Person of Interest - Only 13 Episodes Left [SPOILERS]

lady narcissa

Well they've done it.  Person of Interest will be canceled after this final season.  I'm really pissed off about this as it was my absolute favorite tv show these days and I think it could have had a solid run for a few more years.  But I guess 9-10 millions viewers an episode isn't sufficient for CBS so bye bye.  Whatever.  I'm just glad that they planned for this and we will get an actually ending to the series instead of a cliff hanger.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/03/16/person-of-interest-coming-to-an-end-with-season-5

Anyway it begins May 3rd and then will run through the episodes as quickly as possible with two a week.  At least they aren't burying it on Friday nights.

Yeah, the show felt like it had legs and CBS have ridiculously high standards if the show's viewing figures aren't good enough. Put that on most other networks and they'd be making spin-offs.

It'd be almost fitting if the show moves onto an internet channel. The way they are burning through the season 2 episodes a week may even highlight how the show could work as a netflix binge release (although on network tv putting something on twice a week in the summer shows contempt and will be a self-fulfilling prophecy of ratings dropping)

All that aside I have high hopes the show will go out with a bang. CBS at least told them it was most likely going to be their last. I think most things including the current big arc will be wrapped up leaving just enough room to come back with a fresh start/new threat.

I'll be interested to see what the creators do as a follow up

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Yeah, the show felt like it had legs and CBS have ridiculously high standards if the show's viewing figures aren't good enough. Put that on most other networks and they'd be making spin-offs.

It'd be almost fitting if the show moves onto an internet channel. The way they are burning through the season 2 episodes a week may even highlight how the show could work as a netflix binge release (although on network tv putting something on twice a week in the summer shows contempt and will be a self-fulfilling prophecy of ratings dropping)

All that aside I have high hopes the show will go out with a bang. CBS at least told them it was most likely going to be their last. I think most things including the current big arc will be wrapped up leaving just enough room to come back with a fresh start/new threat.

I'll be interested to see what the creators do as a follow up

Well, Jonathan Nolan is failing miserably with Westworld right now so there is that...

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:32 PM, lady narcissa said:

Well they've done it.  Person of Interest will be canceled after this final season.  I'm really pissed off about this as it was my absolute favorite tv show these days and I think it could have had a solid run for a few more years.  But I guess 9-10 millions viewers an episode isn't sufficient for CBS so bye bye.  Whatever. 

And Supergirl has 6.2M view its finale, but it's getting a second season :tantrum: 

once you get over CBS doing this to the show,

it will be kind of an awesome viewing experience,

faster than regular scheduling but slower than season-DVD binge watching.

it might be just right for keeping the tension going but also letting it all be meaningful, like how in Goldie Locks and the 3 Bears she found the porridge with the perfect temperature. 

Yeah, while I am still incredibly pissed off about its cancellation, I've made some peace with it.  Other than POI my absolute favorite tv shows have been Alias, Lost, and Fringe.  Both Alias and Fringe were cancelled and got short last seasons and their finales were satisfying for me...Fringe especially.  Lost on the other hand (if I am remember this correctly) was allowed to decide when to end on its own and they had a pretty full season of episodes with which to end things and it pretty much sucked.  So I am going to take comfort with that and remind myself a full season of episodes doesn't make for better television.  Hopefully at least this way we get an incredibly tight and fabulous blowout of 14 episodes with POI.

But I'm going to need something to fill the void after this.

• 2 weeks later...

I am beyond ready for this.  I can't believe it's been a whole year since Season 4 ended.  I just did a fast tracked rewatch of Season 4 today.  Some really phenomenal episodes.

I'm curious to see what recurring characters they manage to squeeze into this last season.  Is Control gone or is she still lingering in a hole somewhere?

I hope the quality isn't also suffering because of Nolan's involvement with "westworld". It sounds like that show has been taking up a lot of his time.

2 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I am beyond ready for this.  I can't believe it's been a whole year since Season 4 ended.  I just did a fast tracked rewatch of Season 4 today.  Some really phenomenal episodes.

