Skahaz is scum

Abdallah

Ok so I'm reading ADOD and it seems Daenerys has found herself a beast in Skahaz. It was Lord Tywin did say every lord needs a beast, and he was no stranger to them, ala The Mountain, The Tickler, Ser Amory, and Vargo Hoat. Stannis himself has Clayton Suggs. Skahaz is a really shitty guy, who convinced Daenerys to let him torture a little girl in front of her dad (who might of been innocent). The piece of shit also wanted to kill the cupbearers but Daenerys finally realized the masters were humans too and refused to allow him. So I think I added the asshole to my list of people I want dead. Am I being too unfair to Skahaz or is he just another scumbag?

If there's one ghiscari who's gonna help Dany rule Meereen, it's the Shavepate.

He's gross, he's ugly, he's mean, but he gets results. Maybe that dude whose daughter he tortured was innocent, but that kind of shit happens in every regime in the series: Qyburn, brave companions, Boltons, even Mord to an extent. He created the brazen beasts and they were effective, not to mention his advice, while paranoid, was usually based in sound reasoning. 

I'm not saying he isn't a piece of shit, cuz he is but he's a pretty useful turd to have around. 

5 minutes ago, The Skinner said:

If there's one ghiscari who's gonna help Dany rule Meereen, it's the Shavepate.

He's gross, he's ugly, he's mean, but he gets results. Maybe that dude whose daughter he tortured was innocent, but that kind of shit happens in every regime in the series: Qyburn, brave companions, Boltons, even Mord to an extent. He created the brazen beasts and they were effective, not to mention his advice, while paranoid, was usually based in sound reasoning. 

I'm not saying he isn't a piece of shit, cuz he is but he's a pretty useful turd to have around. 

He's what Tywin calls, a Beast. Best to control them though. Daenerys has him too high up. If he wasn't a councilor she would only of had him torture the merchant. Torturing his daughter though? well if Skahaz died a horrible death I would be happy. Daenerys has to control her mad dog. If and when the story of the merchants daughter spreads, alot more Meereense will join the SoH. 

I think everyone is forgetting that he is a noble, from the House of Kandak, who had a more modest pyramid and place in society than some of the others, mainly Loraq. They were probably shit on before Dany's arrival, were elevated while she was there, and were relegated back to the shit pit after she left and Hizdar ruled in her stead. House Kandak's survival is tightly bound to Dany's continued rule in Mereen and it's established order. He can't afford to betray her, he and his house have forever turned their backs on Old Mereen, shaved their pates, formed Brazen Beasts, fighting with Barristen for Mereen itself, where the books left off. Yes, he's not too honorable or too unwilling to stoop to the level his enemy has reached themself. When in Rome, do as the Romans, when in Mereen, do as the Mereneese. And who better than one to show the way. He knew what the SoH were capable of, and wished to answer fire with fire. 

Not an overly likeable character, but that's how he's written to be, and it's done well, to draw ire and suspicion towards him.

13 minutes ago, Lil Jon Snow said:

Can someone refresh my memory about him torturing the little girl? nothing is coming to mind

read the Daenerys chapters in ADOD. it's the one where 9 of her guys got killed

37 minutes ago, Lil Jon Snow said:

Can someone refresh my memory about him torturing the little girl? nothing is coming to mind

It's from Daenerys II in ADWD. Dany is getting told about the murders, how two Unsullied were poisoned in a wine shop they had been visiting every night, and that the owner and his daughters had been arrested. Dany says to question them 'sweetly', then hears news about a harpist who was also murdered (in another location), gets angry, changes her mind and says the Shavepate should question the wineseller 'sharply'. He then suggests he question the daughters sharply while the father watches, and Dany agrees.

And yeah, this guy is awful. He seems to have zero moral scruples, willing to do anything that will give his side the advantage. He also suggests the equivalent of a Red Wedding when they're talking about how to defeat the entrenched slaver families. 

Yes, you're being fair to the Shavepate. Finish the book and then check out the Meereneese Knot (analysis blog) for even more reasons why he sucks.

But I do take issue with saying that Dany has found a beast in him like Tywin did with the Mountain. Tywin knew what the Mountain was for decades and kept using him for that express purpose. Dany has been resisting the Shavepate's more brutal advice for the most part and will continue to do so. Dany isn't keeping the Shavepate around to do her dirty work. She keeps him around because he seems very loyal and knows the culture well.  In a moment of anger she gives him his head in the torture chamber. A bad call, but it hardly makes her Tywin.

8 minutes ago, Blind Beth the Cat Lady said:

Yes, you're being fair to the Shavepate. Finish the book and then check out the Meereneese Knot (analysis blog) for even more reasons why he sucks.

But I do take issue with saying that Dany has found a beast in him like Tywin did with the Mountain. Tywin knew what the Mountain was for decades and kept using him for that express purpose. Dany has been resisting the Shavepate's more brutal advice for the most part and will continue to do so. Dany isn't keeping the Shavepate around to do her dirty work. She keeps him around because he seems very loyal and knows the culture well.  In a moment of anger she gives him his head in the torture chamber. A bad call, but it hardly makes her Tywin.

Daenerys and Tywin are very different. But it seems like all the factions have these beasts of men. Yes Tywin has the Mountain, but he's not the only one. Tyrion had the clansmen and Bronn, Stannis has Clayton Suggs, heck the Arryns have Mord. It's not that it's bad to have a beast. Daenerys should not use him as a councilor. Yeah when she's calm she rejects his horrible advice, BTW shoutout to Reznak Mo Reznak for trying to counter the brute, but when she gets angry she opens herself to his bad morals. He has a purpose and it's not advising Daenerys. 

Skahaz is a scumbag but no different from most of the Westerosi lords anyway. He wants to eliminate his rivals by using the hatred Dany has on other noble families. Every time he advises to use violence on the other nobles. But I don't think he personally enjoys torture like Suggs nor he is a man who is used to do the dirty job like the Mountain or Amory. He is more similar to Varys in influencing the ruler to eliminate his enemies and in employing torture too. I also believe he poisoned the locusts.

That makes him a bad guy but not to the level of Suggs or the Mountain. 

1 minute ago, khal drogon said:

Skahaz is a scumbag but no different from most of the Westerosi lords anyway. He wants to eliminate his rivals by using the hatred Dany has on other noble families. Every time he advises to use violence on the other nobles. But I don't think he personally enjoys torture like Suggs nor he is a man who is used to do the dirty job like the Mountain or Amory. He is more similar to Varys in influencing the ruler to eliminate his enemies and in employing torture too. I also believe he poisoned the locusts.

That makes him a bad guy but not to the level of Suggs or the Mountain. 

I don't know dude he seemed to really like hurting kids. After all it was he who advised Daenerys to let him torture the girl in front of her dad, and who wants to hurt the cup bearers. 

1 minute ago, Abdallah said:

I don't know dude he seemed to really like hurting kids. After all it was he who advised Daenerys to let him torture the girl in front of her dad, and who wants to hurt the cup bearers. 

Yeah he is violent and pretty cruel. The man has no morals but you know men like him are surprisingly very normal in asoiaf.

3 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

Yeah he is violent and pretty cruel. The man has no morals but you know men like him are surprisingly very normal in asoiaf.

Yep. there seems to be alot of psychopaths in Westeros

4 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

Yes. Exactly. Seems like most people posting can't take that character in context, and wish to view him through what is the norm in real life. It's not applicable and it's disassociative. He's nothing as horrible as other 'Beasts' when viewed from the proper perspective.

Archived