admitting the primary is over and he doesn't have a chance means the money dries up and so he has to end his campaign. As long as he can convince his supporters he totally has a chance via ridiculous hypotheticals that have virtually no chance of happening, he can keep pulling in the money and so keep running.

3 hours ago, Guess who's back said:

What is going to happen with all the money that was donated to Sanders? 

He's gonna keep spending it on campaigning.

Once he finally drops out or loses at the convention or whatever the money goes various places to pay off debts and the like and there's a bunch of rules about where it can be spent and basically it's complicated.

Funny, I don't recall Bill Clinton being indicted. He was impeached, which is a very, very different thing, and not at all analogous to the current situation. I'm not aware of any other political careers being torpedoed by private email servers. But maybe you were talking about sex scandals there, in which case, what's that got to do with Clinton's email server? I'm also not aware of any "ordinary rank and file types" being branded traitors or being hunted to the ends of the earth over private email servers. But I'm willing to be educated, so please point me in the direction of these fugitive traitors. Also, Scooter Libby intentionally outed an active covert CIA agent to a reporter, which is a vastly different thing than even the most outrageous claims about what Clinton did.

The one I had in mind was Powell.

2 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Once he finally drops out or loses at the convention or whatever the money goes various places to pay off debts and the like and there's a bunch of rules about where it can be spent and basically it's complicated.

Can any of the money be funneled to Clinton's campaign or is it completely tied up? Not that she really needs it but it'd be kind of nice.

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I can't blame them for being pissed, but yeah, I can blame them for wanting to vote for a guy who hires immigrants with work visas to work his properties, has a clothing line that is made in China, and even has the gall to sell Make America Great Again hats that are made in China. Why anyone would believe that "President Trump" is going to prevent their job from being outsourced or is interested in providing Americans with $22 dollar an hour jobs is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

The one I had in mind was Powell.

The one what? His email situation ended his political career? Or his emails got him branded a traitor? Or both? I'm not sure either of those is true, btw.

1 hour ago, Shryke said:

Because, of course, Sanders wants to run to the end and admitting the primary is over and he doesn't have a chance means the money dries up and so he has to end his campaign. As long as he can convince his supporters he totally has a chance via ridiculous hypotheticals that have virtually no chance of happening, he can keep pulling in the money and so keep running.

Clinton stayed in in 2008 until June using the hypothetical of Bobby Kennedy. Sanders isn't going to win any more than she did then, but if he wants to stay in the race a little longer, whatever.

Clinton stayed in in 2008 until June using the hypothetical of Bobby Kennedy. Sanders isn't going to win any more than she did then, but if he wants to stay in the race a little longer, whatever.

I guess. It seemed like she was still within striking distance until at least June. By that same token Sanders should have bowed out last month. 

1 hour ago, IamMe90 said:

Can any of the money be funneled to Clinton's campaign or is it completely tied up? Not that she really needs it but it'd be kind of nice.

I don't believe so. He might be able to funnel it into the Democratic Party pot though for downticket races and the like. I'm not 100% on that though cause I can't remember the rules about it all.

Also, he's not done that so far this campaign afaik. He's still running alot like an independent really.

Archived