Did anyone else like reading about the Cinnamon Wind during AFFC?

Abdallah

So I finished reading AFFC like a month ago. And without a doubt my favorite chapter was the one with the Cinnamon Wind. I liked that Gilly and Samwell finally made love. My favorite part was when Gilly and Sam talked about Kojja Mo. Gilly said at first she was scared of Kojja cause Kojja was black and Gilly never saw a black person, and then said Kojja was a good person and that she liked her. It was one of the little things that warmed me up. Anyone else enjoy reading it? and if you like a different chapter let me know. 

Gotta admit I said "Yay" out loud when I first read this part.  So much shipping of characters when there is a really sweet love story unfolding.   Gilly finds such an obvious still unexpected way to deal with her grief and loss and sadness on top of all Sams.   And the talk Sam is given about life. It's perfect.  The crew of the Cinnamon Wind is one of the few groups anyone in the story comes across who actually tried to help.   Their willingness to help is refreshing.   I'm interested to see if Gilly and the baby made it off the ship or if they will travel with Marwyn and maybe even Maester Aemon's body and why.   And what of all the books?    Further, I'm hoping the experience aboard the Cinnamon Wind  will help develop Sam's ideas about honor.   Gilly might be  the most well-travelled Wildling in the story--can't help but wonder what is in store for her.    

As with all the Sam chapters in that book, I felt it was overly long (I say we club together and buy George's editor a box of red pens) but it was nice. I like the crew of the ship; they're decent people, which is always a refreshing thing in this tale. Gilly finally stopped weeping as well, which was a huge relief.

I love the Cinnamon Wind crew! Summer Islanders really seem to have their shit together compared to other cultures. 

There is a theory that the ship will leave before Sam gets back to it. I doubt it, but it's fun to imagine Gilly and Kojja becoming besties as they sail around the world.

I do love this chapter, but even beyond it the Cinnamon Wind and crew pop up in the background of the story in cool ways. The captain is the guy Jorah brings to see Dany's baby dragons in Qarth, and Dany promises him a boon when she becomes queen...so I wonder if that will come back around later. Especially if Marwyn takes the SW to meet Dany. 

Sam's are some of my favorite chapters. I think we will see the Cinnamon Wind and crew again and will play another big role in the story and I'm really excited. I like to believe the Summer Islanders will come to the foreground of another storyline. I also wonder what kind of role Jalahbar Xho might play in King's Landing. I know he's been named as of Marg's lovers but he was one of the first characters we meet at Robert's court in AGOT and get his backstory about being a banished prince... I've always felt like we got that backstory and have hoped for it to come full circle.

Anyone have any thoughts on him?

(sorry I'm getting a little off topic)

1 hour ago, Blind Beth the Cat Lady said:

I love the Cinnamon Wind crew! Summer Islanders really seem to have their shit together compared to other cultures. 

There is a theory that the ship will leave before Sam gets back to it. I doubt it, but it's fun to imagine Gilly and Kojja becoming besties as they sail around the world.

I do love this chapter, but even beyond it the Cinnamon Wind and crew pop up in the background of the story in cool ways. The captain is the guy Jorah brings to see Dany's baby dragons in Qarth, and Dany promises him a boon when she becomes queen...so I wonder if that will come back around later. Especially if Marwyn takes the SW to meet Dany. 

Well Marwyn was in a hurry and I think he left right away. He make have had a previous connection with the Cinnamon Wind but that is a discussion for another time. 

Archived