Which character would make the best spouse for Sansa Stark?

TimJames

Sansa Stark has had bad luck. Between Crazy Joffery, Crazy Cersei, Crazy Aunt Lysa, and Scheming Backstabber Littlefinger, she has been in a constant parade of misfortune.

With that in mind, look at all the characters in the series. Which one would she be happiest with if married to, and which one would would treat her the best?

For the sake of this thread, assume that age is no issue (Sansa will either get a younger version of Mr. Right [if he's too old] or an older version [if he's too young]), oaths are no issue (pretend none of the orders prevent marriage or children), and gender is no issue (assume Westeros adopted progressive marriage laws overnight).

With this in mind, which character would make the best spouse for Sansa Stark?

Can we assume they aren't previously married too?  If that is no issue then it seems like it would be Garlan Tyrell.  He is the "truest knight" and an overall good person from what the book has shown.  She would be happy.  

If we look at the true future of the story, I actually think she'd be very happy with (f)Aegon (which has somewhat been possibly preluded to with Tourney at Ashford) and he would not mistreat her.

Podrick Payne of course

She could count herself lucky if she got him: in the books he has a crush on her, as Tyrion sees.

Pod  is nice, brave  and loyal, not stupid and of nearly the same age. Sansa would be very lucky if she ended with him.

But that kind of reasonable ending is very unlikely.

To say someone not already mentioned, Trystane Martell, on the non aggressive, non menacing partner line.

Some of the suggested above are good: Garlan and Willas Tyrell would be of her station and for what we know decent persons, she would probably appreciate most Garlan in the first weeks and monthes.

Would she actually like Trystane, if she could chose?
I'm not sure, we don't know enough on the boy.

2 hours ago, Woman of War said:

Podrick Payne of course

She could count herself lucky if she got him: in the books he has a crush on her, as Tyrion sees.

Pod  is nice, brave  and loyal, not stupid and of nearly the same age. Sansa would be very lucky if she ended with him.

But that kind of reasonable ending is very unlikely.

Too lowborn for the her.

Also, she doesn't even notice him. Sansa would always look for the most handsome highborn young man. Podrick is only young. And also too shy.

8 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

Harry the Heir is actually not a bad match for Sansa.  Yes, "Harry" seems like a bit of a Robert type, but Sansa could cause a whole bunch of trouble as the Lady of the Vale.

I have this thing for trying to pinpoint the things that differ in the show from the books. Like how Sansa last season is clearly acting the part of Jeyne Poole in the books or  how Jorah catching greyscale in place of JonCon.

This makes me suspect Myranda in the show might act as Saffron in the books, as her role doesn't really correlates with any in the books.

1 hour ago, Hoppy Hour said:

Too lowborn for the her.

Also, she doesn't even notice him. Sansa would always look for the most handsome highborn young man. Podrick is only young. And also too shy.

I didn't say that Sansa would ever want what would be good for her.

So, Jaime sprung to mind initially. His whole redemption arc, has for me, been one of the most powerful aspects of the series; Martin has taken Jamie on a powerful journey,  transforming him, against all odds, into a sympathetic character. Ironically, the Jaime we now have - crippled, humbled, his glory dimmed - is the true kind of knight who could treat Sansa with honour and dignity, as evidenced by his respect for Brienne. 

But.

It doesn't work on a romantic level. I completely agree with the folks here who've pointed out that Jamie sees Sansa as a girl, not a woman, and so it would just feel wrong. Jamie could be her guide, companion, defender, champion, friend...but not her lover. So, not Jamie, then. Turns out I have no real idea after all! (F)Aegon, maybe? Who knows!

Archived