F1 2016

Mandzipop

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

That puts Hamilton 1 point behind Rosberg at less than the halfway point of the season. Interesting to see if Hamilton now walks it or if Rosberg can keep the fight alive, and if Red Bull can keep up their mightily impressive rate of improvement.

One of the commentators made the point that Hamilton has used up so many engines already that he's inevitably going to have some punitive penalties when he runs out of his allocation in the second half of the year, that could give Rosberg the change to regain some ground.

it made me laugh when Nico lost his 7th gear and still Verstappen couldn't catch him 

:D, I swear, Mercedes cars are gods

Apparently 7th gear is one of the better gears to lose (probably 1st gear would be best if you don't need to make a pit-stop) since the cars don't actually spend much time in that gear, he might lose a bit of time on the straights having to skip directly to 8th but it wouldn't be such a huge problem.

I'm not surprised with Kimi new 1 year signing.. the next year car will almost be really new, and Raikkonen's experience as a good racer will play big role there!
P.S. Verstappen now has more podiums in his 2 year career than his father, Jos 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Red Bull pulled off a win here when they were on the downslide, so hopefully they can get something now they're on their way back up.

It could be a decent track for McLaren as well, although I doubt they'll challenging the Mercs or the Red Bulls.

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

Red Bull pulled off a win here when they were on the downslide, so hopefully they can get something now they're on their way back up.

as long as there's a race. Red Bull being ahead from start to finish is still dull. A dream scenario would be both teams being roughly equal and strategies being split with all four drivers fighting to win. Although I'm sure team orders would quickly solidify if constructor championships were at risk.

Potentially McLaren could challenge for 7/8 here, and maybe 5/6 if the Ferraris can't get their tyres working properly (a major problem for them all season).

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

Potentially McLaren could challenge for 7/8 here, and maybe 5/6 if the Ferraris can't get their tyres working properly (a major problem for them all season).

just waiting for another dose of excuses from Maurizio Arrivabene.
he's so annoying.
Really sad for Vettel this season

I think they pushed the design for the Ferrari a bit too far this year before it could handle it and as a result they borked the reliability. Mercedes risked doing the same thing, but they seem to have recovered somewhat. Red Bull seem to have gone for the longer haul and been a bit surprised at being able to capitalise as well as they have.

It'd be nice if Red Bull now admitted that they were wrong to try to drop Renault. If they had, they'd be nowhere now.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

This is possibly the longest 20 minutes I've ever lived!

Interesting qualifying nevertheless.

It's a pity the grid wasn't as mixed up in the end as it was at some of the intermediate points, especially with Hamilton only scraping through Q2 but at least there was the late twist of Rosberg stealing the pole from Hamilton.

4 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It's a pity the grid wasn't as mixed up in the end as it was at some of the intermediate points, especially with Hamilton only scraping through Q2 but at least there was the late twist of Rosberg stealing the pole from Hamilton.

In the end the grid did look "business as usual". You'd think Hamilton would have learned by now not to abandon a lap when Rosberg is still on track. This must be around the third time he's paid for that.

12 minutes ago, red snow said:

In the end the grid did look "business as usual". You'd think Hamilton would have learned by now not to abandon a lap when Rosberg is still on track. This must be around the third time he's paid for that.

Do you mean his final lap? I don't think he had any choice in that case because he had to slow down for the yellow flags for Alonso spinning in front of him.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

Do you mean his final lap? I don't think he had any choice in that case because he had to slow down for the yellow flags for Alonso spinning in front of him.

i think that was probably the case to be fair - although they made out Rosberg was way behind in his first sector. I guess Hamilton had to lift more and sparing the tyres may be worth it. Hamilton hasn't done great from pole this season so probably not a big loss.

That race was really interesting, the hero was definitely Kimi Raikkonen started from 14-th place and finished 6-th. Actually Max Verstappen ruined Raikkonen's tactics with the second illegal defending move against Kimi's attacks

Potentially McLaren could challenge for 7/8 here

As was prophecised :)  Well, for qualifying anyway.

The rest of this season is going to get a bit dull if Hamilton now romps it home, but Rosberg is already looking defeated. If Rosberg can stay in touch, then he might still have a shot when Hamilton gets the now-almost-inevitable penalties from his technical issues later in the season.

• 5 weeks later...

That's what Hamilton said as well, but the team said if he'd been on the softer tyre he wouldn't have stayed with the frontrunners and might have come under threat from behind. That seems to have been the consensus from the engineers and the critics as well, and Hamilton didn't make an issue of it and seemed happy at the end of the race it was the right call.

Great race for a lot of people, especially Force India. Ferrari screwed up massively just as it looked like they had a track they could perform strongly at. Vettel caused the problems and then moaned about it afterwards but then gave up and seemed to grudgingly accept the blame. Williams are falling back quite a bit now, which makes me wonder if they've switched attention to 2017 already. Solid result for McLaren, they are making big improvements.

Massive crash for Magnusson but he seemed unhurt at the end. Not sure what happened there, that was a really weird place for the car to pull round like that.

Archived