I'm curious to see what recurring characters they manage to squeeze into this last season.  Is Control gone or is she still lingering in a hole somewhere?

I think I only watched last season at the beginning of the year and it feels like I've been waiting forever!

18 hours ago, red snow said:

I think I only watched last season at the beginning of the year and it feels like I've been waiting forever!

I rewatched the entire series around the start of the year, and it's been a Bear of a wait.  I really hope they can go out on a high note. 

29 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

it's been a Bear of a wait.

Ha ha!  Bear will be facing some competition tonight.  Apparently Carrie Preston and Michael Emerson's real life dog, Chumley, will be making an appearance in the episode.  Along with Carrie herself.  Curious to see if its another flashback with her or if we get to see her in the present.

Man after so many years of Michael Emerson being awesome on television with Lost and POI, I hope he gets something new and fabulous soon.

I think Michael Emerson staring at computer screens has to be the weirdest, most brilliant bits of acting to come on TV. Another GREAT performance from him here. A good episode. I'm optimistic we'll get a good final season.

47 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

I think Michael Emerson staring at computer screens has to be the weirdest, most brilliant bits of acting to come on TV. Another GREAT performance from him here. A good episode. I'm optimistic we'll get a good final season.

That's a very good point. I'm trying to think if there are any new shows coming up that could benefit from his talents? He certainly adds something to whichever show he's on and can clearly do good and bad with ease.

I thought last night was a pretty good start to the final season. At first, when I heard this would be the last, I was really bummed. This has been such a good show. But, now that I've had time to process, I think it's for the best. This is probably the right time to wrap things ups on a high note. I'm not sure how much longer POI could have kept going on its own without getting stale.

I'm guessing there won't be many "number of the week" episodes this time around?

It was pretty scary to think 300 PS4s could run a supercomputer. That means we have the capacity for a lot more than two super AIs!

It was surprising how touching the scene was with the machine simply stating "If I have no memories how can i learn from my mistakes...how can i remember you". Again helped by emerson's acting.

Can someone remind me of what happened with the thread about the machine printing out its code everyday and then having it reloaded every morning? I think it was a season 2 episode but I can't remember when it started doing so and whether the project was closed down. I can't even remember if Finch and co were even aware of it doing so? Seems like someone erases my memory too! Anyway since that episode I've always taken it as the Machine does remember everything from day to day? Please correct me if I'm wrong - it's a pretty important detail to get wrong.

2 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

I feel like this should be a spoiler thread, shouldn't it?

We should be able to discuss the first episode in here without spoiler tags, right?

Once it has spoilers in the thread title. It would make sense though - I can't see many people dropping in on the season 5 thread otherwise.

I just remembered one line I had slight issue with this episode which was something like "it could solve global warming and destruction of the planet or it could kill mankind". I'm not sure the two things are mutually exclusive. Nowadays it seems more likely that an AI intent on saving the planet and mankind would probably go in for some horrific cull for our own "good".

yes, Samaritan must limit the humping of the humans and will decide to install Robo-Chastity-Belts on All Dudes  (C.B.O.A.D.)      It is known.   That's not a spoiler, though.   Because every viewer sees that coming.   (Looks like we actually do need something to step in and do that to us, as we're not stopping the population explosion on our own.)

lots of waiting for the premiere, then lots of shooting in the episode.  so much shooting.   I was thinking the good guys were on the rebound now, but then I looked at the next episode title and it's SNAFU.   ....Uh-oh?

about that old deleted memory plotline

(with the machine's memories being typed back in every day by that data entry corporation)----- I believe that ended when the machine was "set free."   Root was angry about that and trying to set it free, and it looked like Finch was against her, but then at the end he revealed to her, "Sorry, I already did. [set it free].  He just couldn't talk to her or anyone about it cuz it was a secret op of his.  When Decima hit the machine with Finch's virus, they forced it to self-heal and re-write its programming (which Finch couldn't do cuz he'd locked everyone out, including himself).  So I think the AI can now choose to keep its memories, along with other adaptations, etc.  

Archived