Margaery's Moon Tea

Lost Melnibonean

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

That would be such a dangerous game. And it would jeopardize Margaery's reputation among the smallfolk, which the Tyrells cared about very much. 

Oh I agree.

On 3/19/2016 at 6:56 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Perhaps, but that's not the way the author sets it up. 

The Spider would know what Margaery uses the moon tea for. But I expect Margaery will give us the explanation at her trial. 

Frankly I think it's odd that she hasn't provided some explanation already. This is what makes me think she's covering for someone else. She's not generally the type of personality to cut her own nose off to spite her face.

The thing is, if she'd been getting it for one of her cousins, I would think they'd have come clean by now. The worst they're guilty of is fornication, and goodness knows they wouldn't be the first maiden(s) married off in a bit of disgrace.

I can't help wondering if she was getting it for Taena. For Taena, it would be a much more serious issue, her being married and her husband wanting more child. It could also help explain why Taena barely stopped to pack on the way out of town. She's basically effed over both the queens if it was for her all along. 

1 minute ago, LadyoftheNorth72 said:

I can't help wondering if she was getting it for Taena. For Taena, it would be a much more serious issue, her being married and her husband wanting more child. It could also help explain why Taena barely stopped to pack on the way out of town. She's basically effed over both the queens if it was for her all along. 

Now that's a very interesting idea, especially if Taena is working for LF or Varys to sow discord. Could it be that she in fact, didn't need the tea at all and merely set up Margaery to get in trouble?

3 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

Now that's a very interesting idea, especially if Taena is working for LF or Varys to sow discord. Could it be that she in fact, didn't need the tea at all and merely set up Margaery to get in trouble?

Exactly, plus feeding the ideas to Cersei to really cause a mess.

3 minutes ago, LadyoftheNorth72 said:

Exactly, plus feeding the ideas to Cersei to really cause a mess.

Yeah, first she ingratiated herself with Cersei by testifying against Tyrion, and then basically played her like a harp. 

It is possible that, given the severity of the accusation, Margaery has to wait for the trial where the "culprit" will testify about the moon tea, but with Pycelle murdered and Taena gone, things don't look good for her.

I don't see Margaery asking Pycelle to prepare moon tea for for so she can give it to Teana secretly. What I could see is Taena, especially if she's working for Varys on Team Aegon, asking Pycelle to prepare moon tea for Margaery without Margaery's knowledge. I like that idea a lot. 

13 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't see Margaery asking Pycelle to prepare moon tea for for so she can give it to Teana secretly. What I could see is Taena, especially if she's working for Varys on Team Aegon, asking Pycelle to prepare moon tea for Margaery without Margaery's knowledge. I like that idea a lot. 

Well, it certainly has its appeal, but Pycelle's phrasing makes it sound that Margaery was the one making the request.

2 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

Well, it certainly has its appeal, but Pycelle's phrasing makes it sound that Margaery was the one making the request.

Could be that Taena told Pycelle it was for Margery but he omitted her name bc of her friendship with Cersei. 

22 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't think so. Pycelle would not have viewed that as proof for Marg not being a maiden for one. And if Cersei found out it was Taena who asked for it she might still use it, but she'd also find it at least "suspect". 

Also for this to be true, omitting Taena from question only holds up until the trial. As soon as someone starts asking Pycelle questions he'll throw Taena under the bus. So its not very probable in my view.

The Taena theory is interesting - I believe her to be a triple agent Varys has planted to help (as if help was required) sow discord between the Lannisters and the Tyrells. That said, as far as the Moon Tea is concerned, I have always wondered if it has multiple purposes in the same way as the contraceptive pill does in our own world. 

If Moon Tea were also to be used to treat menstrual issues, then it would explain why Margaery takes it secretly - menstrual issues could be perceived as fertility issues by some and Margaery's primary role is ultimately to provide an heir for her husband. A girl perceived to be barren would have a hard time finding a husband, regardless of her name.

4 minutes ago, Sigella said:

I don't think so. Pycelle would not have viewed that as proof for Marg not being a maiden for one. And if Cersei found out it was Taena who asked for it she might still use it, but she'd also find it at least "suspect". 

Also for this to be true, omitting Taena from question only holds up until the trial. As soon as someone starts asking Pycelle questions he'll throw Taena under the bus. So its not very probable in my view.

Pycelle is a Lannister man.  He would definitely omit Cercei's friend Taena and point at Margery if he had been told that it was for Margery. 

15 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Pycelle is a Lannister man.  He would definitely omit Cercei's friend Taena and point at Margery if he had been told that it was for Margery. 

And Marg would deny it, and say "well I certainly never asked you for it, so who did?" whereupon Pycelle spills the beans. You don't see the sloppiness in this?

addition:

1 would anyone in the Faith ever believe that Cersei's new bestie is reliable in this? No.

2 since its so sloppy I'd even doubt it that Cersei would appreciate this

3 so why would Taena (who doesn't seem stupid) do it? There is absolutely nothing to win if it doesn't work. And it doesn't work.

2 hours ago, Sigella said:

And Marg would deny it, and say "well I certainly never asked you for it, so who did?" whereupon Pycelle spills the beans. You don't see the sloppiness in this?

addition:

1 would anyone in the Faith ever believe that Cersei's new bestie is reliable in this? No.

2 since its so sloppy I'd even doubt it that Cersei would appreciate this

3 so why would Taena (who doesn't seem stupid) do it? There is absolutely nothing to win if it doesn't work. And it doesn't work.

Perhaps she did deny it when she was taken into custody. We don't  know since it was "off screen." Perhaps she will deny it at her trial. 

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Perhaps she did deny it when she was taken into custody. We don't  know since it was "off screen." Perhaps she will deny it at her trial. 

What I said applies in both interrogation/investigation and trial, I think?

22 minutes ago, Sigella said:

What I said applies in both interrogation/investigation and trial, I think?

Right, but as far as Varys and Team Aegon are concerned, the accusation is out there and the damage has been done. Cersei will be able to say that the Tyrells silenced Pycelle. 

54 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Right, but as far as Varys and Team Aegon are concerned, the accusation is out there and the damage has been done. Cersei will be able to say that the Tyrells silenced Pycelle. 

The damage done is depending on the results of the trial. If the trial shows thats Cersei's new bestie was in the thick'o'things Moon Tea-wise it significantly weakens the case against Marg. (if not obliterates, since its pretty much resting on this and the Kettleblacks)

Archived